Catford bridge

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
JayB

Catford bridge

Post by JayB »

OK so not quite Sydenham but nearer to those of us in Bell Green than many other parts of Sydenham and many of us travel through each day as we use the stations. Last night on my way home two guys were painting then stencilling the brick wall over the road bridge over the railway on the South Circular. The formerly tatty brick wall is now black with yellow greyhounds (or maybe cats!) as a motif .

An afternoon's work has left it looking so much smarter and cared for at minimum cost and it now looks as if maybe some one with some aesthetic sensibility lives there. Oh and it cheers me up. So, where would you decorate or put another mural in Sydenham? What would you choode to represent Sydenham? There is a big mural on a gable on Silverdale, beginning to fade but not sure if there are others. my starter for 10 is to paint something wonderful on the dreary and aestetically challenged grey breeze blocks of Sports Direct opposite Perry Rise. :roll:
Last edited by JayB on 11 Oct 2017 16:30, edited 1 time in total.
stuart

Re: Catford bridge

Post by stuart »

A photo would be good. Re: Sports Direct - something inspired by this?

broken_shaman

Post by broken_shaman »

stuart

Post by stuart »

That's fantastic. Any idea whether it was 'official' or not?
Not that it matters when the result is that good.

Stuart
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

Penge is full of street art, most of it's looks fab. It's even having tours of it with small groups of people to visit them on an art safari.

The Catford Bridge stencils look great.

If anyone wants to do anything like this, just do it. PLEASE!

Doing it through official channels or councils is incredibly difficult. We are designing a few murals and Ghost signs for local authorities in London and it can be a very lengthy, time consuming and frustrating process.

There is huge artistic talent in Sydenham. Go and paint!
KEVD

Post by KEVD »

Looks great.
syd

Post by syd »

leenewham wrote:Penge is full of street art, most of it's looks fab. It's even having tours of it with small groups of people to visit them on an art safari.

The Catford Bridge stencils look great.

If anyone wants to do anything like this, just do it. PLEASE!

Doing it through official channels or councils is incredibly difficult. We are designing a few murals and Ghost signs for local authorities in London and it can be a very lengthy, time consuming and frustrating process.

There is huge artistic talent in Sydenham. Go and paint!
I'm buying planters for my street and an oil drum for seasonal planting
alywin

Post by alywin »

leenewham wrote:Penge is full of street art, most of it's looks fab. It's even having tours of it with small groups of people to visit them on an art safari.
And I see the newsagents by the down platform at Penge East now has a cheery mural on its shutter.
alywin

Post by alywin »

You missed out on the butterflies on the other part of the bridge :) - out of sight in the photo
allisonPA

Post by allisonPA »

It's all official. My mate Andy is the artist (he is a resident artist in my offices over at Bow Arts in the Old Town Hall in Lewisham). Looks fabulous, doesn't it!
The Clown

Post by The Clown »

We would love greyhounds in Sydenham too...... pretty please.... :D ?
syd

Post by syd »

The Clown wrote:We would love greyhounds in Sydenham too...... pretty please.... :D ?
Wouldn't it be great if the Sydenham society could get involved. They seem to hold a lot of influence
syd

Post by syd »

As I'm a dreamer I've contacted this Artist Zabou

http://globalstreetart.com/walls
JayB

Post by JayB »

Great. But where to paint, and what? Greyhounds obviously represent Catford's history but what represents us? Please don't say gas cylinders. Any where in Bell Green would be a bonus!
maestro

Post by maestro »

No thanks, he'll be back to his old trick of enticing kids to come and rummage for sweeties he claims he has in his trouser pocket which in fact has nothing but a large hole in it, and then asking them "Can you tell what it is yet?".