2017 Decent Christmas Decorations in High Street?

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
owlwise

2017 Decent Christmas Decorations in High Street?

Post by owlwise »

Can the local representatives of the council please ensure that Sydenham has decent lamppost/street decorations in the High Street this year? And a half decent, bushy, Christmas tree with proper colourful Christmas lights?

Is it too much to ask if we can possibly have a better looking town centre this Christmas than, say, Penge High Street?

Past decorations and tree have been SO embarrassing and un-festive and I often think Sydenham'S decorations are an after-thought. Why do us residents put up with this year after year????

Can anyone PLEASE make this happen this year? Again, PLEASE.

Thank you.
syd

Re: 2017 Decent Christmas Decorations in High Street?

Post by syd »

owlwise wrote:Can the local representatives of the council please ensure that Sydenham has decent lamppost/street decorations in the High Street this year? And a half decent, bushy, Christmas tree with proper colourful Christmas lights?

Is it too much to ask if we can possibly have a better looking town centre this Christmas than, say, Penge High Street?

Past decorations and tree have been SO embarrassing and un-festive and I often think Sydenham'S decorations are an after-thought. Why do us residents put up with this year after year????

Thank you.
Careful you'll be accused of talking Sydenham down!
conti16

Post by conti16 »

syd wrote:
owlwise wrote:Can the local representatives of the council please ensure that Sydenham has decent lamppost/street decorations in the High Street this year? And a half decent, bushy, Christmas tree with proper colourful Christmas lights?

Thank you.
Careful you'll be accused of talking Sydenham down!
Totally agree with you and feel the same frustration. Actually not every year we had a tree and the one we had were a shamble. Rather not have any at this point. I am not scared of voicing my opinion, it's a fact that Sydenham needs a real uplifting from the pavement with more tree that were promised when the " so called regeneration " happened. Shops beside a few one looks shabby, News agent selling phones is a disgrace and empty shops makes the high street really unpleasant too look. These are facts is not a moaning person talking. But why the Council start to fine those??? I think there is a real MAFIA going on and it makes me deeply said.
Bovine Juice

Post by Bovine Juice »

The decorations in Penge are maintained and put up by the Penge Traders. Funds are raised throughout the year through events, particularly the creation and selling of a calendar.
JayB

Post by JayB »

rod taylor wrote: conti16 wrote:
I am not scared of voicing my opinion

No one has ever had a go at you for voicing your opinion, conti16 - but you shouldn't slam other people for voicing theirs or suggesting they are Sydenham's problem when they disagree with you.
But Conti is making a wider point about a "Mafia" and many people agree with his sentiment if not the choice of words.. Many people i have spoken to have noticed, like me that a group of the same people close down discussions of suggestions of anything new, criticisms of the council and so on. There appears to many of us to be a self- appointed and cosy elite in Sydenham that consider themselves in a position to police other people's opinions and i do not just mean this forum. Q

Regarding this forum quite a few of the same men always seem to want the last word regardless of subject.Some of them wil lcompletely change the subject of a thread to close discussion down. As everything here is suposedly wonderful i can't wait for the post telling me how sensational last year's Christmas decorations were and that they were so much better than those in East Dulwich and Crystal Palace.Just like, apparently we have just as good if not better transport links than them as well! This is clearly nonsense by anyone's sytandards unless you happen to live at Sydenham station but it doesn't stop the same few people saying it ad nauseum.
owlwise

Post by owlwise »

Well said Jay B.

Whatever happened to SEE3? Do they not have any influence any more?
syd

Post by syd »

rod taylor wrote:
owlwise wrote:Well said Jay B
Pathetic. I’ve tried explaining it nicely but you guys are passing the brain cell around today. I’m not sure why I have to put up with the various slurs of racism, mafia-planning and urban destruction that get thrown at me but I can’t give any of it back.

There’s a stupidity in some of these posts that is breathtaking.
Well that escalated quickly!! Can I suggest we all take a deep breath and focus on the xmas decorations?
Pally

Post by Pally »

rod taylor wrote:
Pathetic. I’ve tried explaining it nicely but you guys are passing the brain cell around today. I’m not sure why I have to put up with the various slurs of racism, mafia-planning and urban destruction that get thrown at me but I can’t give any of it back.

