What has Jim done

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
syd

What has Jim done

Post by syd »

Afternoon,

Can anyone tell me what has Jim Dowd done for lewisham since 1997 ?
SydenhamOwl

Re: What has Jim done

Post by SydenhamOwl »

Are you looking at voting him out come June 8?
syd

Post by syd »

Why do you ask? Do you want to keep him?
Bovine Juice

Post by Bovine Juice »

Not a fan of Jim but if the election focuses on Hard Brexit v soft Brexit / Remain as is likely, then he is definitely in latter camp, which reflects the local electorate
Likelife

Post by Likelife »

syd wrote:Afternoon,

Can anyone tell me what has Jim Dowd done for lewisham since 1997 ?
You tell me...
gerispringer

Post by gerispringer »

Didn't he turn up to a Beer Festival in the constituency once?
Don't tell me he is standing again.
He won't get my vote.
SydenhamOwl

Post by SydenhamOwl »

syd wrote:Why do you ask? Do you want to keep him?
I only moved into the area in the last few months so I don't know anything about him. I only ask as the timing of your post seemed very relevant :)
appletree

Post by appletree »

He is pro-Remain and that is the most important thing.
mosy

Post by mosy »

I'd have thought that the most important thing is that Dowd's seat is safe Labour, whether Dowd is liked or not. That said, "safe" for any seat might be re-evaluated after 8 June...
mosy

Post by mosy »

I'd have thought that the most important thing is that Dowd's seat is safe Labour, whether Dowd is liked or not. That said, "safe" for any seat might be re-evaluated after 8 June...
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Jim Dowd will be whatever the constituents want him to be - so long as he doesn't have to do any work . So, as Lewisham is one of those strange remain areas that's what Jim is .
Like his party he did nothing to make remain a reality - i thank him for that at least.

A very good evening
Nigel
appletree

Post by appletree »

Apparently, I just learned, Jim Dowd is standing down.
mikej

Post by mikej »

Really? that's great news! exciting!
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

Dowd is going:
http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/m ... 7-10257949

Who will run in his place? Not that it matters of course, they will win no matter what! I wonder if it will be someone local to Sydenham?
stuart

Post by stuart »

I'm available :wink:

Stuart
JayB

Post by JayB »

Fantastic news. However, Jim Dowd did do something. I once emailed him about the lamentable public transport in Sydenham in terms of connecting us with central London. He forwarded my email to Boris for reply! To give credit where credit is due, i got a three page detailed response from the Mayor's office. They contacted me again ot say there was a parliamentary debate chaired by Heidi Alexander on the very same issue.She was there with Greenwich, Bromley etc all saying how the locals had been poorly served in comparison ot the rest of the capital etc and pressing for new services-but no sign of our Jim!
gerispringer

Post by gerispringer »

Ed Balls is available.
alywin

Post by alywin »

There is already an existing thread on what Jim Dowd has done (or hasn't, depending on your point of view). Sounds as though my options on who to vote for may have increased slightly, not that it really matters.
nasaroc

Post by nasaroc »

He brought the London Overground railway to this area. For years before the line was built JD put a huge amount of effort into bringing the railway to this area - when others had given up on the idea or thought it too ambitious a plan. I was in the H of C at the launch of the new line when Network Rail acknowledged Jim's almost single-handed role in initiating the project. And he convinced Lewisham to go ahead with building the new Forest Hill swimming pool in its present (and original) location rather than the Kirkdale (Willow Way) industrial estate. Jim Dowd isn't his own best promotions man but to say he did nothing for this area is not true. Barry Milton
syd

Post by syd »

Well maybe it will be great to have a new MP. It seems every other part of Lewisham have seen some serious investment and improvements in the past 20 years while Sydenham has stood still at best. We cant even keep the main high street supermarket open. I wonder if it will be a massive charity shop ,chicken shop, bookies or estate agents.