Bridge House Tavern

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
dickp

Bridge House Tavern

Post by dickp »

Yes, I know it's on the border with Penge...

Seems to be getting the Westow House treatment, judging from the garish wallpaper that's going up.
randomv

Post by randomv »

Yes exciting news! Apparently it has been taken on by the same people who own The Mansion in Gypsy Hill, and the Peckham Rye I think. Can't wait to have a decent pub within walking distance!
poppy

Bridge house

Post by poppy »

Where is it?
randomv

Post by randomv »

It's on the corner of Penge High Street and Anerley Park, between the two railway bridges (or no-man's land as I like to call it!) It's a beautiful building and should do well once open.
fishcox

Post by fishcox »

Excellent news! Another of my haunts from the 80's, which has had a chequered few years.

They have done a brilliant job at the old Paxton Arms, with some great food, and top beers.
Julsb

Post by Julsb »

They've done a good job with The Mansion. Wonder how Penge will take to it?
stuart

Post by stuart »

Good to know these people are having a go at the Bridge. I thought it doomed. Wish we hadn't lost the Gypsy Hill Paxton name for some anonymous 'Mansion'. Anyway here is Audrey Hammond's painting of it c2004:

Big Ben

Post by Big Ben »

Fantastic news - can't wait to see reports from anyone who has visited.
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

Wouldn't it be great if they took over the Greyhound? The mansion is a really nice place t be.
kennyb2

Post by kennyb2 »

You all seem to be obcessed with Pubs on here.

I remember that pub as a dismal hole ....a few old geezers in cardys spending all night over a Guinness.

Pubs in Penge were the reason I moved out, I hope they've changed.
Queen Adeliade in Parish Lane, what a dive!!, home to all the scrotes for miles around, worse after they moved the failed world champ boxers into the top room, Plastic "glasses" and don`t look anywhere except atthe floor if you went in.
Crooked Billet, another dismal dive
Pawleyne Arms?, nuff said
then all those pubs up Maple road, There was about one up there you could go in and have a drink trouble free,the rest you needed a criminal record or a pass from the other "locals" to get in and out with out loss of blood.
What was the one in the High st just round the corner from Maple road? used to have Whelk stall out side when I was last there.
Not exactly a yuppy bar that one.
fishcox

Post by fishcox »

I dont think the forum has an obsession with pubs,but the pub is part of the British psyche, and something that most of us have in common. Personally, I like to see it when someone takes over a pub and turns it into something worth visiting (unlike the Greyhound).

You're right though Kenny, all the pubs I ever visited in Penge have been pretty bad, from the Pawleyne Arms to The Crooked Billet.

The Bridge House was alright in the 80's though - it used to have a video jukebox, which was state of the art in those days.

That said, I went in there one Saturday night - not long after having arrived in London - and there was a huge fight, and someone got glassed. I wondered whether I had made the right choice moving to London.

It will be great if they save the place, and bring the custom back. There is a pretty big catchment area between there and Anerley, and I'll definitely give it a go.
Muddy Waters

Post by Muddy Waters »

'ere 'ere, Fishcox, see you there.

Good luck to anyone prepared to invest, let alone challenge local residents. I shall definitely be beating a path to the Bridge House Tavern front door. see you all there???
zozo

Post by zozo »

Anyone got any updates on when this place is due to open? We went past on Feb 14 (thought it was opening then) and it still looked well and truly locked in refurb mode.
Savvy

Post by Savvy »

We went last night, its brilliant! Great atmosphere - there was a family with four children there last night and they were made very welcome, it seemed very natural that they be there, mind you, they were very well behaved too. There is a covered outside area and loads of space outside. Those of you with kids will love it, its just the right place after a walk in the park - a million miles better than the park cafe. The layout is great, its on different levels - with an entrance to the garden upstairs (its on a hill), and tastefully done up, sort of French/Modern, (well there's an amoir, lots of wood and some very funky lighting). A good selection of wines and I saw Leffe on tap. I ate fried noodles with vegetables and Mr S had the meze, all good portions and very tasty.
I can't wait till our friends visit with their two small sons, after a run around and a visit to the dinosaurs we'll be straight there. Its just great to have such a selection of places to go now. Years ago there was nowhere decent, now we have at least four good pubs within walking distance. Hurrah!!
Willy

Post by Willy »

which are the four good pubs? This one, the Dolphin and...? I feel like I'm missing out on some pub based fun... :(
Savvy

Post by Savvy »

Dolphin / Dartmouth Arms at Forest Hill / Woodman / Bridge House Tavern and there's also the Perry Hill. We don't mind a walk, good for burning off the calories after all the food. Oh, and the Dulwich Woodhouse is good in summer too. Take the 227 to Beckenham and there's the Jolly Woodman and the Coach and Horses.
nork1
Location: Banned myself - can't be bothered with the Greg/Ulysses show anymore

Post by nork1 »

Well this was my local for 7 years. I went for a quiet pint.. I wanted to read my paper and check the place out. I walked in and was told by some Irish bloke on the door that football shirts were not acceptable. I pointed out that my shirt was not a football shirt but was in fact a Munster rugby shirt (Irish)... the tune changed - I was then told that, yes, come on in but in future no SPORTS shirts are allowed.
I'm an inoffensive bloke, I keep myself to myself, all I wanted was a pint but to be made unwelcome because of a bloody rugby shirt - IN PENGE - was a smack in the chops.
It's not the West End, it's Penge for God's sake. If you define your customers by the way they dress and totally dismiss former regulars unless they conform a dress code which, if you're honest really is out of place - then I hope you fail.
My apologies if I'm suddenly not good enough for you. To the Ruperts and Sophies who've suddenly come out of the woodwork... enjoy your butternut squash salad and chandaliers. You're bloody welcome to it.
Willy

Post by Willy »

Well I went here on Friday night and I thought it was great, I can't say I noticed any door staff, just a group of people smoking outside. Beer was good, staff were friendly and efficient and they were passing out canapes (yes, I know it's wrong!). All in all a great addition to the area (I went in this pub a few times in it's previous life and this is definitely an improvement!)
Dotkin

Post by Dotkin »

My family went to try out The Bridge this afternoon and it was great! The owner has done a great job with the interior - modern but comfy. We arrived at 12:30 - by 1:00 it was packed. The food was really good - we had roast pork (£11.50) which was delicious with a moreish dessert of chocolate brownie with vanilla ice cream (£4.95) - perfect Sunday lunch fare! It is pricey but the quality of the food was excellent - the service was also very friendly and welcoming. For those like us with small children there are a couple of highchairs at the moment but they told me more are on their way - I don't think they realised just how many families with young children would turn up! The child changing facilities are on order apparently and should be installed very soon too. All in all we had a lovely afternoon, great food, nice atmosphere and then off to the park to visit the dinosaurs!
dickp

Post by dickp »

Went to the BHT on Friday night. It smelled of paint and was fairly expensive (£3 for a lager Shandy, £4.50 for a pint of Belgian beer), but quite funky and moody.

Although it started quietly, by about 7 it was fairly busy - and full of "beautiful people". Food looked good - if a little pricey.