Hi-Fi repair?

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
MagmaTimes

Hi-Fi repair?

Post by MagmaTimes »

Hey - does anyone know if there is a place in Syd or surrounding areas where I might be able to get my stereo amp fixed?
Steveofsyd

Re: Hi-Fi repair?

Post by Steveofsyd »

High end or not?
MagmaTimes

Post by MagmaTimes »

Arcam. Not "high" high-end but not total rubbish either!
pip

Post by pip »

There are no Hi fi repair shops locally that I know of but I have been highly recommended
Excellent Electrics in Bromley if its of any use to you.

http://excellentelectrics.co.uk/?utm_so ... paign=yell

I intend to take my 30+ year old Nad amp there for repair.
chrisj1948

Post by chrisj1948 »

[quote="pip"I intend to take my 30+ year old Nad amp there for repair.[/quote]

Would that be a NAD 3020? I retired mine to the attic when we moved to Sydenham 10 years ago since lack of space forced the purchase of an all-in-one unit. It was still working fine, but the tone and volume controls had got very crackly.

Regards
Chris
pip

Post by pip »

Yes Chris, You are spot on its the 3020A and what a performer. This legendary amp delivers great sound and is the biggest selling budget hifi amp of all time. They do all crackle as they get older but I intend to get mine sorted and expect the little beauty to out live me.
perryman

Post by perryman »

I recently got my 3020A and KEF coda IIIs out of retirement and connected them to my PC for those times I want a break from the head phones.
The whump you get when it is powered on is very very satisfying, but for the low volume levels I listen at, they are a bit of an over indulgence really.
chrisj1948

Post by chrisj1948 »

I am still using my damped transmission line speakers driven by Kef Kit 3 (a Kef Concerto without enclosure) constructed in 1975! Admittedly the only way I got permission to move them to our small house in Sydenham was by having them placed on their sides, with squab cushions on top, so that they could act as window seats. Fortunately the TL labyrinth makes them very robust.

Regards
Chris