Baxters Field

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
sherlomi

Baxters Field

Post by sherlomi »

I have lived in Sydenham for years and used Baxters Fields for walking dogs and taking my
children to the swing park. I like the fact that children from the nearby estate can go there to
play football or hang out with friends. I would have preferred it if Friends of Baxters Field
instead of planting willow trees and creating nature trails, had spent that money on
goal posts. . It isnt another Wells Park or Crystal Palace Park but
just a green area much used by local youngsters.and dog walkers
michael

Re: Baxters Field

Post by michael »

I'm sure they would be happy to hear your suggestion. I went to their AGM last week and they have some great ideas, and already have quite a lot happening.

Get in contact at:
friendsofbaxterfield@gmail.com
https://www.facebook.com/groups/baxtersfield

However as a non-football player I always find that positioning goal posts in a park effectively prevents use by anybody else of the area. But it might still be a good idea despite my prejudices. It is important that parks are spaces for all.
sherlomi

Post by sherlomi »

Yes Michael it is all the great ideas they have that I object to - leave it as it is. I have already filled in
the survey and suggested goal posts but I think it will fall on deaf ears. The area is for local children and those
from the local estate who have no gardens to play in and I dont like the fact that it is becoming a 'groups project'.
borderpaul

Post by borderpaul »

I haven't used it in a while but it is used by kids from EB quite a lot after school for football. I think you could fit goals in the lower field as it tends to be used for organised events such as EB sports days and occasionally for Sydenham girls without preventing others from feeling inhibited to use the park.
sparticus

Post by sparticus »

Absolutely agree. I lived just around the corner from Baxter's Field when the kids were young and used it a lot. It's a recreation ground, not some poncey garden for the delight of local tree-huggers. Priority should be for a set of goal posts, maybe an activity trail like the one in Mayow Park, zip-wires etc.. Anything to get kids running about and enjoying themselves.
sherlomi

Post by sherlomi »

Activity trail would be great - just what the kids need. I fear that we would soon see signs going
up such as "dogs must be kept on a lead" and "no games allowed". Ask the local kids what they want
and it wont be willow walks and beds of herbs. AGM's and steering committees! Really!!
Leave Baxters Field alone and plant your willow walks in your own back yards.
Roe

Post by Roe »

Well said Sherlomi, Border Paul and Sparticus! I wholeheartedly agree with everYthing you said. I think that Forest Hill/Sydenham has become some sort of refugee for the midlings in pursuit of a 'project'. Having been a resident in the Sydenham/Forest Hill area for many a decade, I resent the interference of the 'so called' 'Friends of Baxter's Field' in what is basically a green space for local children to play in. What next? Poetry reading? Gluten free cookery courses in the lower field? We are not 'Bingley-in-the-Brambles'!!! This is South East London- IT IS A PARK!!!!!
I agree with you Sherlomi; soon it will be 'no dogs allowed' and 'no ball game' space. How would you like it if your childs' space was endangered by a 'commitee' that thought herb gardens and nature trails were more important than a play space for the local kids. EYES WIDE OPEN!!! GOAL POSTS!!!!!
Robin Orton

Post by Robin Orton »

I don't understand all this. We have lived within metres of Baxter Field for over thirty-five years. We have happily exercised a succession of three dogs in it, and continue to do so. Our children played in it, our grandsons play in it.

My wife and I are members of the Friends of Baxter Fields and attended the recent AGM. It works in close liaison with Glendale and the borough. I welcome its efforts to make the park a more attractive and inclusive place, and to encourage wildlife.There has been absolutely no suggestion of any restriction on dog walking on children playing ball games. The idea of installing goal posts is not one which I have heard discussed, but I cannot see any reason why the Friends would want to oppose it in principle.

What's with you guys? Why don't you join the Friends and make your voices heard?
pixiedee

Post by pixiedee »

I don't understand...as far as I can see the Friends of Baxter's Field have worked really hard to make the park gets cleaned and maintained properly so everyone can use it. I haven't seen any signs or felt any restrictions and I don't feel excluded. This sounds like a bit of a moany thread resulting from misunderstanding about what a group of volunteers are trying to do. Like it or not most of the places that make this area great for the community are going to rely more heavily on volunteers - the libraries are a case in point - so there's no point knocking them. Join them and represent your point of view. I'm not a member of the Friends but am local and do use the park and I do know the Friends have been more responsive to community requests than the council would ever be.
louisecbrooks

Post by louisecbrooks »

I'm not a member of the Friends of Baxters Field, but I don't understand how you can criticise people who take their own time to try to preserve and improve the park when you aren't willing to participate yourself. You are projecting that they won't be open to your suggestion without any basis, and without any intent to engage with them. All of the people involved do so because they care about the park and want to see the best for it. I think it's somewhat harsh to criticise them for actually doing something.
michael