Rod, I may be completely wrong here but I didn't read the "Mafia" comment as being directed at you. I think it was perhaps more aimed at some of the various "groups" operating in Sydenham and possibly Councillors - as this type of reference has been made previously on other threads about both.

I don't actually think that "Mafia" references are helpful - whoever it was aimed at - although I do understand some of the frustration from which it may be born!
Pally

Post by Pally »

Oh and I agree ...lets focus on the Xmas decorations!

With that in mind it is interesting to hear that Penge lights are coordinated by the traders association with fundraising throughout the year ...brings us back to the point about an active involvement of traders in planning and developments for an area! But it is too late for that now for Xmas 2017 and I am trying to work out if there is a quick solution to buck things up a bit but so far I've been brain dead!!!
Pally

Post by Pally »

rod taylor wrote:Deep Breath! Right...calm now. :D Sorry everyone! Christmas is around the corner!

Pally you're a sane voice.
:D :wink:
mosy

Post by mosy »

rod taylor wrote:Could we, the people, not be permitted to decorate our own high street at Christmas? It would instil a lovely, festive, community ethos.
I think I suggested something similar last year (or if I didn't I was thinking it), e.g. that if everyone brought a bauble or school children could make one something each and hang them in a ceremony then it would be appreciated as a community tree. A lot of people wanted a single-colour tasteful tree and I guess that's what we got, but not exactly one that was festooned with gaeity and cheeriness, so unfortunately my idea of a tree is a world apart from some others' views.

Ideas for lamppost wraps "by the people" are a bit trickier for me to envisage. I feel let down by my imagination failing me as to what would be plausible. Any ideas on what these might be?

I take the point re Penge that traders pay for theirs as this was the case somewhere else I used to live. There's nothing to stop our traders from offering themselves as collection points for baubles etc from "decoration crowd funders" though since many people chuck out last years' and replace them. I don't think it needs any monetary incentive, just a means of doing it for shopholders and citizens.
owlwise

Post by owlwise »

Rod, nothing was directed at you personally.

I was agreeing with the frustration that was vented.

Thank you Pally for bringing Xmas decorations subject back into focus.
conti16

Post by conti16 »

Just to clarify to all that the Mafia meaning referred to the authorities as ultimately they make the decision so who ever got offended please there is no need. This Forum is a place of discussion and exchanges of ideas.
Re the Xmas Tree is pure fact that every year ( I can only talk from 2009-16) I never seen a half decent tree decoration on the high street, fact not opinion or sentiment about SE26
I do firmly believe that the authority among perhaps the Sydenham Society ( I am no accusing here as I am not holding fact) they don't want the area to improve otherwise I can't explain why:
we have empty premises for a long time
we have many betting shop
we have many pound shops and charity one
we have many nails shops
we have a Romanian newsagent selling Romanian product while you can buy all in Lidle or PLC
we have newsagent selling phones
we hardly have no trees
we have benches that are good for skateboarding
Sydenham has better houses than Crystal Palace this is a fact
Sydenham is zone 3 better than be zone 4
Sydenham has the potential to be gem as in between all these lovely areas but is not and this is a fact
The economy is not great but investors are still investing in areas that they see potential and growth hence why crystal palace has 4 new shops of which one is a lovely independent coffea shop and Mrs Robbison same on Lord Ship Lane and Master Cut is about to open
The high street hasn't got many shops that people can use unless you want to do your nails or have a shave in your hair while placing a bet for a horse and eating fried chicken. I hope those people are keeping arguing about SE26 being just fine can see all this otherwise I am worried. We need more of On the Hoof, we need more Raffaele, we need more bakery shops, we need a decent hairdresser that is not only targeting Afro Hair or Barbers for me. I am a mid 30 years old girl who is from Europe has travelled and lived in several places in the world, in London I lived South West and East for the last 9 years, I believed in Sydenham when I moved from Forest Hill, I attended every SEE meeting at the Horniman and what was about the re -generation? A mosaic tiles on the Sydemham Centre and New tiles on the road??
Pally wrote:
rod taylor wrote:

Rod, I may be completely wrong here but I didn't read the "Mafia" comment as being directed at you. I think it was perhaps more aimed at some of the various "groups" operating in Sydenham and possibly Councillors - as this type of reference has been made previously on other threads about both.

