sydenham needs an uplifting

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
leenewham

Re: sydenham needs an uplifting

Post by leenewham »

You would be surprised Mosy!
mosy

Post by mosy »

leenewham wrote:You would be surprised Mosy!
About what?
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

Objecting to places being spruced up.
Chymeera

Post by Chymeera »

I hope we don't get more chains shops. I like that Sydenham has independent shops...I'd love a little bit of the Kirkdale vibe to spill over more like vintage or second hand shops (I am obsessed with home decor) but I don't think getting a Costa or a Starbucks would improve it. I'd love a bakery moving in there...but then again, I am French and do love my lovely handmade bread.
Larky

Post by Larky »

Just realised that Penge does not have nail bars and chicken shops !
GillM

Post by GillM »

Larky wrote:Just realised that Penge does not have nail bars and chicken shops !
Really I think you will find that they have their fair share of both and mobile phone shops and pound shops. Also there are less of these shops because it has less shops because its smaller than Sydenham High st. Penge is not the utopia that the Penge Tourist Board will have us think it is! Plus vintage shops are still junk shops by any other name. So Lee is probably right about making the shop more presentable. To be honest the only reason I go to Penge to shop is the fantastic Murray Brothers butchers and the pound shop.
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

I presume that Larky was being sarcastic. Penge has it's fair share of all nail bars etc.

Penge is having a bit of a renaissance at present. The excellent Alexandra Nurseries, the Bluebell Cafe, Wilkinsons, The Penge Cafe, Friends of Flavours, The Alexandra, The Goldsmiths, Twangs and Penge Pop Up etc are all great (and Antic are opening their second bar there soon). But it's not utopia, but it is seeing positive change and it's got fairly good trader representation.

Kirkdale is doing well too.
MabelsFiveandDime

Post by MabelsFiveandDime »

Not all vintage shop are "junk" shops!!

I take great pride in making my shop & the frontage clean, tidy & welcoming. All clothes & fabric are washed & ironed by me & I even get the duster out on a regular basis :D
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

You are a local asset!
Tim Lund

Post by Tim Lund »

GillM wrote: To be honest the only reason I go to Penge to shop is the fantastic Murray Brothers butchers and the pound shop.
SE20 Cycles is a great shop too
mikej

Post by mikej »

Gill wrote To be honest the only reason I go to Penge to shop is the fantastic Murray Brothers butchers and the pound shop.
I love the Sainsbury's because I find it's just the perfect size! Much bigger than a Local, but much smaller than the one at Lower Syd.

What's not to like about Wilkos also??
GillM

Post by GillM »

Ok ok I get the message Penge is great! Ha ha But I do feel that "we" as Sydenham residents like to moan about our high street. Then when someone comes along as in Nando's we all get "excited" then along comes the complainers like "the parking is terrible there", " we have enough car parking from the station here". You don't seem to hear this everytime a new place is going to open at Kirkdale. Maybe when Kirkdale is full these restaurants, bars and quirky shops will move down our way.

I was in Tower Bridge Road the other day (having a Pie, Mash and Liquor fix) and a new shop has opened there and it was a Charcuterie, Cheese and wine shop. It looked great and you could fill up bottles of wine from the barrel taps. They had those kilner type bottles. Would love something like that to open here. Now Tower Bridge road is surrounded by social housing, but within a stones throw to Bermondsey Street which is really hip. So as I have said above regarding Kirkdale, it made me think that it moved along to TBR in the hope that others will now follow them.
robbieduncan

Post by robbieduncan »

[quote="GillM"]It looked great and you could fill up bottles of wine from the barrel taps. They had those kilner type bottles. Would love something like that to open here. [/quote
Is this a very subtle joke? You know we have this at Bob Wines right by the station right?
mosy

Post by mosy »

robbieduncan wrote:
GillM wrote:It looked great and you could fill up bottles of wine from the barrel taps. They had those kilner type bottles. Would love something like that to open here. [/quote
Is this a very subtle joke? You know we have this at Bob Wines right by the station right?
That's interesting as I suggested that a cheese shop would be good but I didn't know Bob Wines sold cheese. How wide is their selection pls?
parker

