Roadworks Crystal Palace/Fountain Drive/Westwood Hill

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
Parker1970

Re: Roadworks Crystal Palace/Fountain Drive/Westwood Hill

Post by Parker1970 »

vbsydenham wrote:
stuart wrote:Nope that's the absolute opposite* of a 'Dutch' roundabout
As is what they are building on the parade:

http://www.2.southwark.gov.uk/downloads ... ace_parade

The angles at the crossing points are wrong and there is ambiguous priority throughout.
stuart wrote:I'm assuming no actual cyclists were involved in this design.
There was in this one, and it's still rubbish.
Good lord I am definitely concerned now..,.... what narcissist thought that one up and can they give me an ounce of what they were smoking?
vbsydenham

Post by vbsydenham »

It's well intentioned. I have some sympathy with the people trying to get stuff like this built.

One of the problems is British traffic regulations just don't exist yet to properly build the type of scheme pictured earlier in the thread. So that design is still on a test bed in Bedford somewhere while we await the legislation that might make it possible (it was created as a possible solution to the horrible Lambeth Rd North roundabout but they haven't managed to get it put in there either).

So the planners are left trying to build Dutch inspired schemes with British templates and tools. And they have to do all this whilst not taking any space or capacity from motor vehicles (because... well that's a whole other debate). So you end up with schemes that are bad for everyone (this one), or good schemes that don't get past the consultation phase (Lambeth), or nothing. In this case nothing might have been a better option.
vbsydenham

Post by vbsydenham »

Same story all over London. Although we might disagree on the correct remedy for Maple Road. If you look at the map it is blindingly obvious that it shouldn't be a through road at all.
OnCrestOfHill

Post by OnCrestOfHill »

Having been cut up on one of those roundabouts by a driver turning left who wasn't patient enough for me to go straight on at the slow speed the climb up the hill had brought me to, I'm glad they're doing something. After that experience, I suspect I would use the new paths if I was still cycling even if you faster cyclists disdain it.
vbsydenham

Post by vbsydenham »

Yes, but if you look at the designs, to go straight on you will need to pull out across the car behind you to navigate right onto the island to get onto the cycle track. i.e they've made it more awkward and dangerous than it is at the moment.
simono

Post by simono »

As a cyclist who often uses this route on the way to work, up Westow Hill and down Fountain Drive this road layout looks awful. It isn't actually that bad if you are a sensible cyclist and if you commute in London by bike you have to learn to be. From my point of view I would never use the outside lane to turn left down the hill. I would still go to the center as ironically I think I would be better protected rather than have to cross 2 lanes of traffic.
I would be much more interested in this model at the Cobbs Corner roundabout where anyone coming out of Spring Hill to go up either Westow Hill or Kirkdale has to take their life in their hands as people fail to stop when they are coming up the hill to the roundabout.
owlwise

Post by owlwise »

Looks like a nightmare to me! Get ready for a lot of confusion and accidents :?