Little Nans Bar Seek Space

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
leenewham

Little Nans Bar Seek Space

Post by leenewham »

This is a great place in Deptford (and now Catford). On their website they say they are after new venues.
https://www.littlenans.co.uk/about-us

Can they be enticed to Sydenham? Do we have any interesting spaces for them in Sydenham?
butters

Re: Little Nans Bar Seek Space

Post by butters »

Lots of empty space atm, maybe the corner of Newlands where the bookies was?
topofthehill

Post by topofthehill »

Apparently they are opening in Forest Hill in October, exact venue a secret.
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

rod taylor wrote: I had a look at their website. It was a bit like reading Beatrix Potter.
They have a great story. They are nice people too. There are a few really good place around New Cross like that. The LP bar, London Particular, Birdie Num Num, no58 etc.
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

I don't know about Bugger Bognor but f.. Forest Hill for getting all the new stuff whilst we try to fake arousal and enjoyment for a bloody chicken shop .

I can see why they would see it as less risky to start up in FH and it's not because Syd Soc rightfully want to understand how Nando's are going to operate its fleet of unlicensed teeenagers on motor bikes .

A shame - there is plenty of support for new and whimsical ventures in Sydenham but somehow we seem to have that " not quite enough hipsters to sustain a sourdough pizza place " image still . I suspect we do but we're probably not making the best of ourselves to use that homely euphemism for a bit ugly ,

Good luck to them all the same

A very good afternoon
Nigel
prince

Post by prince »

Nigel wrote:I don't know about Bugger Bognor but f.. Forest Hill for getting all the new stuff whilst we try to fake arousal and enjoyment for a bloody chicken shop .

I can see why they would see it as less risky to start up in FH and it's not because Syd Soc rightfully want to understand how Nando's are going to operate its fleet of unlicensed teeenagers on motor bikes .

A shame - there is plenty of support for new and whimsical ventures in Sydenham but somehow we seem to have that " not quite enough hipsters to sustain a sourdough pizza place " image still . I suspect we do but we're probably not making the best of ourselves to use that homely euphemism for a bit ugly ,

A very good afternoon
Nigel
Really Nigel? Sydenham doesn't get any of the good stuff?

Since I have lived here (4 years) there seems to be a gradual change happening in Sydenham.

Great new businesses are beginning to invest and we are starting to see signs of a growing confidence in the area. What about Bob Wines, On the Hoof, Brown and Green and Beer Rebellion (the latter of which sadly missed by some)? Soon we will also have what promises to be a great new pub in the Greyhound and the Poodle Club. I would say that that is "good stuff".

Such businesses wouldn't be establishing if they didn't have some confidence in the area. The pace is slow but there are signs of change.

I note your observations about Nandos, for which you are clearly not a fan. However their potential investment is also a sign of confidence in the area. Let's please remember that not everyone is a young hipster or is middle class. There is a great many of our local community including many families who would actually enjoy being able to eat in a large eatery like Nandos.

It's also frankly quite ridiculous and unhelpful to suggest that Nandos will be operating a "fleet of unlicensed teeenagers on motor bikes". It's that type of nonsense which has resulted in their application taking 6.5 months to determine and still counting.

A very good evening to you
parker

Post by parker »

Nigel wrote:I don't know about Bugger Bognor but f.. Forest Hill for getting all the new stuff whilst we try to fake arousal and enjoyment for a bloody chicken shop .

A very good afternoon
Nigel
Erm, we're probably not even getting the Nando's anyway, even LESS going for Sydenham.
stuart

Post by stuart »

parker wrote:Erm, we're probably not even getting the Nando's anyway, even LESS going for Sydenham.
Cheer up old bean. I've raised a happy family here and enjoyed it even without, shock horror, Nando's. You seem to see only the less than perfect bits instead of enjoying some of the wonderful and unique features of SE26.

Do a bit to make it better. It's not hard. You won't get thanked and probably attacked by the professional moaners. They are the real downside of Sydenham as you once pointed out.

Stuart
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

In the name of arse - I was making a snarky and frivolous point about FH getting more nice things than us - which they do .
I have been as supportive of as many sydenham enterprises as any one - despite being lukewarm about Nando's .
I feel like I've wandered into some awful " safe space " .
Of course sydenham is better than it was 4 years ago but there is still some inhibitor that nobody can quite put their finger on and it's not SydSoc, it's not Councillor Best and it's certainly not me expressing my view about poxy chicken shops .

A very good evening
Nigel
Pally

Post by Pally »

Nigel wrote:In the name of arse - I was making a snarky and frivolous point about FH getting more nice things than us - which they do .
I have been as supportive of as many sydenham enterprises as any one - despite being lukewarm about Nando's .
I feel like I've wandered into some awful " safe space " .
Of course sydenham is better than it was 4 years ago but there is still some inhibitor that nobody can quite put their finger on and it's not SydSoc, it's not Councillor Best and it's certainly not me expressing my view about poxy chicken shops .

A very good evening
Nigel
I agree the apparent "inhibitor" is down to one group or individual. However each is part of a combined "whole" ! People keen to see change do not appear over welcomed! But working with what we have with people who have contributed much to Sydenham over the years, is what we have! I still don't get why FH has a number of sustained businesses' going back to the Portas Pilot money time ...Sydenham does not! We do have some lovely developments in Sydenham...here's to a few more from Namdos to independent ......
prince

Post by prince »

Thanks Lee. This type of venture looks great. I have taken the liberty of contacting them to see if they might be interested in investing in sydders!

Worth a punt!
Pally

Post by Pally »

Yup I contacted as well just to highlight Sydenham !
prince

Post by prince »

Great thanks pally. Positive action! Best
mosy

Post by mosy »

topofthehill wrote:Apparently they are opening in Forest Hill in October, exact venue a secret.
Might I ask if that's word of mouth only as it seems odd that they'd want to keep the location secret or how they could if a planning application has been submitted. Also, if opening in October, you'd think there'd be signs of something happening in a vacant shop unit that'd have been spotted as "something going on".

Any new info since your above post (5 Sept) please?
prince

Post by prince »

Hi since I contacted them yesterday the business owners have already contacted me back. It might go absolutely no where but they showed potential interest. "If you don't ask you don't get!"
topofthehill

Post by topofthehill »

It was on their Facebook page. Last I heard it will be somewhere in Dartmouth Road. There is a thread on SE23.life.
Pally

Post by Pally »

prince wrote:Hi since I contacted them yesterday the business owners have already contacted me back. It might go absolutely no where but they showed potential interest. "If you don't ask you don't get!"
And me. Asking if any particular premises in mind...suggestions?
topofthehill

Post by topofthehill »

Do hope they open in Sydenham, but they are opening as a pop up in Forest Hill every Friday and Saturday from 13 October to 16 December. Exact venue is still a secret, but seems it will be underground somewhere on Dartmouth Road.
RJM

Post by RJM »

Belatedly replying to this thread as it's had a mention elsewhere - I would love a cocktail bar in Sydenham. Would down near where the Poodle Club is opening be a good spot? I realise it's a bit further down the high street than might be ideal for some people. Or perhaps where Namaste used to be? I'm not very good at spotting good places, unlike others on this forum, otherwise I'd have weighed in sooner - which looks like lack of support when it's really just lack of ingenuity.
topofthehill

Post by topofthehill »

The venue for Little Nans pop up in Forest Hill is beneath the Stag and Bow on Dartmouth Road. There will also be a champagne and oyster bar in the shop I believe.