Mural?

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
Tim Lund

Re: sticky:Mural?

Post by Tim Lund »

The most obviously constructive thing to do I'd say is sit down with St Philip Neri School and come up with some agreed designs for art work on their new building
JRW

Post by JRW »

Ridiculous, Tim. Please read through the planning documents, and then you can argue your view that it's a reasonable compromise......
Pally

Post by Pally »

JRW wrote:For heaven's sake Tim. This is not a conspiracy. I am local, and want to do something myself. I am willing to do the necessary work, so i asked to involve the Syd Soc, as they exist, have excellent connections, the ability to circulate a large proportion of the community on social media,, and are generally useful. I tried contributing to the previous attempt to plan a mural, and was told to go and start my own project. So I am.

If you are just wanting to encourage a toxic atmosphere on the forum, congrats on your success. By spinning my personal initiative into your theme of the Syd Soc as dark overlord, you have done your best to put me off. Not going to happen.
I don't think Tim's comments suggested any conspiracy!!
poppy

Post by poppy »

I don't have time to read through this entire thread but would be happy to join a group which helped support efforts like this...
JGD
Location: Perry Hill, SE6 (free-transferred to Perry Vale Ward, next to Bell Green; distinct from Sydenham).

Post by JGD »

On a stroll between The Greyhound and Ghurkas last night, spotted what looked like a re-freshed and very large tag on the Property World Gable.

Am I wrong about it being fresh or has it been there for some time ?

Still hold to the view that this gable is the best suited location for the Sydenham Mural.

Do the owners/proprietors of Property World have a presence here - and if so are you willing to let us know your views ?
The Clown

Post by The Clown »

I noticed shorthands now have the banner / typeface underneath their railway bridge. We are lagging behind and just need that flat wall
JRW

Post by JRW »

Given that this huge new tag on the Property World building has appeared, why don't we combine and insist that this is the best, most visible, and most iconic site for the Network Rail mural. If we say that's where we want it, let Network Rail explain if it is impossible.

I know that they don't own the wall, but I don't think that Property World will be happy with the graffiti, which has been enabled by poor security and maintenance to trackside around Sydenham station. Perhaps they could be approached about this? It would be good for Property World to have it mark their building, it could be HUGE, yet not overbearing at pavement level, and really become a local icon. Network Rail need to sort out their maintenance in Sydenham, and they are the ones who have the ability to arrange scaffolding on trackside and bridge. If they don't do it, no-one else will.
TredownMan

Post by TredownMan »

Would it need planning permission, given the Conservation Area?

I’d be strongly in favour — but based on recent experience some neighbours might say it’s “incongruous overdevelopment”, “out of keeping”, “overshadowing” or - worst of all - “detrimental to the visual amenity.”
KEVD

Post by KEVD »

Should this still be sticky?
JRW

Post by JRW »

I asked that months ago......
JMLF

Re: Mural?

Post by JMLF »

Yep let’s get this taken off sticky please admin!

This last post (which I’ll post seperately as well) is a little info/contact if anyone has a wall to “donate” to artwork organised by the fabulous LDNcalling and some links to their ongoing work- see below:

If anyone is interested in donating a public space big or small, business or residential, to be painted and they own it or have permission from the landlord they can email us at calinglondoninfo@gmail.com or message us on Instagram @LDN_Calling_Blog and we can discuss what is possible.

Below is a link to our blog which shows a selection of the 400 or so artworks we have organized around London over the last 3 years:
https://londoncallingblog.net/about/

Below is a link specifically of all the artworks we have organised around Penge in the last 3 years.
https://londoncallingblog.net/sprayexhibition20/
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

This is no longer a Sticky, as people have sensibly suggested.

admin
Nic

Post by Nic »

I heard tonight that the bridge by the station is now getting a Sydenham mural, all confirmed and happening soon as I understand it
JGD
Location: Perry Hill, SE6 (free-transferred to Perry Vale Ward, next to Bell Green; distinct from Sydenham).

Post by JGD »

Interesting.

Is there SydSoc involvement ? Any consultation on style or precise location ?

'Tis my recall that it was held that the JMLF led proposal from two or so years ago would not proceed until SydSoc supported it and SydSoc could not support it whilst their attention and resource was focusseed on Bell Green and some reputationally ruinous iron structures there.

