Billings Christmas food

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
Nigel

Billings Christmas food

Post by Nigel »

Anyone who knows me would agree that ,at best , I would register medium-gloomy on any jolliness scale - Christmas time being no different . I do however perk up at the thought of nice food .

Yesterday in Billings I bought a huge lump of Classic Pork sausage meat - i.e. the precious essence of the sausage itself . I explained to Caroline , who humoured me patiently , that I would over Christmas make either one really huge sausage roll, or, as many tiny ones as is possible - and of course , eat them .

One thing lead to another and we then signed up for a turkey crown and made a sincere verbal commitment to a whole gammon - the minimum order is a 1KG but frankly ham minima hardly apply to me as a fan of Billings ham-especially in my Homer Simpson moments .
Mrs Nigel , who is more health conscious , was eyeing up salmon for the big day and some of those tiny anchovies that seem to shoal in neat radial patterns in the box . All in all everything looked wonderful , especially the sausages, which had been topped up and joined by the Christmas Sausage , which I will be enjoying this evening with Mrs Nigel's celeriac and swede gratin.
I still remember the days when we would shuffle down to East Dulwich to queue up with annoying yummy mummies and beardy blokes with toddler scooters , but no more - I am probably pushing on an open door here but I still fully appreciate having a proper butcher shop with proper butchers who don't mind me ogling the ham for an hour or so .

In lieu of a Christmas card I would like to thank Amo and the team at Billings for really good meat and fish , good advice and friendly service all year round.

A very good evening
Nigel
Pally

Re: Billings Christmas food

Post by Pally »

Certainly agree about Billings. Brilliant fishmongers and butchers!
RJM

Post by RJM »

Well, now I want a sausage roll.

Billings is great, we've ordered our turkey from them for Christmas! I'm still guilty of going to the supermarket for meat (sadly we don't always get back in time to get to smaller shops) but it's noticeable how much better quality stuff from Billings is when we do get home in enough time to go. We try to use them as much as we can - a good butcher is such a benefit to the area!
Parker1970

Post by Parker1970 »

When I moved from Bethnal Green the one thing I thought I would miss, was my butcher on Bethnal Green road. I was so happy to find Sydenham had a genuine butcher and now every year for four years that I have lived here I always get my meat there and my mother who does not have a local butcher always gets me to order and collect the boxing day Rib of Beef on the bone. I got her one on my first year in sydenham and now my mother will accept no subsitute. In fact I think if I ever move away from Sydenham she will disown me if I dont go to Billings from wherever I live just to get her Rib of Beef.

Added to their great quality though is the very friendly staff there.

(No, I am not on commission for this post :D )
prince

Post by prince »

First Christmas at home in sydenham this year. Two turkey crowns ordered from Billings. One to be enjoyed tonight with friends and lots of wine , the other on Christmas Day again with lots of wine. The quality of meat and fish is fantastic and I agree we are truly lucky to have such a great independent business on our high street.
Sydenham Syd

Post by Sydenham Syd »

Been a fan since day one, and also used to buy from Hugh when he was down at the bottom of the high street - great shop. They seem to thrive. I definitely spend more cash in there than I need to. Eggs are wonderful, and they have a really good selection of cheese. Fish is always beautifully presented and they are all a pleasure to deal with.
amob

Post by amob »

Hello Everyone,

Thank you all for your kind words, I appreciate it!

All the best,
Amar.