Syd Society help request for pavement opposite library?

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
Nigel

Re: Syd Society help request for pavement opposite library?

Post by Nigel »

Ben
Much appreciated - just to add its in no way restricted to that pavement towards Home Park - the problem goes all the way up the high street .

A very good evening
Nigel
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Ben
Is there any update yet ?
The longer it goes on the more entrenched it will become - on a technical point ( and please let's not this become a council of despair ) who's failing to do what here ? Is it the local authority , parking enforcement, leaseholder ?
I know the culprits are the man-babies that think their convenience rates higher than the safety of actual babies , but whose backside needs a gentle kick ?

A very good evening
Nigel
mikej

Post by mikej »

Would like to add my support for sorting out the lower end of the High St:

1. from the area from the Lovely Gallery to Kent House road - where various cars are parked on the pavement for most of the day. Ridiculous. Unsightly. Totally unpoliced in any real sense.

2. Opposite the library (where I volunteer) the tyre business has used the area around itself as an unofficial workshop for as long as I have been helping in the library - since 2011 for goodness sake. Do anything you want to do, frankly.

Glad to hear, Ben, that you are involving the Syd Soc in an attempt to sort this all out - I wait with bated breath for your latest update.

Best wishes

Mike
marymck

Post by marymck »

It's not just lower Sydenham that suffers from this attitude. Take a look at this snap of the pavement around the Kirkdale Christmas tree. The only thing missing from the picture are the cars that usually park there. Quite apart from how dangerous the weight of the cars is making the pavements for pedestrians, how can people show such disrespect for the area in which they live or have their business?

It took years of effort to get a Christmas tree for Kirkdale. Our current FH Councillors have been really supportive and through their efforts I thought a sense of pride in place would return. But this is like a slap in the face to them and I wouldn't blame them if they gave up.

PS I forgot that frustratingly I can't post images on this website. The pavement there is also being used by someone running a scrap car business. I have photos of that too. I don't know if it's the same person that runs his scrap car business from the Girton Road car park. I counted 8 cars in the lower level car park last week, tyres deflated, engine on the back seat of one of them.
Beninahurry

Post by Beninahurry »

Morning
Sorry for the delay.
We went and took photos recently of the tyre business and how it is operating and we are following it up with our councillors to hopefully apply some pressure to get the situation improved. It might be worth everyone contacting the council direct on the matter too to help lend weight. Safe passage for pedestrians and cars is something we need to ensure happens so hopefully together we can help sort this problem.
It would also be worthwhile emailing chair@sydenhamsociety.co.uk with any issues or concerns you have too and we can investigate and report back. Thank you for raising this.
Best wishes
Ben
marymck

Post by marymck »

Thanks Ben. I have emailed my Kirkdale photos to Lewisham's Highways Dept and to our FH Ward councillors (as although upper Kirkdale is in Sydenham SE26 we're in FH's political ward.) Part of the problem on Kirkdale is that CostCutters have a curtilage to the front, as do all the other businesses on that side of the road between Halifax Street and Fransfield Grove, with the exception of the Woodman/Journey Cafe, which has no curtilage to the front. The wooden platforms recently built by the Journey Cafe are on the BT access panels and the footpath. Highways aren't too pleased about that, but don't seem able to do anything about the rest of the pavement, which to me is the real problem. I can't imagine anyone would object to a cafe putting tables on a pavement - especially as the Woodman has been so divided up into almost all residential now.

I don't know the situation in lower Sydenham re curtilages, but Highways Department would be able to supply a map.
Hissing Syd

Post by Hissing Syd »

That's great news, Ben - delighted to hear that there is some movement on this front.

I've taken a fair amount of photos relevant to this over the last 12 months or so. From what you've said I assume the best thing to do would be to send them to a Councillor (Councillor Best?) cc-ing Syd Soc? If so I'll do this after Christmas.

