Graffiti Initiative

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
fishcox

Graffiti Initiative

Post by fishcox »

I think sending pictures of graffiti, and stuff that has been dumped, to the council, is a briliant idea, although I fear the council may have bitten off more than they can chew - looking at the number of pictures that have been submitted to them.

What is also ironic, is that the Google generated ads, at the side of the page on Sydenham Town, are for artworks by Banksy, a famous graffiti artist. Ooops.
Annie

Post by Annie »

Hiya,
Do you know what kills me?
i rang Lewisham council about Graffiti that is on a fence that runs along side my house and was told i would have to sign a form to say that if Lewisham council removed the graffiti they would not be held responsible for any damage that the removel might cause to said fence!!!!! now if the fence was mine i would have signed on the dotted line but it does'nt belong to me and the people who own it do not have to look at it day after day because they use the front door to their property not the side gate which is where the offending Graffiti is, they do not seem concerned at all so what do i do?
will Lewisham Council get in touch with the owners?Will / Do they Do anything???????????Any suggestions?or do i just give up!
Knighton

Post by Knighton »

It is quite amazing to hear someone expecting to exact any kind of service out of Lewisham. You could try your local councillor but there is no election pending so don't hold your breath.

You could always try a sneaky approach. Do your neighbours have planning consent for a painted sign? An enforcement order might then be appropriate. Perhaps then they would attend to their civic duty.

Referring to your other enquiry on another thread... The Lewisham website used to carry details of the "weekly lists" of planning applications. You could search for the information you require or phone the planning department.... If that part of Lawrie is within Lewisham.... otherwise it is Bromley.
BaggyDavid

Post by BaggyDavid »

Annie wrote:Hiya,
Do you know what kills me?
i rang Lewisham council about Graffiti that is on a fence that runs along side my house and was told i would have to sign a form to say that if Lewisham council removed the graffiti they would not be held responsible for any damage that the removel might cause to said fence!!!!! now if the fence was mine i would have signed on the dotted line but it does'nt belong to me and the people who own it do not have to look at it day after day because they use the front door to their property not the side gate which is where the offending Graffiti is, they do not seem concerned at all so what do i do?
will Lewisham Council get in touch with the owners?Will / Do they Do anything???????????Any suggestions?or do i just give up!
Annie do something to catch the owners attention get some other neighbours who finds it annoying to help you. Or sign a petion
Annie

Post by Annie »

:(
Thanks for your answer Baggydave,
But where i live mine is the last house in the road apart from the fence with the graffiti on it and opposite is also fencing so no one else is really affected so i dont think anyone is really interested.
Thing is when i rang the council they were more interested in the fact that they wouldnt be "sued" for damage then in keeping sydenham "Clean".
Do you not think that there should be a council "HOT LINE" so residents can ring about Graffiti and the council could inform the owners of the graffitied property that either they remove it or the council will charge them and do it ?
Chris Best

Post by Chris Best »

Hi Annie

Please email me - cllr_chris.best at lewisham.gov.uk with the details and I will ensure that the officers do write to the owner to get permission for the graffiti to be removed.

Councillor Chris Best
Knighton

Post by Knighton »

Now that is a result.

Please keep us informed of progress.
Annie

Post by Annie »

Thank you Chris i have sent you a private message because i can't send you an email for some unknown reason it says your name is to long?
please let me know what to do.
Annie

Post by Annie »

:D
Hiya just an update on the Graffiti on the fence near me,
I have been in touch with Lewisham through their website Recycling and Waste and they have responded in a positive way by sending a letter to the owners of the fence to ask for their permission to clean it,
they are currently waiting for a reply.
I don't know if you are aware of the Website but it's worth a look.
I have had two E.Mails from Lewishams Graffiti department and am so far very impressed.
Annie

Graffiti

Post by Annie »

:lol:

Hooray!!!
It's gone ,well done Lewisham Council and the Graffiti cleaners thank you very much.
:D