RUMOURS: CINEMA AND NANDOS COMING TO SYDENHAM

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
Timbo79

Re: sticky:RUMOURS: CINEMA AND NANDOS COMING TO SYDENHAM

Post by Timbo79 »

Ate there tonight. Standard Nandos fare with the to-be-expected teething issues... long wait for the food and some of it was a bit over done when it arrived... all in all though it looks good inside and the staff are friendly and the initial wrinkles will be ironed out.
georgecullen

Post by georgecullen »

Tried to go to Nando’s tonight, waiting time way to long . An hour once you have your table! That’s not service. If they can’t even sort that out. I understand a long wait for a table but once you are sat down I expect to be served with good time.

I wanted this venture to succeed. I’m sure I will try again. Cobs corner as a food hub would be amazing. Let’s hope things get going when mama dough move in. I would love the empty units opposite the gym to get food places in.
Holaquease

Post by Holaquease »

georgecullen wrote:Tried to go to Nando’s tonight, waiting time way to long . An hour once you have your table! That’s not service. If they can’t even sort that out. I understand a long wait for a table but once you are sat down I expect to be served with good time.
Day 1 with a new team... Give them a chance.
noangel

Post by noangel »

Holaquease wrote:
georgecullen wrote:Tried to go to Nando’s tonight, waiting time way to long . An hour once you have your table! That’s not service. If they can’t even sort that out. I understand a long wait for a table but once you are sat down I expect to be served with good time.
Day 1 with a new team... Give them a chance.
Exactly! It was their first day being opened and if you looked at the staff's name badges, most of them had 'trainee'. The staff were all very pleasant and patient. The majority of customers were excited and delighted with Nando's finally being opened.

I went last night to collect a takeaway. They got my order partly wrong but I don't care, while I was looking forward to the corn cob, the coleslaw was rather nice. I am definitely going back but I will wait until things calm down a bit for them. It's a marvellous addition to Sydenham.

What I did notice, that whole area was buzzing which is unusual for a Wednesday night. The Greyhound was busy with people who couldn't get a table at Nando's or had moved onto the Greyhound for a post Nando's drink. Sainsbury's was busy with people buying cheaper drinks to go with their takeaway. I'm so very pleased that Nando's has proved all the naysayers wrong on it's official opening day. Plus proud that the Sydenham community went out en masse to support it's opening.
Last edited by noangel on 23 Aug 2018 14:06, edited 1 time in total.
The Clown

Post by The Clown »

This is fantastic!
So difficult to predict trade levels at and around launch date.
It will find it’s pace and will no doubt be successful.
Yay for Sydenham!
mosy

Post by mosy »

I just popped in for a takeaway menu (c.5.30pm). The leaflets are just inside the front door on the little reception desk. I note the leaflet says you can book online, or via their app and that "all orders to be collected from the restaurant".

The tables in the front section were almost all occupied (don't know if there are more tables as well), so it's looking good so far.
Parker1970

Post by Parker1970 »

When I went past at 7pm they were turning people away as the kitchen was at capacity. That's to be expected when it has just opened, lots of people want to try it out, just like opening night. I picked up a takeaway menu as I only live across the road.... I can feel the weight gain already.... :)
Newtosydenham

Post by Newtosydenham »

I think Nando’s looks great and it’s fantastic to see that so many people have been enjoying it in its first few days.

Would be great to see the empty sports shop opposite filled with a bar/ cafe/ restaurant. Does anyone know anything about this site?

And any news when Mamma Dough is expecting to open?...
noangel

Post by noangel »

Newtosydenham wrote:
Would be great to see the empty sports shop opposite filled with a bar/ cafe/ restaurant. Does anyone know anything about this site?
That would be awesome! It's great having this restaurant/bar area right next to the station. My non-SE London friends are finally asking to come to me for a night out because they love the Greyhound and are desperately waiting for Mama Dough to open. With the added bonus of the station being nearby. As a matter of fact, some of them are considering buying property in Sydenham with one actually taking the leap a couple of months ago.
Ghlpc

Post by Ghlpc »

Had a standard meal in the Nandos yesterday. I'm not a lover but do take the family occasionally.

What was clear was that demand for in house eating is great. They were turning people away and also not taking any more food orders for deliveries.

I would imagine this has coincided with the school holidays and the first weekend being a bank holiday, but let's hope the demand continues and they can keep up/adjust with it.

What it also shows to me is the demand for evening eat outs in the area, especially that end of Sydenham. Independents are great of course but they are niche, the chains are a bit more universal and appeal to a broader market. Of course a mix of the two would be ideal.

I think this, together with the Greyhound and soon to be open Mama Dough, could be the start of somethkng at Cobbs Corner ....

If they all prove to be a success, then more will follow in sure...

Shame KFH got that unit, it would have really made a destination there.
clembot

Post by clembot »

NAAAANDOS!
prince

Post by prince »

Admin

Now that Nandos has successfully opened and is a popular venue for a great many local people, I do not think this needs to be a sticky anymore.

Thanks
SydLowe

Post by SydLowe »

Tried to go for a meal in Nando's last night at 7.30pm, all tables full and 4 names ahead of me on the "waiting list". Is this acceptable for a chain chicken establishment? The demand is obviously exceeding the capacity at present. Is the restuarant big enough to cater for our appetite for peri-peri? Or is this a sign of the dearth of dining establishments in Sydders?

I hope Mamma Dough's arrival will help the situation.
Sydering

Post by Sydering »

prince wrote:Admin

Now that Nandos has successfully opened and is a popular venue for a great many local people, I do not think this needs to be a sticky anymore.

Thanks
But we don't have a cinema, so more work is needed!! :D
prince

Post by prince »

Sydering wrote:
prince wrote:Admin

Thanks
But we don't have a cinema, so more work is needed!! :D

Hello sydering. Yes we don’t but now the Everyman is moving to Crystal Palace there’s no chance we will get a cinema in Sydenham now unfortunately!