Post by michael »

Roe wrote:. What next? Poetry reading? Gluten free cookery courses in the lower field?
Those are great ideas. There was an outdoor film shown last year, which I believe was a great success, but poetry reading sounds like a good idea too. And gluten free cookery would be excellent, I'm always looking for exciting things to do with quinoa and quorn! (I hope it would all be vegan)

The problem with the 'leave it as it is' attitude is that it was
- Badly lit and unsafe at night
- The play equipment was poorly maintained and falling apart
- And there was a problem with dog poo all over the field
- Grass was not getting cut often enough - making the field unsuitable for ball games
All of these have improved due to pressure on Glendale and Lewisham Council from the Friends Group

Adding a small nature trail, a bug hotel, and a bench inside the play area for parents - will not detract from the field as a place to play football as generations have previously (I'm told that goal posts can be made from jumpers).

The lower field can be a problem in the winter (or spring and autumn) due to poor drainage. This makes it unsuitable for most activities for a large part of the year. I know the Friends group are looking at possible solutions, but perhaps it is better left alone to prevent any gluten free poetry from popping up.
sherlomi

Post by sherlomi »

Louisecbrooks - Why on earth should I get involved with Baxters Field, that dosent make any sense at all.
Why should anyone get involved with a park that serves the local community very well? I can express an opinion
without having to get into get involved with a project that I find ridiculous! As for it being a "moany" thread, how so Pixiedee? Because I dont agree with you? Millenium Green was a brilliant idea - for anyone who dosent know.
this is the area at the end of Albion Villas. A scruffy piece of land used for dumping any old rubbish was turned
into a beautiful setting, but Baxters Field never was a scruffy piece of land - just a nice park for locals.
Yes. a couple more street lamps at the top end of the park would be great as I have already told the Council but
that is the only improvement it needs. Maybe you can come up with a project that carries a bit more weight.
Michael I applaud your sarcasm - but jumpers for goalposts? I rest my case!
Robin Orton

Post by Robin Orton »

sherlomi wrote: Baxters Field never was a scruffy piece of land
You must be joking.
sherlomi

Post by sherlomi »

Not joking Robin and have lived here for years. Maybe not always as pristine as you would have
liked but certainly never scruffy not as Millenium Green used to be. Baxters was never used as a
dumping ground although I do remember the furore about two people who pitched a tent there!!
Tim Lund

Post by Tim Lund »

I think Sherlomi and Roe should contact Cllr Paul Upex with their concerns. If you want a constructive outcome, he will be you man here.
sherlomi

Post by sherlomi »

Is this the Paul Upex that was out there planting the trees with Friends of Baxters Field? You have one of the
most beautiful nature trails in south-east London not a five minute walk from Baxters Field - its called
Sydenham Hill Woods. I feel that if public money is going to be spent on Baxters Field then it should be
spent on, as Sparticus suggests, an activity trail and other equipment that local kids would use.
This is a tiny park compared to the much bigger parks in the area which have space for nature trails
and herb gardens. Make it better for the kids to play their football and gather with friends.
Tim Lund

Post by Tim Lund »

sherlomi wrote:Is this the Paul Upex that was out there planting the trees with Friends of Baxters Field?
The very same, but if you want to find a way to reconcile differences, a local councillor is exactly the person to go to.

Just try what a non confrontational approach will do
sherlomi

Post by sherlomi »

Off to Papua New Guinea on Wednesday for three months so no time to contact anyone at present - what started
off as, I feel, a justified point of view, seems to have offended many people. but I stick to my guns.
Goalposts before willow walks.
Tim Lund

Post by Tim Lund »

sherlomi wrote:Off to Papua New Guinea on Wednesday for three months so no time to contact anyone at present - what started off as, I feel, a justified point of view, seems to have offended many people. but I stick to my guns.

Goalposts before willow walks.
Well, hopefully anyone who feels the same way, but is ready to discuss how views can be reconciled might want to get in touch with Paul Upex or the Friends themselves. Conflicts such as this are rarely irreconcilable.
Vickyc

Post by Vickyc »

I'd like to say thank you to the Friends of Baxters' Fields for giving up their time to better our local park. Being a 'local' myself, I have enjoyed the changes and the community spirit that is now always present at the park. I am very grateful for the lights as before them, my husband was mugged for his phone on his way home and he can now walk through feeling much safer. I am also very happy that the once tired play equipment is well maintained as my two older children love playing on it and I look forward to seeing the changes that the community agrees will be best for all 3 of my children and us as a family.
The FoBF group listen to all opinions too so I am confident that whatever happens in the future will benefit us all. Thank you.