sticky:Mural?

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham

Moderator: frenzarin

Re: sticky:Mural?

Postby Tim Lund » 14 Jun 2018 12:59

The most obviously constructive thing to do I'd say is sit down with St Philip Neri School and come up with some agreed designs for art work on their new building
Tim Lund

Postby JRW » 14 Jun 2018 13:04

Ridiculous, Tim. Please read through the planning documents, and then you can argue your view that it's a reasonable compromise......
JRW

Postby Pally » 14 Jun 2018 20:15

JRW wrote:For heaven's sake Tim. This is not a conspiracy. I am local, and want to do something myself. I am willing to do the necessary work, so i asked to involve the Syd Soc, as they exist, have excellent connections, the ability to circulate a large proportion of the community on social media,, and are generally useful. I tried contributing to the previous attempt to plan a mural, and was told to go and start my own project. So I am.

If you are just wanting to encourage a toxic atmosphere on the forum, congrats on your success. By spinning my personal initiative into your theme of the Syd Soc as dark overlord, you have done your best to put me off. Not going to happen.

I don't think Tim's comments suggested any conspiracy!!
Pally

Postby poppy » 29 Jun 2018 10:11

I don't have time to read through this entire thread but would be happy to join a group which helped support efforts like this...
poppy

Postby JGD » 13 Aug 2018 11:18

On a stroll between The Greyhound and Ghurkas last night, spotted what looked like a re-freshed and very large tag on the Property World Gable.

Am I wrong about it being fresh or has it been there for some time ?

Still hold to the view that this gable is the best suited location for the Sydenham Mural.

Do the owners/proprietors of Property World have a presence here - and if so are you willing to let us know your views ?
JGD

Postby The Clown » 30 Oct 2018 10:46

I noticed shorthands now have the banner / typeface underneath their railway bridge. We are lagging behind and just need that flat wall
The Clown

Postby JRW » 30 Oct 2018 11:02

Given that this huge new tag on the Property World building has appeared, why don't we combine and insist that this is the best, most visible, and most iconic site for the Network Rail mural. If we say that's where we want it, let Network Rail explain if it is impossible.

I know that they don't own the wall, but I don't think that Property World will be happy with the graffiti, which has been enabled by poor security and maintenance to trackside around Sydenham station. Perhaps they could be approached about this? It would be good for Property World to have it mark their building, it could be HUGE, yet not overbearing at pavement level, and really become a local icon. Network Rail need to sort out their maintenance in Sydenham, and they are the ones who have the ability to arrange scaffolding on trackside and bridge. If they don't do it, no-one else will.
JRW

Postby TredownMan » 1 Nov 2018 02:59

Would it need planning permission, given the Conservation Area?

I’d be strongly in favour — but based on recent experience some neighbours might say it’s “incongruous overdevelopment”, “out of keeping”, “overshadowing” or - worst of all - “detrimental to the visual amenity.”
TredownMan

Previous

Return to Town Hall