RUMOURS: CINEMA AND NANDOS COMING TO SYDENHAM

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham

Moderator: frenzarin

Post Reply
prince
Posts: 227
Joined: 23 Mar 2016 17:57
Location: London

Re: RUMOURS: CINEMA AND NANDOS COMING TO SYDENHAM

Post by prince »

parker wrote:
prince wrote:I've heard rumours that nandos are currently reviewing their position and might very well pull out, partly due to some local meddling. While nandos might not be everyone's cup of tea it would at least bring a large vacant premises on a landmark site back into use and help to improve the local offer for those who want to eat out locally.
When you say rumours, can you elaborate on what you've heard here?

It wouldn't be the same meddling people that wanted community value status for the Windmill would it? Because that unit with suffer the same fate.

Ridiculous that some people in Sydenham have the time to do these things and prevent the economic viability of Sydenham time after time and spoil it for the rest of us.

I guess if we promised to travel by horse and cart to buy a cheeky Nando's they might leave things alone..?
Objections in relation to servicing the site I understand. Oh well if it is refused it can stay as a retail shop and perhaps it will be let to Poundland instead!

prince
Posts: 227
Joined: 23 Mar 2016 17:57
Location: London

Re: RUMOURS: CINEMA AND NANDOS COMING TO SYDENHAM

Post by prince »

leenewham wrote:There are rumours spreading on Facebook about Cobs corner that Nandos is coming along with a cinema.

It comes from people who live in the building that the old wedding dress shop will become a Nandos, possibly along with the CAB office. It makes sense to combine food and film, especially with the old snooker hall laying empty and the old nightclub. Could they link all 3 spaces?

I hope it's more than a rumour (although I'm no fan of Nandos personally, they always look good). normally I woudn't post rumours, but this gives it some validity:

There is a planning application to convert the wedding dress shop to restaurant use (A3):
http://planning.lewisham.gov.uk/online- ... CAPR_88422

This matches the rumours regarding Nandos as it takes half the CAB site.

Don't forget you can write in to support a planning application. It doesn't always have to be to object! Details of planning application as above!

parker
Posts: 558
Joined: 26 Mar 2009 21:15
Location: Sydenham Wells

Re: RUMOURS: CINEMA AND NANDOS COMING TO SYDENHAM

Post by parker »

prince wrote:
leenewham wrote:There are rumours spreading on Facebook about Cobs corner that Nandos is coming along with a cinema.

It comes from people who live in the building that the old wedding dress shop will become a Nandos, possibly along with the CAB office. It makes sense to combine food and film, especially with the old snooker hall laying empty and the old nightclub. Could they link all 3 spaces?

I hope it's more than a rumour (although I'm no fan of Nandos personally, they always look good). normally I woudn't post rumours, but this gives it some validity:

There is a planning application to convert the wedding dress shop to restaurant use (A3):
http://planning.lewisham.gov.uk/online- ... CAPR_88422

This matches the rumours regarding Nandos as it takes half the CAB site.

Don't forget you can write in to support a planning application. It doesn't always have to be to object! Details of planning application as above!
Thanks Prince, might also be useful to find out what is going on from Nando's too:

propertyteam@nandos.co.uk

prince
Posts: 227
Joined: 23 Mar 2016 17:57
Location: London

Re: RUMOURS: CINEMA AND NANDOS COMING TO SYDENHAM

Post by prince »

parker wrote:
prince wrote:
leenewham wrote:There are rumours spreading on Facebook about Cobs corner that Nandos is coming along with a cinema.

It comes from people who live in the building that the old wedding dress shop will become a Nandos, possibly along with the CAB office. It makes sense to combine food and film, especially with the old snooker hall laying empty and the old nightclub. Could they link all 3 spaces?

I hope it's more than a rumour (although I'm no fan of Nandos personally, they always look good). normally I woudn't post rumours, but this gives it some validity:

There is a planning application to convert the wedding dress shop to restaurant use (A3):
http://planning.lewisham.gov.uk/online- ... CAPR_88422

This matches the rumours regarding Nandos as it takes half the CAB site.

Don't forget you can write in to support a planning application. It doesn't always have to be to object! Details of planning application as above!
Thanks Prince, might also be useful to find out what is going on from Nando's too:

propertyteam@nandos.co.uk
Thanks Parker. I have written to them today.

SteveG85
Posts: 39
Joined: 26 Aug 2014 16:41
Location: SE26

Re: RUMOURS: CINEMA AND NANDOS COMING TO SYDENHAM

Post by SteveG85 »

I've sent them an email too actually to see if there is a way to offer support. Given the outcome at The Windmill following the Sydenham Society's intervention it would be interesting to know whether they have objected to Nandos too

leenewham
Posts: 5886
Joined: 2 Sep 2007 11:58
Location: SYDENHAM
Contact:

Re: RUMOURS: CINEMA AND NANDOS COMING TO SYDENHAM

Post by leenewham »

Who is objecting?

parker
Posts: 558
Joined: 26 Mar 2009 21:15
Location: Sydenham Wells

Re: RUMOURS: CINEMA AND NANDOS COMING TO SYDENHAM

Post by parker »

Another Nando's contact address is the following so I'm told:
pmmailbox@nandos.co.uk

prince
Posts: 227
Joined: 23 Mar 2016 17:57
Location: London

Re: RUMOURS: CINEMA AND NANDOS COMING TO SYDENHAM

Post by prince »

parker wrote:Another Nando's contact address is the following so I'm told:
pmmailbox@nandos.co.uk
Thanks I've mailed them as well.

