Fix my Street

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
Pat Trembath

Fix my Street

Post by Pat Trembath »

Out of pure interest.

Has anyone else reported the 'blatant fly-posting' by Botton's Family Funfair paid agents up and down the high street.? Has anyone who wants improvements to the high street seen this and reported to fixmystreets.com or directly to Lewisham's Environmental team?

Anywhere their paid agents could cover with posters, they have. It's a regular occurrence. Permission is needed before this happens. No one is responsible for removing these illegal fly-postings - they can stay there till they rot. Permission has not been sought or approved.

This is not the only business which steps over the legal mark - look at the Belisha Beacons at Cobbs Corner roundabout with details of events way outside of our area or shop front stickers on a lot of shop fronts.

Previously, a couple of Sydenham Society members have removed Botton's posters only to see them replaced later in the day.

Botton's agents posted yesterday morning. I reported to fixmystreets.com with a photo lunchtime yesterday, and I've been updated that a council officer has been assigned to check out.

It's against the law and I'm hoping at least a formal warning is issued. Botton's can then apply and take responsibility as to where their advertising is posted - and then it is removed by an agreed date.

If you feel strongly that this practice should cease unless permission is granted please contact your local councillors and/or Lewisham's Environment Team
prince

Re: Fix my Street

Post by prince »

Pat Trembath wrote:Out of pure interest.

Has anyone else reported the 'blatant fly-posting' by Botton's Family Funfair paid agents up and down the high street.? Has anyone who wants improvements to the high street seen this and reported to fixmystreets.com or directly to Lewisham's Environmental team?

Anywhere their paid agents could cover with posters, they have. It's a regular occurrence. Permission is needed before this happens. No one is responsible for removing these illegal fly-postings - they can stay there till they rot. Permission has not been sought or approved.

This is not the only business which steps over the legal mark - look at the Belisha Beacons at Cobbs Corner roundabout with details of events way outside of our area or shop front stickers on a lot of shop fronts.

Previously, a couple of Sydenham Society members have removed Botton's posters only to see them replaced later in the day.

Botton's agents posted yesterday morning. I reported to fixmystreets.com with a photo lunchtime yesterday, and I've been updated that a council officer has been assigned to check out.

It's against the law and I'm hoping at least a formal warning is issued. Botton's can then apply and take responsibility as to where their advertising is posted - and then it is removed by an agreed date.

If you feel strongly that this practice should cease unless permission is granted please contact your local councillors and/or Lewisham's Environment Team
Thank you for your post Pat and thank you for taking the time to report this.

I have noticed a proliferation of stickers and other objects on street furniture. People seem to think it is acceptable to do this which it is not.

Thank you also for members of the Sydenham Society removing posters.

I am not quite sure however what you mean by "has anyone who wants to see improvements seen this and reported it".

I, like I am sure a whole lot of other people number are trying to do our bit.

I have personally taken down posters myself and people have looked at me as if I am going mad! I have also spoken to Shapers and asked them not to keep putting balloons and riboons up on lamp columns and then let them deflate and not take them down. When approached they were quite polite and did remove them.

I have also approached the Greyhound owner to get it cleaned up, which he kindly has.

I also routinely approach those who park on the pavement and to refrain from this.

Often a pleasant word often helps and gets things done.

Whilst I would like to thank you and members of the Sydenham Society for doing your bit, let's not forget that there are also lots of other people who are also trying to do their bit as well behind the scenes!
Pat Trembath

Post by Pat Trembath »

I just asked a question out of pure interest, Prince.
I was trying to raise awareness about fixmystreet.com which we can all use as a way of raising awareness in order to alert Lewisham Council's Environment Team of local offences.
Like you, I have taken action and removed various posters and reported over the years. Last year Sydsoc removed over 80 such posters from Botton and their agents posted throughout the high st and complained to LBL.
However, not everyone knows there is a way to report such transgressions by fixmystreet.com
So no apologies from me for repeating this website as a way to report fly-posting, fly-tipping and such-like. The more folk who know there is an easy website to report such offencesï and an app the better. :)
Parker1970

Post by Parker1970 »

I'll be honest, I saw they had all gone up everywhere, and my OCD kicked in at the odd angles they have been thrown up at and I got angry. Not as angry as I am now realizing I forgot about fix my street site, especially as I have used it before to get some racist graffitti removed!

Thanks for the reminder Pat.
gillyjp

Post by gillyjp »

Nice one Pat. I wasn't aware of the fixmystreets site but will certainly be using it from now on when I see flagrant breaches of street laws. Also just to remind everyone of the Love Lewisham site where pictures can be sent of fly tipping ect. They are very good - removing any graffiti and so on - dumped mattresses, and all the odd junk that certain people assume they can just leave anywhere, without a thought about anyone else!! Inconsiderate selfish idiots like that really make my blood boil.

Thumbs up to all of us who do our bit to keep our town looking respectable despite the idiots who seem hell bent on making it look unkempt by their trashy behaviour. It is a relentless battle but one that we, who care about our town, are determined to win.
KEVD

Post by KEVD »

I have used them both before around Sydenham. They work very well and get the job done very quickly.
Pally

Post by Pally »

I use Fixmystret regularly to report carious things. Its a good site
Pat Trembath

Post by Pat Trembath »

Great service from Lewisham's fly-posting team. I gather they were in the high street on Friday and removed most of the offending Botton's posters, having first taken photographs. Several bags full! Hopefully, some sort of legal action will be taken.

The few remaining posters were removed by local residents this morning.
Beninahurry

Post by Beninahurry »

Well done Pat and everyone else who reported it. Yes it was great to see Lewisham act so quickly. Let's hope they go after the culprits!

I think we all have a responsibility to act and report matters like this so let's keep flagging them on places like the forum and other online channels and then we'll succeed.
Ben