Been to The Greyhound yet?

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
Parker1970

Re: Been to The Greyhound yet?

Post by Parker1970 »

Ghlpc wrote:
Keef wrote:Anyway, RE The Greyhound, I've not been in yet, and p[robably won't now, because my friend has just tried and posted a photo on a plate full of the fattiest looking lamb you'll ever see, for which she paid £16. And the most pathetic tiny and burnt looking kids burger, which cost £7.

If you're spending £50 to feed a family of 2 adults and 2 kids (and that's without drinks) you have a right to expect a hell of a lot better than what she got.

It looked so bad I actually felt the need to post on this forum for the first time in 6 years.
Surely you should at least go in and try the place for yourself, before making a judgement on the basis of a friends photo and posting on here?
I agree.

As posted earlier, I had a table booked for my birthday. 4 of us, we all had different starters and mains and they were all fantastic, so much so one of my guests sent a note up to the kitchen on a napkin thanking the kitchen staff.
Likelife

Post by Likelife »

My partner and I went it recently and it is a nice place. However, after spending £13 on two drinks - which even for London is quite expensive and not even sitting down for a minute at a non-reserved table for 2, a member of staff came up to us and told us we were in the food seating area and if the table was needed we would be asked to move - despite there being no seats available in the drinking area. Now I have a problem with that for several reasons:

A) When we bought the drinks, no "drinking" tables were available. Yet no one informed us before we spent our money, that the areas a treated differently. If we had known we would have just gone home.
B) There is zero signage informing customers of the seating areas.
C) It gave the impression that unless we buy food we are not welcome.
D) It terrible customer service.

Gastropub or not, at the end of the day, ANY customer should be a valued customer, eating or not. They have no idea how much money we would have spent; we could have spent more than some eating customers. If we had not bought anything then fair enough, but we spent money and essentially got asked to leave. It's funny, I got to places all over London and that very day I was in "affluent" Wimbledon. Stuff like that just does not happen there. Yet right on my doorstep, trying to support a new, local business and this happens.

As for anyone saying we waited years for this, yes we did and it's blighted my view for over 5 years - for me that makes it even more annoying.
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

I do hope everyone who has had issues with the Greyhound has let them know as well as members here. Sometimes businesses get things wrong, and they wont know if you don’t tell them.
Pally

Post by Pally »

Rachael wrote:I do hope everyone who has had issues with the Greyhound has let them know as well as members here. Sometimes businesses get things wrong, and they wont know if you don’t tell them.
Good point Rachael! I had a mixed experience and told them the positives and the negatives...best way!
Ghlpc

Post by Ghlpc »

Likelife wrote:My partner and I went it recently and it is a nice place. However, after spending £13 on two drinks - which even for London is quite expensive and not even sitting down for a minute at a non-reserved table for 2, a member of staff came up to us and told us we were in the food seating area and if the table was needed we would be asked to move - despite there being no seats available in the drinking area. Now I have a problem with that for several reasons:

A) When we bought the drinks, no "drinking" tables were available. Yet no one informed us before we spent our money, that the areas a treated differently. If we had known we would have just gone home.

Gastropub or not, at the end of the day, ANY customer should be a valued customer, eating or not. They have no idea how much money we would have spent; we could have spent more than some eating customers. If we had not bought anything then fair enough, but we spent money and essentially got asked to leave. It's funny, I got to places all over London and that very day I was in "affluent" Wimbledon. Stuff like that just does not happen there. Yet right on my doorstep, trying to support a new, local business and this happens.

As for anyone saying we waited years for this, yes we did and it's blighted my view for over 5 years - for me that makes it even more annoying.
Did you have to move for any diners in the end?
sparticus

Post by sparticus »

Likelife wrote:My partner and I went it recently and it is a nice place. However, after spending £13 on two drinks - which even for London is quite expensive and not even sitting down for a minute at a non-reserved table for 2, a member of staff came up to us and told us we were in the food seating area and if the table was needed we would be asked to move - despite there being no seats available in the drinking area. Now I have a problem with that for several reasons:

Since when does buying a drink in a pub give you a guaranteed seat? Even if you spend £13 on two drinks, if the place is busy then you sometimes find yourself standing at the bar. You were sitting in an area where tables are for the use of customers ordering food and were told that if diners needed the table you might have to move. Fair enough. It's happened to me and I'm more than happy to move if requested. As I understand it, the tables farthest away from the conservatory end are not reserved and are for the use of anyone if vacant. As someone who walks with a stick and cannot stand for long periods. I do tend to avoid places at times I know they will be very busy. But I have always found the staff in the Greyhound obliging and courteous even when rushed off their feet. They always make me(and the dog) feel welcome whether I'm dining or just having a pint. They are a damn site more courteous than people who use public fora to make spurious negative comments about hard-working young people trying (and succeeding) to bring something worthwhile to our high street.
mosy

Post by mosy »

I think the issue is nothing to do with how hard the staff work but that the area wasn't sectioned off saying "Dining area" nor was Likelife advised that if drinking only he/they must remain in the (unspecified) bar area until after his purchase and was sitting down.

