Poodle club

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
Mattyroon

Re: Poodle club

Post by Mattyroon »

Well said Columbus. Why people need to drag up the past with perceived grievances rather than celebrate a rare new business in sydenham is rather sad.

I’m dreaming of the night I start off with a cheeky Nando’s, a pint at the greyhound then off for some comedy at the poodle club! Only if the fun police will allow though....
Miss0

Post by Miss0 »

rod taylor wrote:
Miss0 wrote:Hi Rod Taylor, we were made aware of a group of people interested in taking over the lease, but not for an orphanage, library, or food bank. As far as we knew, It was just an entitled hipsters' boozer. We thought our neighbours might rather have diverse entertainment at the weekends.
Had you been there? Did you know it was an entitled hipsters boozer? There were several empty leases on Sydenham Road - why make an improved offer on one you knew was a community development?
We had been in several times, as it was on our doorstep. Unfortunately, the awful overhead lighting and ghastly wine selection meant that it wasn't our favourite venue, but we did go in on occasion a few times before we owned it. Our offer was not 'improved', we merely offered the asking rate for the property, the same rate Beer Rebellion were paying. We just made it better.

Is your 'community development' plan actively pursuing the jerk chicken shop? They've got a late licence already so it would seem an easy win for your community spirit.
Miss0

Post by Miss0 »

Hi Dom, we have a show that night but will try to pop round for an early beer. Your support is most appreciated. Cheers!
Larky

Post by Larky »

Here we go again !

Welcome Poodle Club, we look forward to coming along one night xxx
JMLF

Post by JMLF »

Just wanted to chime in an echo all the positive comments and congratulate you on a hard worked dream/opening!

From the off, before opening, Im pretty sure the website states it’s intent for family/child friendly activities and for it to also be a space available for rental. I suspect as many do that if they believe it profitable and worthwhile for them to open it as a bar in the week or for other activity/events as it still appears to be doing so.

El Cid - to add to your list:
I think Harbour does decent fish n chips (though Kirkdale is still our fave but further from us now we moved!)
I’ve been recommended Selim for kebabs
Both pubs do have decent fayre
Gurkhas is tasty as always
A long time back I had a (vegan) meal at calabash of culture which was delicious
Not sure if still going as not been for a good while but the jerk centre’s chicken and pork was ace
The Clown

Post by The Clown »

Had a brilliant time at Poodle Club with friends on 30th and all 4 of us said that we would definitely go back.
Thank you for bringing laughter to a very cold winter season.
I’d love to support beer rebellion too. I’ve only recently started drinking beer again; but I’m now on a dry January, so no rush!

Business struggles are emotive and it’s fifficult when deals are lost and won.
Im sure fate will dictate a positive future for both.
It would actually suit me better if beer rebellion could come a little closer to the station

I’m looking forward to seeing what can be achieved with us all working together to create a thriving community, despite the challenging landscape.
Landlords need to do their bit in rents and gov. on business rates and Entrepeneurial taxes.
Bovine Juice

Post by Bovine Juice »

I live just, and I mean just - literally a road, over the border in Penge. I liked the Beer Rebellion and was an occasional visitor. Since it shut down I have rarely thought about heading off to Sydenham as its offering are tired compared to Penge (Alex, Southey Taproom, Goldsmiths, Bridge House, Moon & Stars) but the arrival of the Poodle Club has definitely alerted me for a revisit. I am a regular at the Beckenham Comedy Club (customer not performer) and really like the idea of a different offering within walking distance. Good luck Podle Club!
alowersyd

Post by alowersyd »

Miss0 - before you entertain certain posters with responses, might be worth clocking their post counts (especially if they run into thousands). Unfortunately some people thrive off attention seeking to the cost of others. Don't waste your energy.

Poodle Club is a great diverse addition to this part of London and opposite a gallery - what a nice little cultural cluster we have growing here! Makes me proud to be a part of Sydenham.
Pally

Post by Pally »

rod taylor wrote:
Miss0 wrote: 1.We live nearby and noticed that BR had shut.
2.We found the owner through the BR website.
3.We offered him the asking price for his lease.
Did you know at any stage that there was a community interest group trying to lease the premises?
Even if they did Rod, so what? In the end, they negotiated and got it, the community interest group didn't! Basically that's just tough, isn't it?

Haven't been top the Poodle Club but have heard some good things about it! Certainly something a bit different for Sydenham
KEVD

Post by KEVD »

Well done for all your hard efforts in setting up your new business. A few friends have visited and have been impressed with the Poodle club. I will make sure i visit soon.

