Suggestion - red light cameras

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
KPR

Suggestion - red light cameras

Post by KPR »

I know our councillors read this, so can I suggest they consider installing red light cameras on at least two of the pedestrian crossings on the high street? I've seen cars run the lights at the crossing outside the bookshop and the one outside the newsagent between Trewsbury and Knighton Park Road loads of times - including in both places today. Outside the bookshop I was on the crossing with a pushchair when a scooter ran the light, the rider waving his arm at me to get out the way. A large fine and points might change this attitude.
Nigel

Re: Suggestion - red light cameras

Post by Nigel »

Completely agree - we do seem to have a problem with feral motorcyclists / scooter riders ( and equally feral cyclists on pavements ) but I've seen cars and vans do that too .
Cameras seem to have replaced our consciences these days but they work so let's use them where there is a risk to the public .

A very good evening
Nigel
Parker1970

Post by Parker1970 »

KPR wrote: Outside the bookshop I was on the crossing with a pushchair when a scooter ran the light, the rider waving his arm at me to get out the way.
This has been the case for far too long now. I live right by those lights and you can hear the scooters and motorbikes coming from Kirkdale or Westwood hill, tapping on their warning horn and revving their engines to tell people to move out of the way as they have no intention of stopping. They seem to believe themselves above those crossing the road and indeed the law.

Red light cameras would be welcome.

Unless things have changed, police are quite limited in giving chase and stopping scooters/bikes because of the potential dangers of them using pavements etc and hitting people.
michael

Post by michael »

Parker1970 wrote: I live right by those lights and you can hear the scooters and motorbikes coming from Kirkdale or Westwood hill, tapping on their warning horn and revving their engines to tell people to move out of the way as they have no intention of stopping. They seem to believe themselves above those crossing the road and indeed the law.

Red light cameras would be welcome.
Have you been able to video them and send it to the safer neighbourhoods team? It is good fot the police to be aware of the scale of the problem and the concern from the public.

Red light cameras would be good but so would a set of spikes rising from the ground when traffic lights are red (or a simple barrier across the road).
mosy

Post by mosy »

I don't know how prevalent it is, but happened on Monday around 6pm when the Newlands Park lights on Sydenham Road were already firmly on red and a scooter or bike skirted the queueing traffic and shot through the lights, West to East so downwards on Syd. Rd. Fast enough almost to blink and miss it. A couple of people stopped and looked in amazement but no earthly chance of seeing a number plate.
butters

Post by butters »

YES! FOR THE LOVE OF MERCY!

I am so frustrated with the speeding through the lights and crossings, and the cars parking ON the pavements and blocking the whole road when the busses cant turn out of newlands park. For the first time in years, i completely lost my shiz a few weeks ago when a car illegally parked, blocking a bus from turning. Traffic piled up and cars started creeping across the yellow junction box and beeping their horns non stop. I snapped and started screaming at one driver. I was absolutely livid.

Every day I see a car run the red light at that junction. every single day.
Sydenham Syd

Post by Sydenham Syd »

Another suggestion for the one up by the bookshop is to remove it altogether - that whole junction is rubbish. The roundabout is useless as most cars coming down from CP get stuck on it and the whole of W'wood Hill is at a standstill.
As for the one down between KPR and Trewsbury, I have nearly been driven into there when crossing the road...
Let's face it, the High St has too much traffic on it really, but I also accept that the traffic has to go somewhere.

It could do with a rethink. Mind you, a ton of people use the KPR shortcut to avoid the lights when they want to turn right, and tear down KPR at great speed. That is residential and lots of families around there - I'm surprised there hasn't been an accident.
KPR

Post by KPR »

Yes, as a resident of KPR (obviously!) I have an issue with the speeders and also with people who seem to think their need to cut off the corner trumps my need to unload stuff from a taxi stopped in the middle of the road (because parking is a nightmare) - it's my street arseholes so go back the other way!

There were some speed measuring wires on the street a few months ago so we might be getting some bumps - I think it would be better to make the two side streets dead ends at the KPR end. So residents of those streets would have to come in from Kent House Road and we'd have to come in from Sydenham Road, but I could live with that.

On the crossing, I always make sure the cars look like stopping before I step off the pavement, because many of them will just go straight through the lights. On your wider point on the traffic, it is ridiculous, especially in the mornings on school days - I've never tried driving up Sydenham Road at that time, but it must take ages to get from Mayow Road to the roundabout (and beyond) given that when I walk to the station I often beat the bus.