Two more shops closed

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
SydenhamOwl

Two more shops closed

Post by SydenhamOwl »

Ladbrooks on the corner of Newlands Park and Golden Grill on corner of Sydenham Rd/Kent House Road.

Hoping for something interesting to come in their place but not holding my breath...
stuart

Re: Two more shops closed

Post by stuart »

IMHO its good to know maybe less people in Sydenham want to gamble their money away these days. To be diverted into supporting something more useful to Sydenham perhaps?

Stuart - full disclosure - I'm off to watch the gee-gees racing at Epsom tonight :)
SydenhamOwl

Post by SydenhamOwl »

I'd like to think so. There is another Ladbrooke's barely a stone's throw away however so maybe having two shops on the same street was too much even for Sydenham!
stuart

Post by stuart »

SydenhamOwl wrote:There is another Ladbrooke's barely a stone's throw away however so maybe having two shops on the same street was too much even for Sydenham!
Was that the result of a merger?

Stuart
SydenhamOwl

Post by SydenhamOwl »

stuart wrote:
SydenhamOwl wrote:There is another Ladbrooke's barely a stone's throw away however so maybe having two shops on the same street was too much even for Sydenham!

Stuart
Not sure to be honest. Just noticed there was another Ladbrooke's further down the street. Considerably closer than the two Sainsbury's are!

The Ladbrooke's store on the corner would be perfectly sized for a nice cafe/restaurant. Or maybe the demand will be stronger for something Sydenham doesn't already have much of...A hairdresser perhaps?
simon

Post by simon »

stuart wrote:

Stuart
Probably is the result of the Ladbrokes/Coral merger. CMA ordered some disposals and there is a Coral on Kirkdale. Newlands Park was easily the worst of the three and I'm not surprised no other operator wanted it.

Good luck at Epsom tonight!
stuart

Post by stuart »

simon wrote:Good luck at Epsom tonight!
The racing finishes at 8:40pm. Culture Club concert start at 9pm. I'm putting my money on (almost) local lad Boy George will be the winner!

Stuart
maestro

Post by maestro »

Do you really want to hurt me? :roll:
mosy

Post by mosy »

I suspect betting shops are there mostly for high street name presence to garner online customers rather than to be profitable (slot machines aside) in their own right.

The shop on the corner of Newlands Park is interesting though. In Feng Shui it's good to have a corner doorway, plus some interior visible along both sides, as Eaton Green had (now vape shop). I never understood why Budgens (or was it their predecessor) closed theirs and made the main entrance/exit further along. Sainsbury (near The Greyhound) has too, having designed an obscure entrance well around the corner. Weird, and somehow just wrong. I don't suppose a new lessee would ever move into Ladbrokes due to planning permissions if it wanted to start tampering with the side wall though so I'm not holding my breath.
syd-gal

Post by syd-gal »

Didn't realise the Golden Grill had closed. Saw it was shut this afternoon, but assumed it was just too early as it only opens early evening.
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Any one who uses internet shopping is a hypocrite crying after closed shops.

Amazon and their cohorts are out to destroy our High Street.

Please use our local shops.
syd

Post by syd »

Well I tried to keep the high street alive and went to a small plumber (not in Sydenham) & b&q rather than order online. And I got the usual can't be bothered rudeness from the staff. It's was the first time I've used a shop for anything other than food in about 5 years and I won't do it again.
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Syd
You are an example of someone killing the High Street.

You only used it for food. What about Banks , undertakers , Florists , card shops ETC ETC. I agree with demise of K and B little chance of getting radio or TV.

Sydenham , like other places , would be dead without a High Street.

Please shop locally , Sydenham needs you.

Of course a huge tax on Internet shopping and deliveries might help , but cannot expect this waste of space government to do anything.
Pally

Post by Pally »

I find the food shops (Fresh and Fruity; Billings; Sainsburys Local; PFC;) really great. Sydenham Diy is excellent, and have not encountered any rudeness at B&Q so far. Angie's for flowers is great. Boots the chemist and Superdrug both helpful when needed. Kirkdale bookshop great to order through and v efficient. Dolphin nice to drink in and eat and Tratt Raff for food for as well and other choices like Ghurkas depending on tastes. On the Hoof for Coffee. Poundstore and others for surprising bargains. I miss the Coop though! Not to mention the Kirksale offerings.
I do use the internet for shopping but not that often; Sydenham or other local High Streets do have what is needed and its a shame to be put off.

Having said that there remains potential for a more cohesive development in Sydenham over time.
Steveofsyd

Post by Steveofsyd »

I suspect the Ladbrooks will be another Estate Agent. I hope I'm wrong.
Pally

Post by Pally »

Steveofsyd wrote:I suspect the Ladbrooks will be another Estate Agent. I hope I'm wrong.
So do I!
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Surely an estate agent better than a bookies ?
Pally

Post by Pally »

Eagle wrote:Surely an estate agent better than a bookies ?
Sydenham doesn't need any more Estate Agents OR Bookies!
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Pally
No , it wants shops we used to have like K and B , Boags , Tip Top Bakery , Record Forum and Cobbs and many others.
Pally

Post by Pally »

Eagle wrote:Pally
No , it wants shops we used to have like K and B , Boags , Tip Top Bakery , Record Forum and Cobbs and many others.
I'm not sure just "going back" to what used to be there is the answer either!!