With the Bell Green matter, as defined then, concluded and some measure of uncertainty having arisen about a subsequent SydSoc defined plan, has the mural regained some focus as the next best thing ?

SydSoc also favoured a mural on the large retaining wall opposite the down platform inside the station - not too visible to through vehicular traffic and pedestrians perhaps - has that location also been discarded as an option ?

At least one of the sites scrutinised two years ago now has a highly visual and colourful large video screen advertisement hoarding. Very prominent too.

JMLF had also expended huge effort in laying the groundwork for a fund-raising campaign and there had been opportunities to potentiaily secure Network Rail funding for local artwork. It had to be on their property of course.

Any news on how this proposal might be funded ? And selection of an artist of course ?

Of course, it deserves a huge measure of good luck and public support.
Nic

Post by Nic »

Network Rail is paying for it and I *think* SydSoc is behind it. I've been told that the design was supposed to be shared online somewhere for feedback, but I'm not sure where that is. Just had a quick look on SydSoc Facebook page and website but couldn't see anything there. The mural will be on the actual bridge facing the road, Lionel (Stanhope) has been commissioned to do it, it's "Sydenham" lettering - he can't do his "usual" rail sign because of the shape/design of the wall, but the lettering itself will be in his traditional style. Apparently they've gone for quite conservative colours (greens).
JGD

Post by JGD »

Nic wrote: 13 Mar 2020 08:10 ..... I *think* SydSoc is behind it. I've been told that the design was supposed to be shared online somewhere for feedback, but I'm not sure where that is. Just had a quick look on SydSoc Facebook page and website but couldn't see anything there.
SydSoc ? Are you sure ?

So unlike this community amenity society not to consult with the community to which it attaches itself. The SydSoc website has little update information dated after approximately Oct 2019 present and the Winter 2019 edition of the Newsletter has only one reference to a mural - and that is associated with a garden project.

It is assumed then, that those in the know will let us know when they feel we should know.

Perhaps at a grand unveiling ceremony when @Lionel has completed his appointed commission.

As to siting choice, the bridge locus described was the least favoured position through several stages of discussion, last time round. The brickwork inset panels always were an issue thought detrimental to presentation of any seamless image that was to be painted and sight-lines and visibility to traffic was considered very poor - for both vehicles and pedestrians.

For the group working on it and selected above others, the Property World gable always looked the prime site. Prominently visible to everyone who approached from Cobb's Corner. Due to uncertainties at the time about the views of property owners, it was not put up for public consideration as part of that consultation process.

However when that gable got "tagged" big-time, heightened support and commentary grew with some, including JRW, going public with their support for its choice.

For this proposal, if Network Rail is funding the commission - hardly see them readily providing consent for painting a mural on property they do not own. But then they may be receptive to a commentary that highlights its immediate proximity to the station and that it effectively overlooks their property and that any mural has a "greater good to the community" element to be factored in. Worth testing those waters perhaps.

Anyone able to confirm SydSoc's posture on this - corrobatory or otherwise ? is there any possibility Network Rail have commissioned the work unilaterally and without consultation ?

Does anyone feel they have missed out in this revived process ?
Nic

Post by Nic »

JGD wrote: 13 Mar 2020 10:19
SydSoc ? Are you sure ?
I *think* but I'm not sure. Quite possible that it could just be Network Rail. He's not involved as I understand it, but @JMLF may have more info?
owlwise

Post by owlwise »

Why is everything that we want to get done in Sydenham have to be so complicated that it never gets done?

Why do other places like Penge and Forest Hill, Crofton Park and Brockley manage to get things done?

Who is it or what is it that always sabotages things and/or make it take so longer or stops it from happening in Sydenham?

Things need to change. Sydenham is looking shabby compared to these other locations and this needs to be addressed seriously.
Bovine Juice

Post by Bovine Juice »

I can't comment on Sydenham but the street art in Penge has been co-ordinated by a single individual who lives locally - Steve of London Calling blog. His efforts have been widely supported by the local community and he has effectively quality controlled the work that is everywhere with both artists from all over the world and SE20 site owners queueing up to take part.
f4monty

Post by f4monty »

In Sydenham everyone feels they have to have a say in everything, and if they don’t get it they see conspiracy everywhere. It’s a bit sad really. I mean, we’re talking a mural here not the future of local housing services