Wall Art Homecroft Road

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
syenhamboy

Wall Art Homecroft Road

Post by syenhamboy »

Spotted this, this morning on Homecroft Road

JMLF

Re: Wall Art Homecroft Road

Post by JMLF »

Lovely stuff. Wonder if it’s unfinished or not re: difference between left and right hand parrots.

Suspect (after a little google!) it’s by Aero /Aeroarts who have done a few similar pieces of animal (particular bird/parrot) street art in Penge and beyond.

The person/company is based in FH By look a of things.

As long as it’s not commissioned to your specifics (which would cost money) and doesn’t include anything racist, sexual, offensive etc. Then I believe a private owner can give permission to an artist to make their mark for free! The general sense I from reading/contacting places is that artists don’t want to get arrested or do work in the dark/dangerous conditions to get their artwork seen and out there so many are happy for a legal canvass in view of people to tread their wares.

I gather people could complain to the council if it is anything seen to be illegal, offensive or other.

This is something I’m planning to look into in the future after the mural, probably alongside other people/groups, but in the meantime if interested I would suggest London Calling as a good point of contact/info if want a wall done or just want to see more artists in the local area, particularly Penge.

https://londoncallingblog.net/2017/12/2 ... -in-penge/
stuart

Post by stuart »

JMLF wrote:As long as it’s not commissioned to your specifics (which would cost money) and doesn’t include anything racist, sexual, offensive etc. Then I believe a private owner can give permission to an artist to make their mark for free!
This ain't Potty Penge - it's Stalinist Sydenham! Hence I am obliged to object on behalf of blackbirds everywhere for this outrageous flaunting 'birds of colour' on a community already under attack from foul mouthed non-native parakeets.

Stuart :evil:
conti16

Post by conti16 »

I have noticed too and I really liked it. would like to see more around Sydenham and I certainly look into this for my house
JMLF wrote:Lovely stuff. Wonder if it’s unfinished or not re: difference between left and right hand parrots.

Suspect (after a little google!) it’s by Aero /Aeroarts who have done a few similar pieces of animal (particular bird/parrot) street art in Penge and beyond.

The person/company is based in FH By look a of things.

As long as it’s not commissioned to your specifics (which would cost money) and doesn’t include anything racist, sexual, offensive etc. Then I believe a private owner can give permission to an artist to make their mark for free! The general sense I from reading/contacting places is that artists don’t want to get arrested or do work in the dark/dangerous conditions to get their artwork seen and out there so many are happy for a legal canvass in view of people to tread their wares.

I gather people could complain to the council if it is anything seen to be illegal, offensive or other.

This is something I’m planning to look into in the future after the mural, probably alongside other people/groups, but in the meantime if interested I would suggest London Calling as a good point of contact/info if want a wall done or just want to see more artists in the local area, particularly Penge.

https://londoncallingblog.net/2017/12/2 ... -in-penge/
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

I think it looks amateurish and totally out of place . I wonder how many neighbours wish it were just well-pointed brickwork , or a nice fence with foliage spilling over or a mixed hedge with berries and birds twittering from within ?

I quite like some of those Banksy-esque murals in Penge like the Station Road/St Johns street but I hate this .

Like the inalienable Human Right to call most of Alban Berg and Arnold Schönberg’d output “ noise” , I regard much of the wall art as “ graffiti “ . I think it is very intrusive and needs to be commissioned with a very clear and popular support .
I doubt the silent majority will complain .

A very good afternoon
Nigel
Becrob89

Post by Becrob89 »

I live near the top of Homecroft Road and really don’t like it...I’m all for brightening things up and I’m looking forward to seeing the Sydenham mural but don’t like this style of graffiti art.
chrisj1948

Post by chrisj1948 »

I am looking at the mural at the moment, since it is in clear view from my computer room. I guess I am going to be looking at it a lot more in the future. The overall effect, artistic considerations aside, is of an advertising hoarding mounted on the wall. I cannot say I am too crazy about it at the moment. Perhaps it will grow on me.

Regards
Chris
Susie1791

Post by Susie1791 »

I love the Nathan Bowen street art on the old billboard on Bell Green roundabout, I would love to see more of this kind on spaces that are run down or unloved
The Clown

Post by The Clown »

Nope, not a fan
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

Parrot fashion.
syd-gal

Post by syd-gal »

Susie1791 wrote:I love the Nathan Bowen street art on the old billboard on Bell Green roundabout, I would love to see more of this kind on spaces that are run down or unloved
Where is this? The small roundabout leading to Sainsburys/McDs etc?
Susie1791

Post by Susie1791 »

syd-gal wrote:
Susie1791 wrote:I love the Nathan Bowen street art on the old billboard on Bell Green roundabout, I would love to see more of this kind on spaces that are run down or unloved
Where is this? The small roundabout leading to Sainsburys/McDs etc?
Syd-gal, it's on the Bell Green roundabout, right by The Bell pub, it's quite a big piece and he's collaborated with another street artist, Blackmore, it looks really good. I see quite a few of his tiles around Sydenham too with his trademark figure on it, there's one on the wall near the path as you exit Sydenham station and another on Southend Lane near the Railway pub. I'm wondering if he lives local
syd-gal

Post by syd-gal »

Thanks Susie.........I've been past so many times without realising what it was. Now I know!
BettyWalker

Post by BettyWalker »

This looks great! Would love to see more work like this around Sydenham.