All the best for the future.
Sydenham

Post by Sydenham »

Spent another evening last night at the Poodle Club - a lot of fun and laughter generated by the 4 comedians plus mc who entertained us - enjoyed the post show drinks and dancing time - a good wind down.

A local real live alternative to watching 'Live at the Apollo'.
Newtosydenham

Post by Newtosydenham »

I honestly cannot believe the grief that The Poodle Club have received on this forum. As my mother always said, if you don't have anything nice to say then don't say it at all. It has made me, and I'm sure others, scared to post in case I say or do the wrong thing and am subject to this trolling! It needs to stop!

I for one am very excited to be vising the Poodle Club for the first time on Friday!
Pally

Post by Pally »

Newtosydenham wrote:I honestly cannot believe the grief that The Poodle Club have received on this forum. As my mother always said, if you don't have anything nice to say then don't say it at all. It has made me, and I'm sure others, scared to post in case I say or do the wrong thing and am subject to this trolling! It needs to stop!

I for one am very excited to be vising the Poodle Club for the first time on Friday!
Don't be put off...! At least the negative on this thread has been picked up and queried by others, and also balanced by lots of positives.
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

I agree, top post Miss0. The best of luck to you.
buzzbee

Post by buzzbee »

I think the Poodle Club is bloody brilliant! I've been 3 times so far and will continue to go. I bet those griping haven't even been (although I'm sure you'd be welcomed very warmly by Karen and her hubby). Last Friday's show was excellent - please people of Sydenham: help keep this place stay open!!
JMLF

Post by JMLF »

Did have tickets for the opening night but unfortunately was unable to make it but just got tickets for next Saturdays “magic and mayhem” show. Can’t wait.

Gurkhas before hand to boot.

What a cracking looking night out on our doorstep :)

Congratulations again to The Poodle Club for the hard work, time and money to open a different type of social/community based venue in Syd!
sparticus

Post by sparticus »

I too have had a great couple of evenings at the Poodle Club- including last Friday which was rounded off by bopping to one of the best dance playlists I've ever heard. I was also a regular at Beer Rebellion which I loved, and attended most of the meetings about a community takeover. I am not an "entitled hipster" - just someone who likes good beer and good conversation in a proper drinking environment. For what it's worth, I'm not at all surprised that the landlord chose to go with the Poodle Club offer. The alternative didn't really get its act together and I'm sure that a properly-worked up business plan and rent guarantees won out- why shouldn't they? If there had been real momentum behind the community bid then why didn't it go on to try and develop the idea in alternative premises, as Karen has pointed out?

Ive been a great fan of the micro-pub concept ever since visiting the original one started by Martyn Hillier in Herne.
A micropub according to the Micropub Association is defined as follows: "A micropub is a small freehouse which listens to its customers, mainly serves cask ales, promotes conversation, shuns all forms of electronic entertainment and dabbles in traditional pub snacks". That's the purist's version. I don't really know why micro-pubs haven't taken off in London in the same way as they have in east Kent and northern England. I guess it has a lot to do with the higher rent and business rates in London which makes the concept unviable. There are some encouraging signs- locally we have the excellent Southey Street Brewery tap and there are a few similar further afield like the estimable Redchurch Brewery in Bethney Green (which really is full of hipsters- last time I was there 29 of the 31 men in the bar had beards and checked shirts)

The manager of the Southey Street brewery told me recently they were aware of a gap in the market in Sydenham and we're looking at possibilities, and the opening of the Greyhound, when it does eventually happen, both give some cause for optimism. The Poodle Club and a really good boozer, then our great high street would be complete!
Timbo79

Post by Timbo79 »

I agree, the poodle club is great. Beer rebellion was good but was struggling to be a viable business. Can't believe the level of griping about the poodle club and what seems to be some fairly misinformed opinions about underhand tactics. Let's just let it go and support the brilliant new addition to Sydenham's night time economy.

I'm also pleased to hear Southey are aware of the lack of decent craft beer pubs in Sydenham and hope that they will plug that gap, and along with the Greyhound give us beer lovers some actual choice!
stuart

Post by stuart »

Timbo79 wrote:Can't believe the level of griping about the poodle club and what seems to be some fairly misinformed opinions about underhand tactics.
Ooh - its all worth all that just to be called 'an entitled hipster'. Boy that's going to take some living upto. I shall try. And as it is fast approaching pint o'clock Friday i'll better get started ...

Have a great weekend everybody.

Stuart
Sydenhamresident

Post by Sydenhamresident »

Thanks so much, Poodle Club, for an awesome night tonight. You've created a genuinely brilliant venue, and we loved popping our Poodle cherry. Will absolutely be back again soon. Well done for blazing a trail that hopefully other interesting ventures will follow. Top work.