The Alexandra

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
sparticus

The Alexandra

Post by sparticus »

Went there last night. Beer served in girly glasses in 2/3 pint measures. About 10 pence cheaper than a pint anywhere else. Great scam- sell a third less beer for about 10p less per measure! And what the **** are "rest rooms"?! The Soiuthy Street tap room, on the other hand, was great.
sparticus

Re: The Alexandra

Post by sparticus »

On the other hand, and to be fair, the staff were agreeable and the music was good and not so loud that it was impossible to have a conversation. The fit-out is interesting and the use of the space is imaginative. Just an overwhelming feeling that I was being ripped off.
coll

Post by coll »

We went last week. Meh!
It will be interesting to see how it does when it is has been up and running for a while. Strange 'decour' choices. Particularly the odd sideboard when you walk in with 'nick-nacks' on it. The built in seating is interesting but can't see it ageing well. Also WHAT was the point of raising the floor half way up the windows?
JMLF

Post by JMLF »

At the risk of having some backlash from people not of the same mind as me I really have no idea why 2/3 glasses are in your words "girly". Sure people may say it's just a word or a phrase but it's this kind of unnecessary and totally inaccurate stereotype that reiterates gender bias and for people to think it's somehow acceptable to assume or think women are weaker or less able than men.
Some women have bigger hands then some men and vice versa. Some women can drink men under the table and vice versa.
On a slightly different note, that size of glass is pretty standard all across Europe as well I believe (rather than a pint).
Your issue (and arguably rightly so) is with being overcharged, not anything to do with gender.

Apologies if this comes across as a rant and it's nothing personal, just feel quite strongly about certain use of language which may not seem much on the face of it to some but can have quite significant repercussions in reiterating already, still ongoing gender discrimination.

Looking forward to trying the Alex and Southey Brewery on your review!
syd

Post by syd »

I agree. Casual sexism, racism or homophobia has no place anywhere!
Bovine Juice

Post by Bovine Juice »

I did a four pub crawl last night (Goldsmiths, Moon & Stars, Southey and Alex). All terrific and offering something different from each other.
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Has anyone been to the quiz night yet ? Was thinking of trying it for my first visit .

Re the reference to size of glass , I think JMLF has given us a much more appropriate pejorative than "girly" : The glasses were disappointingly "European" ,or, " of the European persuasion " with an implied sneer - thus offending nobody but the glasses .

A very good afternoon
Nigel
Steveofsyd

Post by Steveofsyd »

I've been there twice and on both occasions enjoyed it very much. This in not a "boozer" and shows up a lot of the boring pubs in Sydenham. A great start for these newbies to the pub trade. Can't wait for them to start the kitchen.
I tried several different IPAs in the schooners (the glasses) and when I asked about the size I was told that they deliberately chose them
- you can try different beers without getting pissed so quickly (some of the IPAs are quite strong)
- the beer remains in finer "condition and temp" in that glass rather than a pint, who enjoys that warm swill at the bottom once a pint has been standing for a while?

I asked about their future "tapas like menu" and they said the usual Pub food (listen Dolphin) has been done many times before and badly for yo high a price.

Good for them for having the courage of their convictions.
Nice to have something different and more like East Dulwich around here and I am very pleased as are many of my Wiverton Road neighbours
If you font like it you have other choices . I'm just glad we haven't had more of the same.
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

I look forward to the kitchen opening there. I can't wait to try it, it looks great. It's nice to have something different.

I don't care if something is a pint or whatever as I prefer to try different drinks and prefer quality to quantity these days.
PEHDTSCKJMBA

Post by PEHDTSCKJMBA »

Personally I think the Alexandra is a great addition to the local scene. They have up to 10 different kegs and 3 different cask ales on at any time, not to mention a really well stocked fridge. Personally, I really enjoy the 2/3 pint measure - it means I can try more beers and I don't get too messed up on the high ABV IPA's that they sometimes have (I'm looking at you Lupoloid!)

