RUMOURS: CINEMA AND NANDOS COMING TO SYDENHAM

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
synesthesiac

Re: RUMOURS: CINEMA AND NANDOS COMING TO SYDENHAM

Post by synesthesiac »

If a cinema opened in Sydenham with any kind of membership scheme I would become a member immediately! I'm already a Picturehouse member but would be even more delighted if it was an independent.

I'd give Nandos a miss though. Ooooverrated. Rather have a good Greek or Turkish restaurant.
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

What is fairly good news is that Nandos do a lot of research before opening. They clearly think it's a good place to invest in.

Whether you like them or not, it's a sign of confidence in Sydenham.
JayB

Post by JayB »

and young people like and can often afford nandos. I would not like to be young here myself.
Whitey

Post by Whitey »

Decided to tweet them and pretend my knowledge on them coming was more than just a rumour- looks like they've confirmed it ;)

https://ibb.co/cQbTd5

Now to tweet M&S and Waitrose to get them to take that Budgens space...
monkeyarms

Post by monkeyarms »

JayB wrote:I would not like to be young here myself.
I'd be happy to be young anywhere! :)

But I see quite a few young people in Sydenham, Penge and Forest Hill. Young in the sense of 20somethings and school-age teenagers. Sure, there's no nightlife to speak of, but the Orange line makes it very easy to get to the clubs, bars and container-park-eateries of Dalston et al. While Crystal Palace is walkable and Brixton is a couple of stops from Penge East. I suspect many of the local 20somethings are here because of Sydenham being a relatively affordable node on that Orange line.
prince

Post by prince »

Whitey wrote:Decided to tweet them and pretend my knowledge on them coming was more than just a rumour- looks like they've confirmed it ;)

Well done Whitey!
gillyjp

Post by gillyjp »

If true this is bad news for immediate residents. Has anyone thought about the resulting parking issues this will generate?

It's bad enough with commuters, Pure Gym users and Sainsburys Local shoppers vying for spaces not to mention long suffering residents who merely want to park in the road they live in. Unless there is provision for parking this latest venture would be a nightmare for immediate residents and surely Lewisham council would have to introduce a CPZ....
Likelife

Post by Likelife »

gillyjp wrote:If true this is bad news for immediate residents. Has anyone thought about the resulting parking issues this will generate?

It's bad enough with commuters, Pure Gym users and Sainsburys Local shoppers vying for spaces not to mention long suffering residents who merely want to park in the road they live in. Unless there is provision for parking this latest venture would be a nightmare for immediate residents and surely Lewisham council would have to introduce a CPZ....
I don't agree really. As an immediate resident (I will be able to see the signage from my windows) I'm not too worried. Most people don't drive to Nando's. Most walk or take a bus or even train. Nando's main audience is young - the people who are the least likely to drive. Even if they do drive, I think people will learn quickly that is not a good idea. However, I'd welcome sensible CPZs any day.
JayB

Post by JayB »

what has been your previous experience with CPZs? We all voted for them in Brixton when i lived there, then within a year bitterly regretted them- you still could not park near your house but the pay -by -results wardens would pounce on residents for such things as "tyre in contact with the kerb" ,"vehicle 2 cms over the bay line" and were even ticketing delivery and removal vans.It gets so freinds will not visit you. You also end up having to buy books of visitors' permits in case say Argos (or Harrods :wink: ) is delivering something - at £20 a book if you don't mind! I would never be tempted to support a CPZ again. They also mean the council soon has to introduce them every where to avoid displacement fro mthe original CPZs- clearly the overall demand of parking does not reduce but venue for the council shoots up.It is like a vote to increase your own council tax but with no extra benefit.
Kingfisher78

Post by Kingfisher78 »

Whitey wrote:Decided to tweet them and pretend my knowledge on them coming was more than just a rumour- looks like they've confirmed it ;)

This is fantastic news! Thank you Whitey! I think it's a great idea to tweet M&S and Waitrose, I will do the same.