Chymeera
Posts: 2
Joined: 15 Jun 2017 12:59
Location: Sydenham

Re: RUMOURS: CINEMA AND NANDOS COMING TO SYDENHAM

Post by Chymeera »

I had heard that rumour about Nandos from my hairdresser a few months ago...I am not sure how it would work as a restaurant but given the choice I'd prefer Pizza express for sure.
As for a cinema, if they go the East Dulwich Picture House or Electro Cinema route and offer an experience rather than just going to the cinema, it might work...There was a pub in East Dulwich (the Clockhouse) that had a small cinema deck that you could rent out to watch movies with your mates and could order food and drinks from your seat...That could be cool if it was something like that.

Larky
Posts: 86
Joined: 1 Jan 2017 22:14
Location: Sydenahm

Re: RUMOURS: CINEMA AND NANDOS COMING TO SYDENHAM

Post by Larky »

Private cinema with food and drink, I like the sound of that !

Pally
Posts: 1463
Joined: 2 Aug 2014 05:38
Location: Sydenham

Re: RUMOURS: CINEMA AND NANDOS COMING TO SYDENHAM

Post by Pally »

Local meddling ...so what's that all about? Another unit sitting empty for ...months/years/a lifetime?

monkeyarms
Posts: 273
Joined: 28 Jul 2015 14:54
Location: Tredown

Re: RUMOURS: CINEMA AND NANDOS COMING TO SYDENHAM

Post by monkeyarms »

I posted a comment in support of the planning application linked to above on the planning applications site. I'd urge others to do the same.

Confusingly, you had to select one of only three options to describe yourself in commenting: 'Applicant', 'Developer' or 'Complainant'. Obviously I'm not an applicant or developer, but neither am I a 'complainant'. So I selected 'Applicant'. No idea if that undermines my supporting comment or not. They don't exactly make it easy to support a planning application!

SydenhamOwl
Posts: 97
Joined: 20 Jan 2017 15:26
Location: Sydenham

Re: RUMOURS: CINEMA AND NANDOS COMING TO SYDENHAM

Post by SydenhamOwl »

monkeyarms wrote:I posted a comment in support of the planning application linked to above on the planning applications site. I'd urge others to do the same.

Confusingly, you had to select one of only three options to describe yourself in commenting: 'Applicant', 'Developer' or 'Complainant'. Obviously I'm not an applicant or developer, but neither am I a 'complainant'. So I selected 'Applicant'. No idea if that undermines my supporting comment or not. They don't exactly make it easy to support a planning application!
Had the same problem. Very odd.

JMLF
Posts: 596
Joined: 12 Dec 2013 19:41
Location: United Kingdom

Re: RUMOURS: CINEMA AND NANDOS COMING TO SYDENHAM

Post by JMLF »

Did the exact same thing a few days ago in support. I was baffled so put developer because I thought that would cause least harm if "applicant" is meant to be the people applying for the development and I'm not against it therefore not a complainant. I did in the text explain this in massive shouty text to explain I wasn't a developer and just a local resident mind!

prince
Posts: 227
Joined: 23 Mar 2016 17:57
Location: London

Re: RUMOURS: CINEMA AND NANDOS COMING TO SYDENHAM

Post by prince »

Spoke to planning officer today to see what the status of the application is for the change of use. I was informed that the planning officer has written her report and it is now with a senior officer to review their recommendation. As such it looks like it is not going to go to planning committee and will be decided under delegated powers by an officer which looks like it will be relatively soon. Here's hoping that it is approved and that Nandos haven't been put off with local meddling.

owlwise
Posts: 210
Joined: 21 May 2012 13:54
Location: Upper Sydenham

Re: RUMOURS: CINEMA AND NANDOS COMING TO SYDENHAM

Post by owlwise »

There's a To Let sign on the premises. Was that always there? I was worried that Nando's might have pulled out as I hadn't noticed the sign there previously..

parker
Posts: 558
Joined: 26 Mar 2009 21:15
Location: Sydenham Wells

Re: RUMOURS: CINEMA AND NANDOS COMING TO SYDENHAM

Post by parker »

prince wrote:Spoke to planning officer today to see what the status of the application is for the change of use. I was informed that the planning officer has written her report and it is now with a senior officer to review their recommendation. As such it looks like it is not going to go to planning committee and will be decided under delegated powers by an officer which looks like it will be relatively soon. Here's hoping that it is approved and that Nandos haven't been put off with local meddling.
Thanks for the update Prince, I hope you are right. Hopefully not long now for the outcome.

prince
Posts: 227
Joined: 23 Mar 2016 17:57
Location: London

Re: RUMOURS: CINEMA AND NANDOS COMING TO SYDENHAM

Post by prince »

Can't decide if the boarding up of 301-303 kirkdale is a good or bad sign?

parker
Posts: 558
Joined: 26 Mar 2009 21:15
Location: Sydenham Wells

Re: RUMOURS: CINEMA AND NANDOS COMING TO SYDENHAM

Post by parker »

prince wrote:Can't decide if the boarding up of 301-303 kirkdale is a good or bad sign?
Probably a good thing if this Tweet from just yesterday is anything to go by.
https://mobile.twitter.com/NandosUK/sta ... 4931226625

Sydenhamman
Posts: 9
Joined: 23 Jun 2017 20:37
Location: Sydenham

Re: RUMOURS: CINEMA AND NANDOS COMING TO SYDENHAM

Post by Sydenhamman »

New to the Forum but reading all this with interest. Can't support the prospect of a potential Nandos and cinema enough!

Post Reply