Post by parker »

mosy wrote:
robbieduncan wrote:
GillM wrote:It looked great and you could fill up bottles of wine from the barrel taps. They had those kilner type bottles. Would love something like that to open here. [/quote
That's interesting as I suggested that a cheese shop would be good but I didn't know Bob Wines sold cheese. How wide is their selection pls?
Ooh sassy! :lol:
mosy

Post by mosy »

parker wrote: Ooh sassy! :lol:
Nah, just not good at feigned innocence ;)
Likelife

Post by Likelife »

I've been away for a week and I've just noticed the billboard overlooking Sydenham road-over-railway bridge has gone. Anything replacing it?
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

In Penge they would put some amazing artwork on it.
conti16

Post by conti16 »

conti16 wrote:I have been in Sydenham since June 2009 and things have changed but I feel that the area still needs improvement.
we need better shops on the high street so that I can stop going to Beckenham High street or CP or East Dulwich.
I contacted caffe nero and asked to come and see the area as I have noticed a few empty shops like former acorn and eaton estate agent.
I am supporting local shops during the weekend ( fish monger, the animal charity and hoof coffea) but we need more and better shops on the high street. Tired of this betting shops and pound one and news agents selling phones on the high street.
so many professionals lives in the area, why the need of this kind of shops?
Anyone knows if something happening to the high street any more? The regeneration was done a couple of years back with new pavement but anything else to look forwards to?
What happened to coop?
thanks
conti16

Post by conti16 »

Thanks for your comments, its great to see different views about the High Street.
I called Caffe Nero because its a chain I like however if I had to chose I would like to see more independent coffee shop like on the Hoof. The coffea is much nicer than Nero ( I am Italian so coffee is very important)
My worries is that by keep having shops like the betting one, charity and Mc Donald suggestions the high street will never improve and investors will never invest in the area.
I don't wish to see Sydenham changing into a Chiswick, that would be boring and frankly not reflecting the truth of the area however I feel we need a more mixed shop because I see all the professional coming out of the overland everyday with me at 7 pm and there are lots, many moved into the area from North when the overland opened.
I work in properties and I can confirm that many buyers moving into the area came from expensive area like N1, SE1, West London. That's what happened to East Dul and now Peckam with its Bellenden Village/ Peckham Rye named the new Shoreditch.
The price of a simple breakfast at Blue Mountain does not come cheap but I think the food and coffea is great but I hardly go there because the service isn't great for the 5 times I went there.
The hoof is pricey too went for dinner there but I don't mind pay for good food and service. Trattoria Raffaele is amazing but I think a little of competition would not harm and perhaps the standard might increase.
I agree that the high street should serve everybody but I don't see the need for more than 2 betting shops, chicken fried or pound shop. This is not a mix High Street. It would be great to see also more places for family because Sydenham has lots of young family came to the area as more affordable than others.
The wine Shop is brilliant and I they are doing so well that they are opening a new branch.
I don't hope for a Mc Donald to open but I would welcome a Cinema stop me again to go to Odeon in BR or Picture House in SE22. I would welcome more food restaurants doing different things. Dolphin is a nice pub pricey though ( I feel) and food is average so I end up going to Bridge House in Penge.
No more Estate Agent please !!! Coop didn't do well in my view because too pricey and average products competing with well priced Lidl next door and Tesco. I think if it had to be food store Marks would do well as different and affordable.
The fact is that there are many wealthy people in Sydenham but those don't shop on the high street but given their money to Dulwich or Becknham.
The front shop also need an improvement I think that would make a massive difference to the look of the high street but the Council really has to impose this I think.
Sorry I went on and on but I really care about the area which is one of the reasons I am still here since 09 but I am also contemplating moving in the next 3 years if no major changes to it specially now I have a family.

conti16 wrote:
conti16 wrote:I have been in Sydenham since June 2009 and things have changed but I feel that the area still needs improvement.
we need better shops on the high street so that I can stop going to Beckenham High street or CP or East Dulwich.
I contacted caffe nero and asked to come and see the area as I have noticed a few empty shops like former acorn and eaton estate agent.
I am supporting local shops during the weekend ( fish monger, the animal charity and hoof coffea) but we need more and better shops on the high street. Tired of this betting shops and pound one and news agents selling phones on the high street.
so many professionals lives in the area, why the need of this kind of shops?
Anyone knows if something happening to the high street any more? The regeneration was done a couple of years back with new pavement but anything else to look forwards to?
What happened to coop?
thanks