Lower Sydenham/New Beckenham/Bromley Quietways

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
stuart

Lower Sydenham/New Beckenham/Bromley Quietways

Post by stuart »

For those walkers and cyclists wanting a quiet route - Bromley have opened up consultations on two routes:
  1. The Lower Sydenham to Bromley Quietway will upgrade the section of the existing London Cycle Network route 27 between New Beckenham and Bromley town centre.
  • The Greenwich to Kent House route will upgrade a section of the of the existing National Cycle Network Route 21.
Maps & stuff plus how to respond here: http://www.bromley.gov.uk/quietways

Stuart
Pally

Re: Lower Sydenham/New Beckenham/Bromley Quietways

Post by Pally »

Done! Thanks Stuart
brencud

Re: Lower Sydenham/New Beckenham/Bromley Quietways

Post by brencud »

I hope people are responding to let Bromley Council know that this is far from good enough. It really is a terrible scheme, a complete waste of taxpayers’ money. It’s so bad I don’t know where to begin. If you want more people to cycle, you have to make it safe, easy and convenient. There’s a simple test for safety - would you be happy with your 8 year old child or your 80 year old grandparent cycling down there? I think that’s a clear no for much of this route.

For easy, just look at how you have to give way to vehicles using private accesses on Worsley Bridge Road.

As for convenient it’s almost half a mile longer then the driving route suggested by google.

My favourite though is the Ridley Road path, where I don’t think two bikes could even pass each other!

Bromley Council have just shoved cycling onto pavements and back roads, so the can say they’re doing something good while really they’re not.