Many thanks for your help and for taking the time.
Beninahurry

Post by Beninahurry »

Morning
The council have informed us the Highways Inspector will be visiting the premises shortly. The Sydenham Ward councillors and the council have been aware of the issues and are looking to improve matters. I'll let you have an update once we have it.
Best wishes
Larky

Post by Larky »

Fingers crossed! I have had no joy with the council previously on this problem !
Emc

Post by Emc »

It would be wonderful if the tyre shop was made to clean up its act. It's just so inconsiderate to have all the dirt and mess outside people's doors. Surely they can find a better location? If they need to use the street and public areas to operate, then they shouldn't be there. They are totally disrespectful of people living on the road.

Another vote for bollards and trees at both sides of the end of larkbere road, to cut both the tyre shop mess and fly tipping. I'd really appreciate if you could keep the pressure up on this Ben.
Larky

Post by Larky »

Hi, any update on this ? Trying not to drive over them when they are laying in the middle of the road changing a tyre on a car is becoming a challenge !

How they get away with parking the van on double yellow lines on a corner always baffles me
Larky

Post by Larky »

Hi,
Can we have an up date on this please ?

Still blocking the road.

Changing tyres on double yellow lines and leaving their van parked on the double yellow lines.
Hissing Syd

RE :Syd Society help request for pavement opposite library?

Post by Hissing Syd »

In the absence of any further news or hope on this, I've decided to share a few pictures taken over the course of the last year. If a picture paints a thousand words... then perhaps these can help highlight the persistent fly-tipping and bad behaviour that blights the end of Larkbere Road. The state of our street sign, used as a drinks holder, says it all.

At a time when Council Tax has just gone up, and the public are having to face more restrictions than ever on refuse etc, why is such flagrant negligence allowed to go unchecked? It doesn't send out a great message, seemingly saying: do as you like, no one cares, or is going to stop us.

Or if the pavement really is a free for all, doubling as a tyre showroom and a parking space for private cars, can I put up a couple of wallpaper tables down there and sell baked goods? Perhaps I'm looking at this the wrong way, and should embrace the opportunity?

Joking aside, as ever, any help would be greatly appreciated, be it from SydSoc, the Council, or the Avengers - many thanks.

Ghlpc

Post by Ghlpc »

Hissing Syd I sympathise...

I used to live on Larkbere, opposite the garage, so know exactly the frustrations you feel.

If this were the Thorpes it wouldn't happen. In fact they'd probably make it a no through road and turn it into a pocket square!

Seriously though please get in touch with one of our local councillors about this...surely they can take up the case for you?
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

This is absolutely appalling - like cars , unchallenged ,parked on the pavement it says : you can do whatever you want in Sydenham and no by-law or local agency will challenge .
It’s not exactly covert - how in the name of arse do they get away with despoiling the streets and creating health hazards in such a conspicuous way ?
Full sympathy - surely someone at LB Lewisham is not doing their job ?

A very good evening
Nigel
Spark plug

Post by Spark plug »

Use the tyre shop on Southend Lane,it has plenty of off road space and is not a nuisance,been there twice recently ,cheap and quick,with no overflow onto the pavement.Boycott that tyre shop on Larkbere Road,that will hurt them and it should.
The Clown

Post by The Clown »

Hissingsyd - If you draft a generic email / letter and post it here along with an email address, I would be happy to add my voice to your complaints as I agree, it brings down the tone of the Home Park area. These issues have a wider impact on society than we often give them credit for.

Whats the name / exact location of the Tyre place on Southend Lane?
Larky

Post by Larky »

Sydenham Society have just be ignoring my request for help on this thread after appearing to be interested.
I emailed the police who advised that Trading Standards are aware and have been to visit.
I have emailed Trading Standards twice but not reply from them either !
Larky

Post by Larky »

I was also told that the same people own the tyre shop on Southend Lane, but not sure if that is correct.
Spark plug

Post by Spark plug »

Tyre shop on Southend Lane is next to Serk Motors in the old petrol station,very tidy and clean,cannot believe they are related to Sydenham Tyres.