Wells Park practice patients' meeting

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
Robin Orton

Wells Park practice patients' meeting

Post by Robin Orton »

My wife and I were at last night's meeting at Forest Hill Methodist Church and learned a lot, including about how the appointment system works. Lots of brickbats from the floor, but also bouquets. Made us feel even more positive about the practice - they realise that there are lots of problems (mostly due to shortages of staff, particularly doctors, and other resources) but are really trying to do their best for patients.

Someone suggested from the floor that a change of government was the only real answer to the problems. But this intervention did not meet with universal approval and we moved swiftly on.
butters

Re: Wells Park practice patients' meeting

Post by butters »

Thats interesting, I registered with Sydenham surgery, purely out of laziness as it was closer and always seemed empty so i thought i stood a better chance of getting an appointment. had a pretty horrendous time with the nurse during registration so looking to move....
RachelF

Post by RachelF »

I migrated to Wells Park from the Sydenham Practice (because my GP moved there). It is very frustrating trying to get an appointment at WP but I am not convinced it’s different anywhere else in London. Once, after being vetted and rejected as a qualifying case for an imminent appointment (It was suggested that I went to A&E, and then when I said it was not an emergency, an injuries clinic, for leg pain that was not injury related) I asked what sort of thing would enable me to get a same/next day appointment. She said "Something like a chest infection." However I think the receptionists are amazingly patient (I've sat waiting for a doctor for half an hour many a time and witnessed what they have to put up with) and my husband was sent by the Sydenham Practice to some sort of hospital run GP overflow service (on a week day) when he was very poorly with what he thought was a chest infection. It’s easy to get frustrated with the practices, but it’s hard not to put almost all the blame on the government (and its seemed intent on privatization of the NHS by stealth tactics: for example i’s easy to see how before long quite a lot of people will be prepared to spend the odd £20 here and there just to get to see a doctor that bit more quickly.)

Wells Park has the best Practice Nurse ever, too :)
Robin Orton

Post by Robin Orton »

Rachel, I guess what your husband was referred to was the GP Extended Access Service which we were told about at the meeting. From the practice website:

GP Extended Access Service

There are now more appointments with GPs available in Lewisham, making it easier for you to get an appointment at a time that suits you, including evenings and weekends.

Who will provide this service?

This service will be provided by One Health Lewisham. One Health Lewisham is wholly owned by the GP practices in the borough of Lewisham, working together on behalf of practices, patients, and staff to deliver safe, effective and responsive healthcare services.

How does the service work?

If there are no more appointments available at the Practice, we may offer you an appointment with the GP Extended Access Service. You will be seen by experienced Lewisham clinicians. These appointments are available from 8.00am to 8.00pm, 7 days a week, including bank holidays. Your medical record will, with your consent be available to the GP that sees you so as to ensure that they have the information they need to give you the best possible care. We will receive electronic notes of your consultation at the Extended Access Service.

Some Exceptions?
Currently the appointments can only be available to patients aged 18 and above
Are able and willing to travel to Lewisham Hospital for their appointment and see a doctor who is not their usual GP
Are willing to share their record with the GP Extended Access Service
Do not require a repeat prescription
Do not have an immediate urgent or emergency life-threatening conditions.
RachelF

Post by RachelF »

I imagine so. Great it's in place but Sad it has to be. They were unable to offer him a normal working hours appointment, and this one was several days after he rang up.
butters

Post by butters »

RachelF wrote:I migrated to Wells Park from the Sydenham Practice (because my GP moved there). It is very frustrating trying to get an appointment at WP but I am not convinced it’s different anywhere else in London. Once, after being vetted and rejected as a qualifying case for an imminent appointment (It was suggested that I went to A&E, and then when I said it was not an emergency, an injuries clinic, for leg pain that was not injury related) I asked what sort of thing would enable me to get a same/next day appointment. She said "Something like a chest infection." However I think the receptionists are amazingly patient (I've sat waiting for a doctor for half an hour many a time and witnessed what they have to put up with) and my husband was sent by the Sydenham Practice to some sort of hospital run GP overflow service (on a week day) when he was very poorly with what he thought was a chest infection. It’s easy to get frustrated with the practices, but it’s hard not to put almost all the blame on the government (and its seemed intent on privatization of the NHS by stealth tactics: for example i’s easy to see how before long quite a lot of people will be prepared to spend the odd £20 here and there just to get to see a doctor that bit more quickly.)

Wells Park has the best Practice Nurse ever, too :)
The practice nurse I saw at SP was....well I felt like I had gone back in time. She was so unprofessional that I am honestly putting off going back for a procedure because I don't want her jabbing about down there, calling my cervix fat or something!

The receptionists seem nice enough, although when I went to register, at 2 minutes past 6, she told me she cant do registrations after 6 as its their busiest time. i was literally the only person standing there. i had already pre filled a form I had picked up a few days before. I appreciate the rule is there for a reason, but come on!! it was only when she heard me deliberating with my partner about when we could next get out of work early to make their one day a week later opening, she relented and did it.