Exhibition on Rebuilding Crystal Palace NOW ON

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

Thanks THT!
outcast

Post by outcast »

I spose there is no chance of people saying that they would respect the majority view (Like a democratic kind of thing) instead of just what suits them,
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

As part of my Media corse at Lewisham College I am making a short film on this topic and have secured an interview with the people behind the proposal of rebuilding the Crystal Palace. I was just wandering if there where any questions anybody wanted me to ask?
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

There is now a petition running for those of us who would like to see a Crystal Palace in Crystal Place park

http://www.newcrystalpalace.org/petition/support.php
outcast

crystal palace exhibition

Post by outcast »

says in window that exhibition on for longer cos of popular demand. Its on tomorrow with live band, clowns and that and also Sunday with more of the same.
adrian

Post by adrian »

I don't think that anybody in support of this concept really has a clue what the result would be of an attempt to create a replica Victorian glass structure at a third scale with current building requirements regarding thermal performance etc. It would be a grotesque piece of architecture and a blot on the history of this site. A Disneyland fakery to appease Old Englanders.

This is effectively a commercial development with pastiche styling and a few bolt on functions to make it appear public spirited. If people want to propose a commercial/public development first debate it form the point of view of desirability and impact - which already seems to have occured in the context of the previous multiplex proposal. Branding it a 'New Crystal Palace' is neither here nor there and just appeals to people who don't realise they are being sold a tacky replica.

If there is to be a real civic building let it be put to open design competition and get the best current architecture that can respond to 21st century technology and sustainability concerns, just as Paxton would have done if he were alive now.
Juwlz

Post by Juwlz »

I totally agree with adrian.

The Crystal Palace was great in its day but trying to re-create the past would be a BIG mistake.

These days grass and trees have more of a 'wow factor' (what some people seem to be looking for) than any building.
John Greatrex

The Unveiling of The Crystal Palace Corner

Post by John Greatrex »

Coming Soon To A Hilltop Near You !

12 noon Saturday 7th June 2008 :

The Unveiling of Paxton's Crystal Palace Corner
bag lady

exhibition on crystal palace

Post by bag lady »

I think Adrian is completely right, we need to think about what a big glass house and it's associated thousands of visitors and workers may really mean to our beautiful patch of green history.
i love the fact you breath history when walking around the terraces. when you see the grave stone of the men who fell in the making of the building (in the church on westwood hill) you can see and almost feel the passion and commitment that went into building crystal palace, sydenham is not Disney Land.
Lets leave recreating history to the Yanks (apologies to our American residents) and just live with ours and keep it at it's best.
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

I would have completely agreed with Adrian until I went to the exhibition.

IF and it is a big 'if' they can build this with really wonderful attention to detail so it isn't a pastiche, it's a genuinely faithful 'restoration' then I think ti's worth it.

regarding the extra traffic, if that is a concern then why did we have the o2 centre, why build Wembley, why have concerts in Crystal Palace park, infact why have a park at all or anything to attract people to the area.

One of the most visited tourist attractions in London is the Tate Modern. I don't see lots of cars packed outside. Same for Madame Tussaudes which attracts million of visitors every year.

The park is served by a large bus garage, son the tram is going there, the east London line will serve 3 stations surrounding the park (Gypsy Hill, Crystal Palace, Penge etc, as will the normal services, and there are more stations not far away if they become congested.

Shops are closing in Crystal palace parade, no one actually cones to Sydenham who doesn't live there, the area isn't really a destination. It's somewhere people pass through on the way to somewhere else (hense the traffic).

Get more people to come here to spend time (and money here) and you will see a lift to the local economy. rebuilding the Crystal Palace would be a great way of achieving this.

I think they should do it and build the developments in the park AROUND the new building.

And having been to the sight of the Barcelona world expo (where Le Corbusiers' wonderful pavillion is) and having seen the incredible fountain there with their coloured light displays, re-instating the fountains in CP park would be a great attraction.

All great parks need a focus. Why not rebuild the building that gave this former great park and the surrounding area it's name.
outcast

Post by outcast »

Whats wrong with lots of people coming here. I think it would be good. exciting. I would go to it maybe catch a film or a concert and not hve to get a bus from miles away. I have been looking for a job for a long time my friends as well and maybe we could get one in the Palace. My mum would be plesed. It was a beautiful building we should bring it back.
Lillylocks

Post by Lillylocks »

I completely agree with all the comments leenewham made - every single one of them. As a mother of a teenager, I can't wait for the palace to be rebuilt. I adore the shops and markets in this area and get seriusly depressed when I see empty shop units. Bring back a building of importance like this, and that will NOT happen.
Too many opposers to the rebuild are 'worried' about things that are easily rectified and sorted. Every single scheme of major importance has its teething problems before being corrected and made good.
Bring back the palace (whoever it was who originally brought in the word 'pastiche' really should check it out in a dictionary) and give Crystal Palace back its identity.
Hey Outcast - I'll see you in the employment line, because I also want to work there!!!
:)
John Greatrex

The Crystal Palace Corner April 2008 Update

Post by John Greatrex »

1 The first five 3ft high pieces of The Crystal Palace Corner are now bolted in place on the top site with grateful thanks to George Irwin's Fairground Folk for their able bodied assistance.

