176 bus

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
syd-gal

176 bus

Post by syd-gal »

Some weeks back there was a discussion about proposed cuts to the 176 bus service. TFL have just announced that from 3 June " to better match how often buses run with demand for them, we have changed the frequency - Mon to Sat daytime buses will run every 10 minutes (with additional peak time enhancements)."

So that doesn't sound as if there is much change. At least there is no mention of stopping the all night buses.
Parker1970

Re: 176 bus

Post by Parker1970 »

syd-gal wrote:At least there is no mention of stopping the all night buses.
Thank goodness for that, the state I was in when I left the west end at 1am this morning I was very thankful for the 176 bus home :)
alywin

Post by alywin »

God forbid that they should stop the night buses!

BTW, I was rather pleased with myself a few months ago when I got the 176 all the way from its start up to King's *and* managed to change onto a different bus all within my one hour, on a single £1.50 Hoppa fare :) Barely, mind you - it was a slow day - but it worked.
stuart

Post by stuart »

I doubt few people will move to Sydenham because of the 24/7 176. But if they live in upper/mid Syd they should soon appreciate it.

Are there any here that haven't? If not, why?

Stuart
oluwababe

Post by oluwababe »

Don't forget you can catch the bus N63 if you live in Upper Sydenham aswell.
alywin

Post by alywin »

From my inbox:

"As part of our commitment to improve your bus service, new, greener buses have been introduced on route 176, which runs between Tottenham Court Road and Penge.

These new buses provide a more comfortable experience and reduce harmful emissions to help clean up London’s air.

Buses run as follows:
• Every 10 minutes Monday to Saturday daytimes
• Every 12 minutes Sunday daytime and each evening
• Every 20 minutes Friday and Saturday nights
• Every 30 minutes Sunday to Thursday nights

For more details, visit our bus improvements page"

I *hope* those are the green bus frequencies and not the overall frequencies, but I have my doubts.
stuart

Post by stuart »

I had a feeling when Arriva lost the franchise they also lost the incentive to keep the 176 buses clean and in good repair. The difference between the 176 and 197 was remarkable. All we need now [nudge, nudge] is that bus lane along Lawrie Park Road.

Stuart
rustya

Post by rustya »

I dont think a bus lane will do anyting.
What about the residents who fight to park near their houses.
Bus usage is reducing, not increasing so why spend money on a dedicated bus lane when no one uses buses a fequently as before. This explains why the 176 has had its frequency squeezed.
Paying additional money for a poor revenue realising service would be madness and cause more issues for residents of Lawrie Park Road.
The only suggestion so far that makes sense is to divert to the bus away and around forest hill to ring back punctuality to the service.
F Hill is hardly underserved anyway ...
stuart

Post by stuart »

rustya wrote:I dont think a bus lane will do anyting.
What about the residents who fight to park near their houses.
All the residents that side have off-road parking. As I said in the wish-list this would make it both easier and safer to get in or out.
rustya wrote:Bus usage is reducing, not increasing so why spend money on a dedicated bus lane when no one uses buses a fequently as before.

I think we have never had as many buses. Ridership has been significantly increasing in contrast to the rest of the country. The unexpected last year reversal has yet to be explained though inflationary pressure on low wage people and/or reliabilty of the on board ticket machines may be factors. Lots of unrecorded free rides!
rustya wrote:This explains why the 176 has had its frequency squeezed.
See above, it doesn't seem to have been and it is often rammed. The pressure to reduce buses is because Boris cut the budget and concentrated that on his silly vanity useless 3 doorers and the Garden Bridge. TfL are now in an awful budgetry mess. Getting more mileage out of the existing fleet through more bus lanes can help that.
rustya wrote:Paying additional money for a poor revenue realising service would be madness and cause more issues for residents of Lawrie Park Road.
Or less issues if they can walk, cycle and drive more easily and safely plus cutting delays and getting more services per bus. Oh and get home/work more quickly. Helping buses move faster saves money.
rustya wrote:The only suggestion so far that makes sense is to divert to the bus away and around forest hill to ring back punctuality to the service.
F Hill is hardly underserved anyway ...
Aha, you are having a laugh! Removing our bus services is the only good move? I'm guessing you don't use them too often. How do you get about?

Stuart
syd-gal

Post by syd-gal »

You can always tell when a 176 is coming as it has an unique sound - as if it is about to blow up! It's about time they were scrapped.
Frequencies of 10/12 minutes daytimes are ok, about the same as now.
stuart

Post by stuart »

syd-gal wrote:You can always tell when a 176 is coming as it has an unique sound - as if it is about to blow up! It's about time they were scrapped.
Hey they were swopped out to spanky new buses a few days ago. Arriva is history. Its the 197 that is old hat now ... only every 30 mins after midnight. Was it 20 mins in the past?

Stuart
appletree

Post by appletree »

Hmm, interesting. I have noticed the change. Waits of 20-30 mins southbound from the river. Buses so crowded you have to stand much of the way, because these newer buses have fewer seats. I am not happy. This is my usual commute and not exactly as restful as it was. Currently on a 172 as I wasn't going to wait the projected 19 minutes for the next 176. I have already complained twice to TfL.