It's an easy thing for the mgt to sort out, but perhaps it's not in their interest yet if the upper floor might change the downstairs area layout. Nevertheless, it would make me feel second class if told I might have to move if someone "better" arrived. I'd have asked to speak to the manager for clarification.

Of course if you knew, as Likelife said, you have the option of going elsewhere if they're too busy to let people sit at empty tables. Hindsight is a wonderful thing.
SydLowe

Post by SydLowe »

Once completed will the upper floor act as the restaurant? It would be wonderful to have the whole ground floor the "drinking" bit.
topofthehill

Post by topofthehill »

It would not be good for disabled dining customers though. There are already far too few places in Sydenham and surrounding areas catering for the needs of the disabled.
nicknack

Post by nicknack »

I think the dining will be downstairs, else why has the dumb waiter been installed? Also, there are tables outside today! Probably not for dining though :D
owlwise

Post by owlwise »

The upper floor has two dining rooms for private bookings/functions.
The Clown

Post by The Clown »

Pretty standard to be without a seat during peak foodie periods - it’s the same in The Dolphin on busy days and they have a great floor plate to work with.

What the Greyhound could probably do with, is a few high poseur tables in the Centre with some handbag clips beneath.

I’m happy to stand / mingle but need somewhere to rest my drink, so that I am not slowing the trade at the bar. Also need somewhere for coat (winter season).

It’ll settle into itself. Loving it still and all of the welcome refreshing improvements and additions to the high street - I am more likely to stay local now that there is variety and choice
Parker1970

Post by Parker1970 »

nicknack wrote:I think the dining will be downstairs, else why has the dumb waiter been installed? Also, there are tables outside today! Probably not for dining though :D
When I got home last night around 6pm there were several diners sitting outside, so they do seem to be okay with that. Those tables should at least provide a lot more seating for both drinkers and diners during the warmer months. Also, the outside tables have been empty by 10pm so perhaps they stop allowing outside drinks to prevent noise for the residents nearby.
Parker1970

Post by Parker1970 »

Congrats to them for winning Most Loved Pub in Sydenham in Time Out's Love London awards.
https://www.timeout.com/london/love-cit ... s/Sydenham

Also, the outside seating area is starting to look really good with the plant boxes.
JGD
Location: Perry Hill, SE6 (free-transferred to Perry Vale Ward, next to Bell Green; distinct from Sydenham).

Post by JGD »

Am I mis-reading the Timeout piece on The Greyhound ?

It appears to have a vote count set at zero and user comments are also absent.

So how was the decision made ?
Sydenham007

Post by Sydenham007 »

Went to the Greyhound after work today for a drink and a meal and once again it was really great. I had the risotto and my partner had the chicken main course. As a Sydenham resident since 2004 (I was registered on the forum before as Peak Hillbilly but lost my log-in) we are so pleased that we have a local pub that offers good food and drink and a great atmosphere - all credit to Monty and his hard working team.
Lord Summerisle

Post by Lord Summerisle »

The outside is now open and to me looks really great in the sunshine. Overall however it's not my kind of place, the atmosphere isn't...well, there isn't any, the prices are very high and I like some others don't really like kids in pubs, reserved tables and an overwhelming emphasis on food. The inside is really boxy and just makes me feel like I'm standing at some lapel badged conference, It just feels homogeneous and very boring but I am admittedly fussy when it comes to what constitutes a good ale house for me.That's certainly not saying it's not a great addition for many, just not my definition of a good pub.
JRW

Post by JRW »

No pub can possibly please everybody. Just as well, or it would be impossible to get in. There is a range of alternatives in Sydenham, so everyone should find somewhere that suits them.

The Greyhound campaign has been a fantastic success, and there is huge local pride in its reopening. I think, however, that it would be good to de-sticky this thread, as it has run its course, and is now placing unreasonable scrutiny on a successful local business, which is still finding its feet. Personally, I hardly use pubs, but I smile every time I pass the restored building, which is enough for me.
robbieduncan

Post by robbieduncan »

We have been twice for lunch. With our kids. We have all enjoyed the food, the service and the selection of beers.
Parker1970

Post by Parker1970 »

JRW wrote: I think, however, that it would be good to de-sticky this thread, as it has run its course,
It's not a sticky thread :)

There was a different thread that was sticky but was de-glued/de-stickified when the Greyhound opened. :D