I don't actually think that "Mafia" references are helpful - whoever it was aimed at - although I do understand some of the frustration from which it may be born!
Ghlpc

Post by Ghlpc »

conti16 it's clear you have have many frustrations about Sydenham and seem to care about it passionately..

However I think the 'tatty high street' thread is the place for this, otherwise all posts seem to get dragged into the same old discussion!!

just to add though I think our transport links are great and better than East Dulwich...

but back on topic - if someone or was organised enough and had to the time to set up something akin to the traders group in penge, I would happily contribute to Xmas decorations for the high street. ...
owlwise

Post by owlwise »

Maybe a job for SEE3. Do they still exist? Has all the money gone?
Pally

Post by Pally »

I don't think it exists any more - the last update on SEE3 WEBSITE was last December. I think the money has gone.
conti16

Post by conti16 »

Noted :-) and indeed I care very much about the place I lived now for over 8 years
Ghlpc wrote:conti16 it's clear you have have many frustrations about Sydenham and seem to care about it passionately..

However I think the 'tatty high street' thread is the place for this, otherwise all posts seem to get dragged into the same old discussion!!

just to add though I think our transport links are great and better than East Dulwich...

but back on topic - if someone or was organised enough and had to the time to set up something akin to the traders group in penge, I would happily contribute to Xmas decorations for the high street. ...
Chris Best

Post by Chris Best »

Just to share the situation regarding the Christmas decorations. Lewisham Council has a long term contact with Skanska for the street lighting that includes putting up Christmas lights. The contract does not provide for renewing the Christmas lights so any new lights will need to be paid for and the Sydenham Assembly Co-ordinator has obtained quotes of around £250 per frame.

At the moment we have the wrap around version of lights in Sydenham because the light bulbs are they less likely to blow with heavy rain.

Residents have tried to fundraise for a more elaborate set of lights to include Cobbs Corner. As a local Councillor I welcome any effort from residents to give time and money and work out how many lampposts should be decorated in our high street.

As it stands Angie has said she will source the Christmas tree that will be a minimum of 20 foot above ground. Tesco's are applying to Head Office for the funding. Skanska have given a standard price for putting up the Christmas trees across Lewisham in the available tree pits, dressing the Christmas trees with the existing Christmas lights, turning on the trees at a time the community wishes and then dismantling and filling the tree pits after Christmas. The cost of this comes out of the Sydenham Assembly Councillors Discretionary Fund.

At the Sydenham Assembly Coordinating Group yesterday the concensus was to ask Skanska for fuller wrap around silver lights and silver lights for the Christmas tree. There are some blue wrap around lights and in the past we have requested all blue lights for the high street and tree, The years when we have had asked for the frames a good number failed.

We also agreed to hold the lighting up of the Christmas Tree in the high street on Saturday 9 December as Sydenham library will be lighting up their tree on Saturday 2 December. We are putting out a call for any local musicians and singers to come along and join in the carols and festivities on both Saturdays.

There will be some entertainment before the tree lighting - details to follow. I am also asking for any listings for the SEE3 Christmas calendar as we will produce this again - deadline 30 October - plus we need some volunteers to update the SEE3 web site. Please get in touch if you are willing to help.
Pally

Post by Pally »

Thankyou for the update Chris. I would really like to help but just ay the moment I really cant commit to anything. I am hopeful that my circumstances will change soon.
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

Just throwing a few ideas out there:

Kids rides for Christmas event in pocket park:
https://www.poplarattractions.com/kids- ... -bus-ride/

Christmas Market hire:
http://www.chaletevents.net/uses/christmas-markets/

Skanska are responsible for Farnham's Christmas lights, but they still managed to do something special:
https://www.visitsurrey.com/whats-on/fa ... 7-p1498411

Santa grotto hire:
https://www.bubbles-crew.co.uk/grotto-hire/

Other ideas:
https://www.sunshineevents.co.uk/christmas-theme

What about a shop window display competition with prizes?:
http://www.fineart.co.uk/article/window ... d-993.aspx

I'm sure some locals would chip in or someone can organise a prize.

With a strong traders group, much is possible.

Ideas, vision, funding, collective effort.