RUMOURS: CINEMA AND NANDOS COMING TO SYDENHAM

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
Syddersisters

Re: RUMOURS: CINEMA AND NANDOS COMING TO SYDENHAM

Post by Syddersisters »

Wow exciting, well done to them for taking the space! Everyone loves a cheeky Nandos and it's affordable.

Lewisham is apparently the only London Borough without a cinema! Who will get one first! There have been 2 Cinemas in Sydenham in the past at the Coop & Post Office building. Check out this beautiful read! Hope it's a Picturehouse!

https://lewishamlostcinemas.wordpress.c ... t-cinemas/
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Lee and Stuart and Mosy : yes and yes and yes - interesting street furniture , seating , street sculpture - all could stop morons driving their cars onto the pavements - and if that fails - crush them ( and their cars ) .
Seriously if we can't keep our pavements safe how do we promote a social streetscape for everyone to enjoy ? Well still idiots on bikes scowling at us as we scatter and the monthly mad max motorbikes - ( big thank you to the moron who sprayed something noxious in my face whilst I was jogging past them ) but least we won't have cars .
Intended in a wholly positive way - having been to Joke Countries in my younger days - you really appreciate how nice a proper walking street with seats and plants and trees really is - as opposed to fume-spewing cars and motor bikes clogging up the place .

Bit of a distraction from the Nando discussion but hopefully within parameters
A very good afternoon
Nigel
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Stuart, you can't stop the Masters of the Universe parking where they like!
MagmaTimes

Post by MagmaTimes »

Syddersisters wrote:
Lewisham is apparently the only London Borough without a cinema!

https://lewishamlostcinemas.wordpress.c ... t-cinemas/
There's a nice cinema in Deptford....
JRobinson

Post by JRobinson »

stuart, if you change the settings on your camera to display the date/time stamp on the image, you can submit photo's like that to Lewisham, and they'll be valid evidence of offence committed - if you send enough of them, lewisham will eventually do something (that might be blocking your email address, but it'll be something).
Steveofsyd

Post by Steveofsyd »

Great news
It's about time we started getting stuff that will keep people around for business (I'm thinking families) rather that Sydenham being a cut through to other areas
It will hopefully enliven the "square" at the top .
angela53

Post by angela53 »

Just seen a "To Let" sign go up so perhaps was only a rumour after all
parker

Post by parker »

angela53 wrote:Just seen a "To Let" sign go up so perhaps was only a rumour after all
:? How can it be a rumour if...
Whitey wrote:Decided to tweet them and pretend my knowledge on them coming was more than just a rumour- looks like they've confirmed it ;)

https://ibb.co/cQbTd5

Now to tweet M&S and Waitrose to get them to take that Budgens space...
Bovine Juice

Post by Bovine Juice »

Unless the social media team don't bother checking facts before responding... :?
Parker1970

Post by Parker1970 »

parker wrote:
angela53 wrote:Just seen a "To Let" sign go up so perhaps was only a rumour after all
:? How can it be a rumour if...
Whitey wrote:Decided to tweet them and pretend my knowledge on them coming was more than just a rumour- looks like they've confirmed it ;)

https://ibb.co/cQbTd5

Now to tweet M&S and Waitrose to get them to take that Budgens space...
Perhaps Nando's is coming to Sydenham, but not in that unit? Dun Dun Daaaaaaaaaaaan.
monkeyarms

Post by monkeyarms »

or perhaps the To Let sign refers to space elsewhere in the same building? It's a big building after all...
KEVD

Post by KEVD »

The sign is for other units available.
Likelife

Post by Likelife »

According to the HNF website, the sign is for Zanzibar not the main building. It is misleading, the picture of it and where the sign is. 60k per year.
http://www.hnfproperty.com/property/291 ... -se26-4eq/
Tadpole

Post by Tadpole »

No more businesses that need parking please.
I live on Collingtree Road and Parking is dreadful now due to the 24 hour gym. It was bad enough prior to that due to station parking.
When they gym users arrive they park in the middle of 2 spaces (if they're lucky enough to find one that big) then do a 3 point turn bumping cars as they do it to leave. I've had to replace a bumper, 2 dents knocked out and a respray on a bit since last summer alone. Why they don't just go around the block or do a turn at the top of the road I don't know.
There is no room for any more cars nearby. I have Rheumatoid Arthritis in my hands and feet. Not bad enough to be classed as disabled but bad enough that I can't carry shopping bags or walk a long way.
I've had to park at the bottom of Kinver Road and leave shopping in the car because I can't carry it back. A walk down to the shops takes me 3 times as long as it did 2 years ago and I can only carry one light bag.
I hope it's something else personally.
gillyjp

Post by gillyjp »

gillyjp wrote:If true this is bad news for immediate residents. Has anyone thought about the resulting parking issues this will generate?

It's bad enough with commuters, Pure Gym users and Sainsburys Local shoppers vying for spaces not to mention long suffering residents who merely want to park in the road they live in. Unless there is provision for parking this latest venture would be a nightmare for immediate residents and surely Lewisham council would have to introduce a CPZ....
Tadpole - not sure if you saw my earlier post so I've copied it above. As a local resident and car owner, I am with you on this. Trouble is it is only going to get worse. I understand that there is planning permission sought for residential development over the top of what would be Nandos, etc. Lewisham, in their infinite wisdom, will only grant planning permission to residential developments which DO NOT HAVE any parking provision. This means therefore that there will be even more demand for spaces in the area. I've got to the stage where I hardly take my car anywhere now unless it is to do the weekly shop or if going on a longish journey. It's insane. We really need a 10.00am to midday parking restriction attached to a CPZ where residents only can park during that restricted time - I'd happily buy a permit. It would stop the commuter parking at a stroke which I am convinced is the root of the problem.
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

A CPZ is the only way to stop it. Gillyjp is right, going against empty units being turned into businesses or property development because it will make it more difficult to park outside your house isn't the answer.

Speak to your local cllrs and the new MP when she is elected. If they don't act on it, speak up until they solve the problem.
prince

Post by prince »

I've heard rumours that nandos are currently reviewing their position and might very well pull out, partly due to some local meddling. While nandos might not be everyone's cup of tea it would at least bring a large vacant premises on a landmark site back into use and help to improve the local offer for those who want to eat out locally.
Likelife

Post by Likelife »

Local meddling? Oh for f sake. I've been wondering why its taken so long for the application to be approved.
parker

Post by parker »

prince wrote:I've heard rumours that nandos are currently reviewing their position and might very well pull out, partly due to some local meddling. While nandos might not be everyone's cup of tea it would at least bring a large vacant premises on a landmark site back into use and help to improve the local offer for those who want to eat out locally.
When you say rumours, can you elaborate on what you've heard here?

It wouldn't be the same meddling people that wanted community value status for the Windmill would it? Because that unit with suffer the same fate.

Ridiculous that some people in Sydenham have the time to do these things and prevent the economic viability of Sydenham time after time and spoil it for the rest of us.

I guess if we promised to travel by horse and cart to buy a cheeky Nando's they might leave things alone..?