old budgens

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
Andyb

old budgens

Post by Andyb »

seen people inside the old budgen/coop any ideas wats been planned.
Pally

Re: old budgens

Post by Pally »

I really hope something is!
Likelife

Post by Likelife »

I saw someone looking through the windows not even two hours ago as well.
GFA

Post by GFA »

Is there any more news on this? The lights were on inside this evening!
Andyb

Post by Andyb »

all I know is a surveyer want access into store and guess forgot to turn timer off on lights!.if I hear any more I'll post it.lets hope it's a better company than budgens!! (so close to that 30 years service in one shop)
SydenhamOwl

Post by SydenhamOwl »

Get Nando's there if the plans to have it in Kirkdale get killed off. I'd be up for it.
parker

Post by parker »

SydenhamOwl wrote:Get Nando's there if the plans to have it in Kirkdale get killed off. I'd be up for it.
The b@stards tampering with the Nando's plan for Kirkdale are going to have a fight on their hands.
syd-gal

Post by syd-gal »

Lights were still on today but no one was home!!!
syenhamboy

Post by syenhamboy »

lots of activity last night and today.
parker

Post by parker »

syenhamboy wrote:lots of activity last night and today.
That's good news, only 15 more years left to wait for something then probably.
Frack

Post by Frack »

Hey! I'm relatively new to the area but the budgens closing seems a big issue in the local area. Is there any news on what it might be?! Seems like such a waste of space!

Ps. I really think this website is a great community tool
Mayowthorpe

Post by Mayowthorpe »

It will need to go through Lewisham Planning, so I wouldn't expect anything in the space until 2020 at the earliest.

That's if Sydenham Society don't object, in which case 2024 could be a better bet.
Pally

Post by Pally »

Frack wrote:Hey! I'm relatively new to the area but the budgens closing seems a big issue in the local area. Is there any news on what it might be?! Seems like such a waste of space!

Ps. I really think this website is a great community tool
Hello Frack and welcome! I haven't heard or seen any specific plans for the site...hopefully something will happen as it is a largeish key site on the High St.
I agree this site is a great Community resource and hopefully it will be increasingly utilised by Councillors and various local groups as part of their communication strategy
KPR

Post by KPR »

The lights seem to be on 24/7, which may be deliberate to deter squatters but given the business that was the tenant is in administration I wonder who's paying the bill...there are a lot of lights in there.
Chris Best

Post by Chris Best »

I spoke to the administrators at PWC last week for an update on the progress and they are still trying to hand-back the keys to the landlord/landlords agents.

I have looked up the freeholders of 74-78 Sydenham Road (includes 1 Tannsfeld Road and 2 Girton Road) and they are Hydra Properties Limited, a registered private company incorporated in September 2004 in Jersey.

The title shows that Safeway took out a 99 year lease on 31 January 1977. We know that Safeway was bought by Morrison, in 2005 by Somerfield, 2010 Co-op Group and then rebranding to Budgens in 2016.

Looking at the register there is reference to the name Granada not being used. The cinema opened as The State in 1931 and changed to Granada in 1949 – in 1971 it was closed and demolished.

There is a Restrictive Covenant in the charges register
“Safeway Food Stores Limited hereby covenant with Granada Theatres Limited that Safeway Food Stores Limited and their successors in title will not in respect of the land hereby transferred:
(a) use the names of Granada and Century
(b) make use or permit or suffer the use of the names Granada or Century or to let any such name appear on any invoice label trade mark bill or advertisement or advertisements or on any other document or paper writing whatsoever or hold itself out as in any way connected with the organisation or group of companies known as Granada Group Limited"

I will call the administrators again as until the property is returned to the landlords agent it appears unlikely that a new tenant will be signed up.
Pally

Post by Pally »

Thanks for the information Chris.
Likelife

Post by Likelife »

Any updates? The colossal waste of electricity by keeping all the lights on is starting to bug me. :lol:
stuart

Post by stuart »

Do we know what is happening to other shops in the same block that was passed from Morrisons to Somerfields then to the Co-op and finally Budgens? I know there is one in the middle of Greenwich (opposite the old Town Hall/UniScamShop) but I haven't been over there recently.

You can see their old budgens here: https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.47877 ... 6656?hl=en

Stuart
luckygirl

Post by luckygirl »

I always think the same thing about the lights! The electricty bill - whose paying that?? They didn't bother turning the lights off when they took the branding down!!!!
parker

Post by parker »

The electricity bill for all these months is still a lot cheaper than ridding the premises of squatters or paying for damage caused by arson which would have been a lot more likely scenario had the lights not been turned on all this time.

Anyone know what is actually happening with it?