Litter on the streets of Sydenham

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
Newtosydenham

Litter on the streets of Sydenham

Post by Newtosydenham »

Hi all,

There is one thing that I can’t help but notice and am finding rather frustrating and upsetting and that is the vast amounts of litter on the streets. Having lived in Camberwell and Peckham for my whole life until 6 months ago, it has struck me how much worse the problem is here.

From general day-to-day rubbish to larger “fly-tipped” items, it’s everywhere! It is not only making our streets look untidy but it is having a wider negative impact on the environment. Does anyone else notice this?

I know that fly tipping can be reported on line however I feel that something should be done to prevent littering/ rubbish dumping in the first place, rather than just having it cleared up afterwards.

Perhaps more bins on the street and spreading the word about the wider impact dropping your litter on the street can have?

If anyone knows who I can report this issue to at the council/ how to go about doing something about it I would be most grateful. I would love to do something about this but other than picking it up when I see it, I don’t know what to do!

Many thanks
Sydenham

Re: Litter on the streets of Sydenham

Post by Sydenham »

Use https://www.fixmystreet.com/ there's n app for this as well - useful on phone

Sydenham street cleaners are usually pretty good in my experience. Big contrast if you cross the boundary into Bromley - seems a lot worse there. I'm thinking of the Penge side.

So it depends on exactly where you live. Could you be under Bromley's street cleaning regime? Not likely I know.

But fixmystreet reporting usually works - council come and clear things pretty quickly.
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

I'd say it's the opposite!

Various people have reported issues like litter and weeds to fixmystreet numerous times over the past 6+ months and Lewisham still haven't fixed it! I find the streets in Bromley far, far cleaner than Lewisham, although Penge has some issues which aren't just down the the council, the rest of the borough is pretty good.
Newtosydenham

Post by Newtosydenham »

Hi, thanks for the tip.

I’ve used fixmystreet before to report large items that have been fly tipped but I’m not sure how it would work with general litter.
My point is that is seems to be a larger issue all over Sydenham (or at least the high street and lower end). We/ the council need to be encouraging people not to drop litter as reporting it to the council each time it happens doesn’t seem to resolve the issue long term. Perhaps that’s more dustbins, perhaps it’s fines for littering. Perhaps I need to organise a litter pick up day! I don’t know!

I believe it comes down to having respect for the area you live in and the general world around you. It’s something I feel passionately about, I just wish I knew how to resolve it.
Mayowthorpe

Post by Mayowthorpe »

Newtosydenham wrote:Hi, thanks for the tip.

I’ve used fixmystreet before to report large items that have been fly tipped but I’m not sure how it would work with general litter.
My point is that is seems to be a larger issue all over Sydenham (or at least the high street and lower end). We/ the council need to be encouraging people not to drop litter as reporting it to the council each time it happens doesn’t seem to resolve the issue long term. Perhaps that’s more dustbins, perhaps it’s fines for littering. Perhaps I need to organise a litter pick up day! I don’t know!

I believe it comes down to having respect for the area you live in and the general world around you. It’s something I feel passionately about, I just wish I knew how to resolve it.
Id say its the opposite. The street cleaners here do an amazing job, and (wind aside) the streets are usually in pretty decent condition where I live.

I lived in East Dulwich for 4 years (pardon my French) and it was far worse there. A lot more dog poo and litter.
Newtosydenham

Post by Newtosydenham »

Obviously it will differ from area to area but I am just looking for some help/ advice on how to improve in areas where it is an issue.
Sydenhamresident

Post by Sydenhamresident »

I have felt inspired by this post to join the forum. Thank you so much Newtosydenham for raising an issue that has been making me seriously regret my decision to move to the area. I have lived in Battersea, Fulham and Peckham previously, but never before has fly tipping been an issue. I've been astonished here by the frequency with which it occurs. At least once a week, large amounts of rubbish are left on the pavement near my house, and every day litter is visible.

I've reported this on Fix My Street several times, and although the larger items have been collected, at no point since moving here would I describe my street as having been 'litter free'.

However, as I believe the original post was pointing out, the fact that a service exists for us to report fly tipping isn't really the point. The problem here seems to be that there isn't a sufficient level of respect/pride in the area, and therefore people have no qualms about leaving things for 'someone else' to sort out. It's thoroughly depressing to witness.

I'm absolutely in support of any venture people can think of to help change attitudes and build pride. I have no doubt that Sydenham has fantastic potential, but I really do feel some proactive steps are required to realise it. Short of putting up signs and knocking on doors, however, I'm afraid I'm at a loss as to how to achieve this. All suggestions beyond this are welcomed; I'll be an enthusiastic participant.
syd-gal

Post by syd-gal »

I think one problem is now the household bins are emptied less frequently, so they tend to get full and then overflow, bags tear or are ripped by animals, and rubbish gets strewn. That is in addition to litter dropped by people.

The other thing, unrelated to streets, is the amount of rubbish being left on buses now. Especially food wrappers and containers. It seems to be the norm for some people to eat hot food on buses then leave all their rubbish.
I don't know what is worse, leaving their food wrappers on buses or dumping it on the streets!
OnCrestOfHill

Post by OnCrestOfHill »

The whole litter question bothers me too, however green-ink-brigadey the issue feels.

Some of my neighbours have been quietly taking matters into their own hands and their efforts do make a real difference but the volume of litter seems over-whelming.