Also, in defense of the prices, I must disagree with the OP's statement about getting 1/3 less beer for around 10p less than the price of a pint elsewhere. A recent photo of the bar and their prices can be found here:

http://fb.me/25GEEXC2Q

Lager and Stout are £2.90 and Pale Ale £3 and these are always available at that price. This works out at £4.35/£4.50 a pint and some of the cask ales are even cheaper.

Sure, maybe at Spoons you could get a pint of something for £3.10 but The Alexandra isn't really competing for the same market.

The most expensive beer they have is the Beavertown Lupoloid at £4.70 for 2/3 pint. Yes, that's a £7 pint but this is a 6.7% ABV IPA and believe it or not that's the going rate for that kind of beer.

It's absolutely fine to balk at the prices of the higher end craft beers, and I understand that they are new to the area and may not be everyone's cup of tea, but I think on balance The Alexandra does a good job of offering something for everyone's price range.
Bovine Juice

Post by Bovine Juice »

I think as the prices are clearly stated now and there are cheap quality options as well as the more pricey ones, it's all good. And I too like trying different beers so approve of the schooner glasses.
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Does anyone know the precise size of those glasses ? Lee referred to them as schooners ( 285ml) which makes the just over half a pint ( and bloody expensive therefore ) .
Sincerely hope they are 2/3 of a pint but not sure that is any kind of legal measure.
A very good evening
Nigel
Timbo79

Post by Timbo79 »

We've popped in once and thought it was really good, the sort of place I'd love to have round the corner.

Personally I prefer to be able to drink a pint but think the smaller glasses are becoming more normal with the proliferation of choice of craft beer options and strong beers as has already been mentioned above.

I really don't think it's overpriced compared to most pubs, but a lot of what we seem to have is Sydenham is at the cheap and cheerful end of things (I have no problem with this and like a pint in the Bricklayers now and again but would love a bit more diversity in Sydenham's hostelries!)

And 2/3 pint is a legal measure https://www.gov.uk/weights-measures-and ... quantities
PEHDTSCKJMBA

Post by PEHDTSCKJMBA »

Nigel wrote:Does anyone know the precise size of those glasses ? Lee referred to them as schooners ( 285ml) which makes the just over half a pint ( and bloody expensive therefore ) .
They're 2/3 for sure.

Same as these:

https://www.ascotwholesale.co.uk/13oz-s ... r-2-3pt-ce
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

Nigel wrote:Lee referred to them as schooners ( 285ml) which makes the just over half a pint ( and bloody expensive therefore ) .
Nigel
Once again, I didn't say anything of the sort. It was Steve. Not me.

I'm Lee. As in Bruce, Marvin, Majors and er...Remick.

3 letters, two the same.

Is my name just easier to write?

I (LEE) DID WRITE/AM WRITING THIS: Schooner: 425 mL (15 imp. fl. oz., or three-quarters of an imperial pint, pre-metrication).
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Lee
It's hardly bloody libel is it ?

I'd say you were Lee as in curmudgeon-Lee , petty-Lee and pedantic-Lee.

Thanks for the info on 2/3 pint being a recognised measure . Or was that Jeff ?

A very good afternoon
Nigel
Last edited by Nigel on 25 Apr 2017 14:29, edited 1 time in total.
KEVD

Post by KEVD »

Afternoon,

Have been a couple of times now and think its a good place. Something different to what is around in Sydenham currently. I prefer a pint myself but also understand the reasons why they offer 2/3 of a pint. The pricing seems reasonable to me when compared to other places around.

Seems to be getting busier which is good news.

Looking forward to my next visit.

Regards
Steveofsyd

Post by Steveofsyd »

Very popular on Facebook ...good for them.
Kent House R

Post by Kent House R »

What about those of us who don't drink beer? This whole thread is about beer! Offensive and discriminatory to wine drinkers. Tsk.
gerispringer

Post by gerispringer »

A good few people in there on Friday at 5 pm. Yummy mummies, shoppers, locals. I had a generous glass of wine. A pleasant atmosphere.