Lemon Tree

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
SydenhamOwl

Lemon Tree

Post by SydenhamOwl »

The Lemon Tree restuarant towards the end of Sydnenham Road (near Sydenham beds) has closed down. Looks like it has become, or is becomming, a buffet style place. Not sure if still Indian.
Zsazsa

Re: Lemon Tree

Post by Zsazsa »

This will be interesting to watch. We used the Lemon Tree a far bit when it first opened and it was great. Sadly it went down hill quite quickly with all the dishes tasting similar and appearing in a lurid red, very disappointing! Fingers crossed for a brighter future.
topofthehill

Post by topofthehill »

The owner of many years took seriously ill. I understand someone else - I think a relation, but not sure- took it over.
syd-gal

Post by syd-gal »

It was described in the newshopper as one of Lewisham's worst eateries and was given just 1 star.

http://www.newsshopper.co.uk/news/14748 ... #gallery46
syd-gal

Post by syd-gal »

I see the Lemon Tree is now Moynul's. The outside banners look the same. Has anyone been, or know anything about it?
pip

Post by pip »

Apparently no alcohol.You cant take your own either.
syenhamboy

Post by syenhamboy »

pip wrote:Apparently no alcohol.You cant take your own either.

It'll close down through lack of business in no time.
MagmaTimes

Post by MagmaTimes »

syd-gal wrote:I see the Lemon Tree is now Moynul's. The outside banners look the same. Has anyone been, or know anything about it?
Weird place now. Indian restaurant doing a "traditional English breakfast buffet" on the weekends?
SydenhamOwl

Post by SydenhamOwl »

I went in here on Saturday evening.

It's a bit of a mixed bag. The food is good and they have a nice variety on the buffet. However, as has been pointed out the lack of alcohol and no 'bring your own' looks like it's putting people off. A very quiet and slightly sombre atmosphere. That said, they got several phone calls for take aways so maybe they are doing OK.
topofthehill

Post by topofthehill »

An Indian Restaurant in Forest Hill tried the no alcohol policy when there was a change of ownership. That policy lasted about a week before reverting back to alcohol.
syd-gal

Post by syd-gal »

SydenhamOwl....... so has it actually changed hands, with new people? Or have they just changed the name?!

Strange about the English breakfast, haven't seen that sign. What time does it open for breakfast?
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

There are so many takeaways, it would have to be excellent to survive. The Lemon Tree started off well, but went down hill.

The English breakfast puts me off.

The Himalayan Kitchen in Penge is the best Indian food for miles. It would be nice to have something else, like Thai, Turkish, Greek or a decent Chinese around these parts, that's a nice place to sit in too. Thre are loads in other areas, but nothing here.
chrisj1948

Post by chrisj1948 »

I agree that Himalayan Kitchen has the best Indian food locally. At one time I would have chosen Gurkhas, but I think they changed their chef a few years ago and, whilst still good, no longer have the same edge.

Regards
Chris
topofthehill

Post by topofthehill »

The chef who left Gurkhas is now the owner of Himalayan kitchen. I did think Gurkhas went down slightly at one stage, but have eaten there twice very recently and food is superb.
SydenhamOwl

Post by SydenhamOwl »

syd-gal wrote:SydenhamOwl....... so has it actually changed hands, with new people? Or have they just changed the name?!

Strange about the English breakfast, haven't seen that sign. What time does it open for breakfast?
I got the impression it has changed hands.

The breakfast thing is weird, I walk past there every morning and never see anyone in there. Not sure who would realistically go there for breakfast on a weekday anwyay unless there were big work places nearby. Perhaps builders/construction workers if they ever start developing the waste land site next door to Sydenham beds...

It's a shame, people will generally avoid somewhere that's always empty but if no-one tries it word will never get out.
MagmaTimes

Post by MagmaTimes »

In my humble opinion it's never a great idea for a restaurant apparently wanting to advertise itself as offering international cuisine with some degree of authenticity to simultaneously offer an English breakfast buffet. Totally puts me off trying out the Indian food there. I don't see this place lasting long...
sydnami

Post by sydnami »

V intrigued by the '29 min delivery' promise on their front sign. Seems a slightly arbitrary figure, no?
pip

Post by pip »

Would have to be pre cooked in order to deliver within 29 minutes. Also noticed only 8 main course dishes.
syd-gal

Post by syd-gal »

I went past Thur late morning and there was no one having breakfast. Looked dark inside as well, don't know if it was actually open.
Think I'll stick to Sainsbury's or Wetherspoons if I want a fry up!
SydenhamOwl

Post by SydenhamOwl »

Have been in here a couple of times. Once for sitting in and once for takeaway.

They have quite an extensive takeaway menu and the food is pretty good - recommend. Sitting in is a bit of a weird experience. Hardly anyone there except the owner and a girl who does delivery for them. Friendly enough but 'dining in' doesn't seem to have caught on yet.

They do now let you bring your own booze however, which may attract some more interest.