2. CPF Construction Ltd have volunteered to erect the 17ft colunms nearer the official launch date of Saturday 7th June 2008.

Please note: The Crystal Palace Corner is no pastiche - it is a full size, cast-iron, Paxton designed, reconstructed bit of Paxton's Palace in Paxton's Park.
Richie

Post by Richie »

I can understand peoples concerns about traffic and the like, but I think the building of a new Crystal Palace is exactly the right thing to do in the park. I don't know if it is a case of longtime residents becoming used to the park as it stands, but I moved to Sydenham last year and on my first walk around the park I was so disappointed. Apart from the dinosaur lake, the whole experience was like revisiting 1970's Britain. I could not believe that the terraces had been allowed to fall into such disrepair! I like the architecture of the sports centre (very south bank) but the carpark is monstrous. The cafe reminds me of a rainy day in Pontins, the concert bowls rusting, and the maze was in disarray. There is so much potential here, and it is such an historic place. Along with the East London Line a rebuilt park could really turn the area around and improve the standard of living for everyone.

Is the exhibition still on? and could someone tell me more about the Crystal Palace corner?
Juwlz

Post by Juwlz »

Why stop at building a new Crystal Palace? - why not build over all the parks in fact and get rid of all those nasty trees and grass where people can walk their dogs, run around and generally enjoy a bit of nature.

Why oh why can't we be admired by the rest of London and have everyone from around the world come and visit us to see our buildings. We desperately need everyone else's love and admiration and we're not going to get that with boring old grass and open space are we now?
Weeble

Post by Weeble »

nasaroc wrote:It amazes me that many of the people who (quite correctly) opposed the cinema complex are now in favour of this monstrous scheme which includes "leisure" facilities and a hotel and is fronted by a "consortium of local businessmen."

Here is the cinema complex back under a different guise.
Couldn't agree more! I know the people backing these ideas have the best of intentions, but yes, I can't help but feel this is the multiplex back again in more attractive packaging.

The amount of money needed to make this happen means it's almost inevitable that the aspirations to make this a community focused venture will be lost in the drive to make it commercially viable. Whilst I'm sure the intention isn't for an identikit commercial development, I'm sure that is what we'd end up with.

I think people are looking at this through rose-tinted spectacles. Do they really want a conference or events venue or their doorstop, with the accompanying disruption? I remember when Coldplay came to the park, the majority seemed to be grumbling about the noise and transport disruption, rather than embracing the occasion.

I also can't get behind the concept this would be a faithful representation of the original palace. It can't be - it's not just about the building itself, it was part of a different age that we can't recreate.

If people want to see some kind of tribute to the original palace, I'd be in favour of a small building along the lines of the crystal palace in Madrid, nothing more. Pictures of the Madrid palace here: http://spain.archiseek.com/madrid/madri ... istal.html Something like this could house events or exhibitions on a smaller scale more in keeping with the park and the area.

Frankly I don't know why I'm bothering to voice my opinion as I think the chances of this being taken seriously by the LDA are between slim and none.

Sorry for being so negative.
Juwlz

Post by Juwlz »

Well said Weeble. And you're not being negative you're being positive in my opinion.
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

[quote="Weeble"][quote="nasaroc"]
If people want to see some kind of tribute to the original palace, I'd be in favour of a small building along the lines of the crystal palace in Madrid, nothing more. Pictures of the Madrid palace here: http://spain.archiseek.com/madrid/madri ... istal.html Something like this could house events or exhibitions on a smaller scale more in keeping with the park and the area.
/quote]

That building was inspired by the crystal palace. It's lovely.

As for comments like 'why not build over the whole park' well, thats just daft. Where the new palace is situated, it will be on the current graveled part of the park. No-one is saying 'lets chop down trees'.

The facilities within the building are there to pay for it. The proposal is to build a SMALLER version o the palace in the place where the palace first stood, using the same methods, detailing and construction techniques as the original building that inspired most glass structures around the world and was widely copied around the world.

It is indeed much better packaging than the awful images I saw for the horrible pastiche that was the proposed multiplex years ago.

This is a faithful reproduction, not a pastiche.
Juwlz

Post by Juwlz »

Excuse me Leenewham, but the 'gravelled part of the park' is quite a vast area, and not all that gravelled. A lot of people use that area for recreation (myself included).
And even if it the actual footprint didn't take up much room - You don't just have a building in isolation do you? You'd have car parks and walkways around it - all of which would eat into the green area.

Face it, you're talking about building on a park! And for what - what are you going to put in the building? Its a ridiculous suggestion - scandalous in fact.
Its exactly what people like nasaroc have pointed out - just the multiplex idea in disguise.
Thank goodness its not likely to ever be seriously considered. I am absolutely certain that the people who are in misguidedly in favour of it now would be seriously disappointed with the reality of it if it ever happened.
sophie

Post by sophie »

I visited the exhibition a few weeks ago and signed the petition regarding a new Crystal Palace. I think the plans look great and are a good way of keeping park land up and running as well because there are plans to fund the park through the revenue raised with the main build. I love having open spaces but I also hate seeing areas fall apart and there is so much potential in the Crystal Palace area. It is sad walking round the triangle and seeing 2/3 running okay (but even those roads seem to be faced with more empty places than a couple of years ago) and 1/3 virtually dead. If the area surrounding the park dies then the park will wither as well.