Polling Stations

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
GillM

Polling Stations

Post by GillM »

Live in Lower Sydenham, always voted at Hesletine Or Phillip Neri School. Hesletine is still a polling station. Why have we had to change to the polling station at Sydenham Centre? Luckily I found my polling card or would have just gone to Hesletine. Then would have been well peed off. Rant over but sorry just didn't see the sense for the change. BTW it was empty so please whatever your political persuasion please, please go and vote today.
syd-gal

Re: Polling Stations

Post by syd-gal »

I guess St Philip Neri school wasn't used so as not to cancel the school day. Makes sense!
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

It's always been used in the past. We always vote on a Thursday. I voted, but only noticed at the last minute that the station had changed.
alywin

Post by alywin »

There were a lot of complaints, when Theresa May called the election, that it would fall right in the middle of exams. That may be why some schools didn't take part.
KPR

Post by KPR »

Mine moved too, but it surely makes more sense to use the Sydenham Centre than cancel school for a day? If they did that at my kids' school it would mean me or my wife having to take a day off, and most people are probably in that boat.
Pally

Post by Pally »

I agree...schools should not be used as polling stations! How come its apparently ok for kids to mid a day of school for polling but anything else ...big deal re missing the curriculum bla bla! And it is very tough on parents, for no good reason!
mosy

Post by mosy »

I haven't a clue why voting stations change so pointless my speculating.

It's not cut and dried re closing schools for voting per se to me. If a school is closed, surely it's a golden opportunity to explain to children about the importance of voting and democracy which probably doesn't figure in the curriculum in a meaningful way.

No question that school closure causes problems for working parents though; however, why couldn't lessons go on anyway and just the assembly hall or gym be given over to voting for one day? There must be other reasons for concentrating into fewer voting centres.
KPR

Post by KPR »

Is it fewer or just different ones? I don't think they used the Sydenham Centre before so haven't they just moved the Philip Neri one up there?
Pally

Post by Pally »

mosy wrote:I haven't a clue why voting stations change so pointless my speculating.

It's not cut and dried re closing schools for voting per se to me. If a school is closed, surely it's a golden opportunity to explain to children about the importance of voting and democracy which probably doesn't figure in the curriculum in a meaningful way.

No question that school closure causes problems for working parents though; however, why couldn't lessons go on anyway and just the assembly hall or gym be given over to voting for one day? There must be other reasons for concentrating into fewer voting centres.
Cant give over just one section unless can be locked off from rest of shook where kids are!