Justeat/hungryhouse & local eateries

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
JMLF

Justeat/hungryhouse & local eateries

Post by JMLF »

Was gonna post this last week but felt I’d been battering the forum a bit much lately!

Last week ordered Gurkha’s off justeat for pick-up (couldn’t wait!!) when I picked it up the young guy who is normally behind the counter mentioned how much money they lose through the cut of justeat/hungryhouse but they don’t want to miss out on orders by not being on there.

You can order direct from them with free delivery over £12 (I think) and it’s 10% off if you pick-up aswell.

Just food for thought to not only shop local but I guess think local aswell and when using take-aways to call direct or use their website to provide them without added expenses!
admin
Site Admin

Re: Justeat/hungryhouse & local eateries

Post by admin »

Why I sometimes use Just eat or whatever is because you can order it online. Maybe Gurkha's have this facility on their website, but if not suggest they put it on. It's just easier that way than ringing up and finding the menu etc.

admin
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

All takeaways complain about just eat etc.
Although they don't complain about the extra trade it brings them.
Everything in business has a cost. being listed in a directory etc.I"ve read about takeaways getting 14x their normal orders through hungryhouse.

These apps take around 15-20% commission but it depends on which service.

This is when a traders group could help, a local website allowing online orders could be a great way of encouraging local business and possibly charging less by shopping locally than through the app. Currently, there is little incentive not to order through the apps and it's easier.

Just Eat / Hungryhouse are merging soon, so that may change things. It's been cleared by the regulators so should be fairly soon.
stuart

Post by stuart »

leenewham wrote:This is when a traders group could help, a local website allowing online orders could be a great way of encouraging local business and possibly charging less by shopping locally than through the app. Currently, there is little incentive not to order through the apps and it's easier.
That'a exactly what was proposed a couple of years ago - a model website to treat Sydenham Road as a Department Store with each retail business a department able to make their own offers and the best highlighted on the frontpage and changed every week to make it a compelling place to check regularary. It would hopefully turn the street into a place to visit.

And not be the disaster of the last two council funded town sites.

But the idea fell on stony ground. Indeed I don't think it made it past the gatekeepers. It wasn't as though it was rejected with some reasoning on why it might not work. It just disappeared into the blackhole that has consumed so many initiatives people have tried to push over the last 30 years.

Which is why I really hope this mural project (now on page 5 here) can break the mould. So go JMLF, go ... It's also an invitation for the more progressive retailers to get together and create a independent 'vibrant' virtual high street of their own.

Stuart
Jollylolly

Post by Jollylolly »

Barakah also a lot cheaper if you order through their own website BUT it is sometimes annoying to use.
mosy

Post by mosy »

I tried to order for three via Hungry Eats to buy Gurkha's food, but all vegan (which wasn't that easy to discern). After a few minutes deciding if what I'd ordered was to everyone's liking, i found the website had timed me out and I'd lost the lot! Arggh.

I rang Gurkha instead at that point who said I could order over the phone. The manager(?) knew his food inside out so fully advised on dishes vegan or not so we were very happy :)

Looking at it objectively, I know it took him "off the floor" of customers whilst he dealt with me for a while on the phone so there are no doubt pros and cons with direct vs ap.
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

I’m going to sound like a Luddite here but what the hell is hard about phoning Himalayan Kitchen for instance , as I did last night , speaking to charming lady who takes the orders - followed by 35 mins of anticipation , laying the table , warming the plates and deciding what to drink ?

If you are an even remotely grounded adult , you will have much the same thing most times so menu not needed . The thought of a local business losing a percentage to some kind of nerd/bloodsucker/ leech techno-hub upsets me no end . Without wishing to provoke anyone , we should stop being ninnies and pick the phone up . Surely the most trivial thing we can do to suppprt local business - if the Sydenham sourcing website happens then I’ll think again but let’s not fund crappy web companies when we should be spending it on a rogan josh or whatever your preference may be . .
A very good evening
Nigel
robbieduncan

Post by robbieduncan »

The most obvious reason is when you want to pay by card but the establishmebt doesn't accept cards. You can use one of these sites to order for pickup and pay by card
alywin

Post by alywin »

This weekend, I've become rather concerned about the number of local businesses I see using Deliveroo, too. I wonder what's happened to the delivery people they presumably used to use independently?