There have also been some volunteer litter-picking days around our bits of woodland organised by London Wildlife Trust, and some areas are much better. The nostalgia value of some of what you find suggests this is after years of neglect.

The street cleaners seem to work really hard and cheerfully, but there do seem to be areas beyond their reach, areas where there aren't enough bins - and there are spots where rubbish piled beside bins just seems to stay - as well as people who think littering or large scale fly tipping is normal.

Don't know what we can do to change the culture, but perhaps there's some way those of us who get bothered by this stuff can take practical steps to improve things? Going out alone to pick litter off the streets feels a bit weird to me - I find it easier in a group.

Maybe if the streets were tidy, people wouldn't see it as so normal to jettison the waste they don't want in their personal space eg their car) out into the public realm.
JayB

Post by JayB »

The copious amounts of litter here in parts of sydenham are the worst I have seen in London too. All my neighbours agree and visitors comment- it goes on their list of why they would not want to live in Sydenham. But I don't actually care whether it is better or worse in East Dulwich( which appearently also has worse public transport????). Irrelevant. Either there is litter in Sydenham or there is not litter in Sydenham- and there is too much litter in Sydenham. Neither is it relevant how hard the street cleaners work- and yes they do work hard- that is like saying A and E services are great because the nurses and doctors work hard.

So, in terms of what to do, commercial premises have to play their part.Street bins need to be animal proof and fly tipping needs ot be clamped down on before we become a centre for it. On Perry Rise we have fly tipping each week at the corners of the side roads.At one point this included two dumped cars. The lower end of Sydenham Road and Bell Green are a disgrace. Yes the council come and clean it up quickly at our expense-- just to be ready for the next lot. What we need is CCTV and some prosecutions.It is right to say the practice of decanting bins into each other as they are emptied makes matters a lot worse; it was blowing everywhere this week, including under cars where the street cleaners can't reach.

Well done for raising this important issue Newtosydenham. I guess you were expecting just to get support and helpful ways forward on here but you will soon find on this forum what ever the issue some people will be quick to tell you there is no issue at all ( look for the words "in my opinion" but don't expect facts!.They are not indicative of most people who live here so don't be put off. Anyone would think they were estate agents or buy to let landords......
Sydenham

Post by Sydenham »

Simple really - make littering as much a social 'no no' as drink/drug driving is now.

But it won't happen overnight and will take lots of effort from all - individuals, families, communities, retailers, manufacturers society and the state - we all have to play a part. But as with changing attitudes to drink driving unless the state leads the way and sets an example then it won't happen.

More recent example of changing entrenched attitudes was the campaign to encourage safe sex - use of condoms etc. as a response to the HIV / AIDS epidemic of the early 1980s. It can be done but needs more than a little weekend litter pick-up session.

Link it to green / sustainable / environmental concerns - we need to worry about plastics in the high street as much as the Pacific Ocean (or River Pool / Ravensbourne).
OnCrestOfHill

Post by OnCrestOfHill »

Looks like Keep Britain Tidy are still running and have plans for a national March 2018 event different communities can join in with. Also some education resources. http://www.keepbritaintidy.org/home
Newtosydenham

Post by Newtosydenham »

OnCrestOfHill, Sydenham and JayB- Thank you for your messages. It is nice to have some support for what is truly an important issue. :D I have to admit, I was a little scared to post on this forum having seen some previous threads!

I have been on the KeepbritainTidy Website (thank you OnCrestHill!), and would suggest we pull together as a community and take part in the Great British Spring Clean. If I get us set up and registered (Team name suggestions welcome!) do you think there would be much support? It would take place between 2nd- 4th March- Description below;

2 - 4 March 2018

The Great British Spring Clean is a campaign with a simple aim: to bring people across the country together to clear up the litter that blights our towns, villages, countryside and beaches.

We want to inspire 500,000 people to get outdoors, get active and help clear up the rubbish that lies around us. Join our growing army of #LitterHeroes who have had enough of other people’s litter and are willing to do something about it.

Together we can make a difference and clean up the environment on our doorstep.

I am happy to purchase the black sacks and rubber gloves for all!

Let me know your thoughts and I will get us set up and we can start to spread the word!

Thanks again for giving my spirits a lift!
Newtosydenham

Post by Newtosydenham »

Apologies- thank you Sydenhamresident for your support too! :D
Timbo79

Post by Timbo79 »

Sounds like i great idea. Would like to get involved if we can bring our toddler along too
JMLF

Post by JMLF »

Will be there to get the gloves on all being well! :)

Some great positive reactions and forward movement on some posts recently!

Lovely stuff

Ps: make sure you get some donations if suddenly you need to buy hundreds of gloves and bags!!!
Sydenhamresident

I'm definitely keen. Great work all! Let's just make sure that if we do it, it's not just a one-off handful of people picking up discarded chairs etc. We need to focus upon how we can send a message to the wider community that our area is somewhere to take pride in, and not merely a convenient alternative tip!
Sydenhamresident

JMLF wrote:Will be there to get the gloves on all being well! :)

Some great positive reactions and forward movement on some posts recently!

Lovely stuff

Ps: make sure you get some donations if suddenly you need to buy hundreds of gloves and bags!!!
I admire your optimism!
The Clown

Post by The Clown »

Foxes have been causing problems too of late; spreading litter on bin days is really problematic.
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Great idea and happy to help - it would be good to get as much coverage as possible , after all , it’s as much about showing our objection to people who flytip and spit chewing gum , as removing the rubbish .

Definitely count me in .

A very good evening
Nigel