RUMOURS: CINEMA AND NANDOS COMING TO SYDENHAM

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
Holaquease

Re: sticky:RUMOURS: CINEMA AND NANDOS COMING TO SYDENHAM

Post by Holaquease »

It's a shame the chicken isn't free range.
(I mean that from an ethical perspective)
mosy

Post by mosy »

In theory, I agree with you Holaquease about free range chicken that it would be nice if... However, most people don't buy free range chicken at home (cost) so would they pay more to eat it if going out to dine at a mid-range restaurant?

Shouldn't the finger be pointed instead at the legal standards that butchers, supermarkets and restaurants universally rely on from suppliers and processors and what is primarily available and bought otherwise? Surely all chicken and meat animals should be treated properly, not just those for selective restaurants.

Nando's and others could lead the way in free range and perhaps in time they will with a lot of trumpet blowing coupled with hopefully a sea change of attitude from consumers. It seems to have worked for free range eggs (judging by shelf space) so maybe it just takes time.

Meanwhile, Nando's do offer an extensive menu per their online menu. Might have to wait until our branch opens to see what their menu is but I'm optimistic re choice even if it'll take me an hour to decide. Hopefully they'll have take out menus to peruse at leisure.
Growsydenham

Post by Growsydenham »

KFH next to the Greyhound doesn't look like it's opening any time soon...
parker

Post by parker »

Growsydenham wrote:KFH next to the Greyhound doesn't look like it's opening any time soon...
I know, such a shame we’re currently unable to enjoy the wonderful service and atmosphere that such a great and exciting new concept will provide its prominent locality on our high street once it opens :lol:
parker

Post by parker »

TredownMan wrote:Council have now signed off the shopfront designs for Nandos
Is how the sign currently looks the finished article? Prince?

Looks unfinished if that is the case.
TredownMan

Post by TredownMan »

Believe it is Parker

For some reason, the designs as originally submitted were changed for the current ones. Perhaps someone complained.

Difference is here: https://m.imgur.com/a/5L0nG1d

Personally I preferred the brighter originals to the battleship grey. Yellow wall tiles are good though.
stuart

Post by stuart »

I think by any artistic, even commercial measure, the original is an asset. The funeral grey's only merit is it's marginally less worse than Ring O' Roses.

What an opportunity lost. Is there a conspiracy to lower the quality of Sydenham and damage business?

Who is going to stand up and defend the change?

Stuart
prince

Post by prince »

The original signage was vibrant. However I feel the conservation officer was wrong in their attempt at dumbing this down.

Perhaps they might spend a bit more time in trying to get the rest of the building restored which is in desperate need of care and attention. Nandos investment makes the rest of the building’s fabric, particularly the upper stories, look poor in comparison.
stuart

Post by stuart »

prince wrote:The original signage was vibrant. However I feel the conservation officer was wrong in their attempt at dumbing this down.
Indeed and our councillors have long campaigned for a vibrant high street using just that word. If they couldn't get this one through what hope is there for a well designed and attractive high street?

The Greyhound was a great success. Are we in danger of snatching defeat from the jaws of success?

Stuart
TredownMan

Post by TredownMan »

i mean great that it's opening, and better than a shuttered frontage. but the insistence on Farrow and Ball paint schemes is very funny.
mosy

Post by mosy »

Assuming "Nando's" was never intended as a lightbox, what was wrong with the red?

I can get behind the wooden windows rather than aluminium. I think the decorative steel screen insets might be intended as a partial privacy element to avoid diners being in a goldfish bowl so I can't see why they weren't permitted. (Unless they still are as interior fitments.)

Maybe Nando's will be allowed "flying buttress"(?) signs in their company colour at front and corner. E.g. like Barclays has a cobalt blue one, Will Hill a navy etc one, pharmacies and barbers their typical colours. Or maybe Nando's could paint the fascia name in reflective paint that'll sparkle at night? Funerary grey, as said, is most depressing. Thank goodness Nando's have tenacity in wanting to proceed. I wonder if Dallas Chicken will be allowed its company colours, if it comes to pass, or will all signs be dismal grey from now on?
stuart

Post by stuart »

mosy wrote:...or will all signs be dismal grey from now on?
Yes we must have a concerted write-in protest to the Conservation Officer for allowing his Council to pollute our treasured High Street with all those outlandish blue rubbish bins. I believe in Richmond they have to be black - but grey is the new black so my hip friends tell me ...

Stuart :shock:
TredownMan

Post by TredownMan »

Amusing as we all know that shop previously had had red and even orange signage. And who knows what colour it was painted by Mr Cobbs? Plus the greyhound had previously been bright blue and red.

"Conservation" -- or just an imagined version of the past?
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

I don’t the Nando’s livery , which seems to be everywhere , is anything anyone will miss . One mans vibrant is another mans poxy ,garish chicken shop etc.
I think the frontage as it stands cause less offence than other Nando’s shops and I doubt anyone hell bent on visiting it will have any difficulty finding it - it will have bumper to bumper cars on the pavement outside stretching from halfway up Kirkdale to the crossing by the station .
appletree

Post by appletree »

I'm sorry they were not allowed their branding, but it looks very nice, as does what I can glimpse of the interior.

Does anyone know when Mamma Dough will open?
parker

Post by parker »

The grey looks smart but the grooves from the triangles within the lettering make it look as if something is amiss.

Why can’t they sand the lettering down somehow, like this? Would make the biggest difference.

southernmoose

Post by southernmoose »

With respect @parker l think there are bigger fish to fry than the lettering on a Nandos sign....

[1quote="parker"]The grey looks smart but the grooves from the triangles within the lettering make it look as if something is amiss.

Why can’t they sand the lettering down somehow, like this? Would make the biggest difference.

Image[/quote]
parker

Post by parker »

southernmoose wrote:With respect @parker l think there are bigger fish to fry than the lettering on a Nandos sign....

[1quote="parker"]The grey looks smart but the grooves from the triangles within the lettering make it look as if something is amiss.

[/quote]

Evidently not, someone was frying this fish for a long time and doing everything they could to stand in the way hence the signage. Anyway, two fingers up to them, the place will be open in a week or so.
JMLF

Post by JMLF »

Open for business!
KEVD

Post by KEVD »

Looked busy when I walked past earlier.