Really pleased to hear we will be getting a Nando's, I agree about a need for controlled parking zones though.
Mayowthorpe

Post by Mayowthorpe »

gillyjp wrote:If true this is bad news for immediate residents. Has anyone thought about the resulting parking issues this will generate?

Seriously? If you live in proximity of the station, there will always be an issue with parking.

I am not sure many Sainsbury's Local shoppers would make the effort to drive to the store. The concept of these stores is to pick up on your way home.

Finally some new stores opening on the roundabout; which is a positive thing for the area.
prince

Post by prince »

I fully support the application for a change of use for I think it will be real positive for the town centre, however I do sympathise for those who live nearby. While many people do walk to Sainsurys Local and the gym, some people will always choose to drive. Parking issues are likely to worsen for residents when the Greyhound and Nandos open, unless a CPZ is created.
alowersyd

Post by alowersyd »

Which building will Nandos occupy?
I imagine the cinema (if this rumour is true) would go nicely in the former wedding dress shop!
Parker1970

Post by Parker1970 »

alowersyd wrote:Which building will Nandos occupy?
I imagine the cinema (if this rumour is true) would go nicely in the former wedding dress shop!
Nando's is the wedding dress shop. The cinema I imagine will be the old snooker hall.
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

I know we are not at home to Negative Nancy but ( speaking a propos the parking ) , pavement parking now seems to have normalised - do we not need bollards - nice ones please like the Bellendon Gormley ones ? If we don't surely there is limitless parking ie the entire pavement area of Sydenham .
It now seems to be , unchallenged outside many takeaways , most barbers , blue mountain , where this not space in the bays and on the wider pavement by Cobbs on Westwood hill .
Can we either enforce this and make some money for the high street or some strategically placed bollards ? I suppose next we will have speeding youths on bikes complaining about pedestrians getting in their way whilst manoeuvring around parked cars on the pavement.
I don't see Nando's as a particularly pedestrian eatery ( apart from the food ) so a bit of planning ahead might not be so bad ?

A very good afternoon
Nigel
Pally

Post by Pally »

Who is Negative Nancy?!
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Pally
It is a Mr Garrison-ism ( the sexually confused teacher in South Park ) . A metaphor for pessimism as in " there's no way I'll get that job... - hey! We are NOT at home to Negative Nancy ! Yes you will " .
A very positive morning
Nigel
mosy

Post by mosy »

It seems reasonable to be negative about increased, and probably bad, parking given the imminent cluster of new openings due in the immediate area.

Forethought: Ah yes, that wonderful thing that should have been employed given hindsight ;)

Bollards would work, although as the council seems happier to install useful street furniture as vehicle blockers, why not bench seats, cycle racks, shrub planters, litter bins (if takeaway litter is likely)? They'd appear welcoming and friendly, rather than encourage the notion that Kirkdale and Sydenham Road are but mere TFL through routes.

My positive thinking remains with the area's imminent and active new look :)
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

We recently designed some bollards that were milestones and cycle hoops in laser cut stainless steel. There is much that can be done to put off pavement parkers.

There are one of two ideas here:
https://uk.pinterest.com/dbgp/interesti ... furniture/
stuart

Post by stuart »

leenewham wrote:We recently designed some bollards that were milestones and cycle hoops in laser cut stainless steel. There is much that can be done to put off pavement parkers.
Car Crushing?

Cheaper and less intrusive to the streetscape. Safer too - says one who suffered a nasty head injury when he tripped and fell against a 'safety' bollard.

Here is the sort of chappy who may be a candidate - right opposite Ring'o'Nandos (like that!) last Saturday. MK62 RNY nicely combines the offences of parking right on our busy roundabout obstructing the inner lane, plus double yellow lines and the pavement. Oh and blocking use of the cycle stands too. With the bonus of the white van on the right whose driver became quite threatening once when I asked he didn't do a similar thing.