Been to The Greyhound yet?

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
blueheaven

Re: Been to The Greyhound yet?

Post by blueheaven »

We've recently moved to the area and tried the Greyhound a couple of weeks ago - nice place, with lovely decor (if a bit bright - they could do with dimming some of the lights). You can tell a lot of thought (and money) has been put into it. Food was nice although we thought our portions were a bit small for the price. Keen to try a few more dishes from the menu for comparison though.

Our main observation was that it's not really a pub, it's a restaurant. Most of the space is dedicated to eating, you get shown to a table when you arrive, there's table service - all of that's fine but it's just not what I look for when going to a pub. Personally I'd like it to be a bit more relaxed, so you can sit wherever you like regardless of whether you're eating or just drinking, and if you want food you can just go up and order it at the bar. It felt like the staff were trying to be everything to all people and as a result they were run off their feet and service was a bit slow - I'd be more than happy for them to give up with the table service and make life easier for themselves.

Think this place has loads of potential and we'll definitely be back, but would agree with other comments that it feels like it's still finding its feet and needs to work out what it wants to be.
sparticus

Post by sparticus »

Give me strength! We've waited for years for the Greyhound to re-open, it turns out to be better than most of us expected, decent beer, good food, a pleasant space to sit in, and friendly helpful staff. And it's only been open for a couple of weeks and already the moaners have started. I'm sure the staff will really appreciate the advice from those on this forum who clearly have vast experience in bringing a pub on stream from scratch. I've been there at lunchtime on a weekend; its rammed, with staff rushed off their feet. The fact that its so busy then with families suggests that it is doing something right. Of course if you turn up without a booking at peak times you're going to be disappointed or face a long wait for a table. I might have a nostalgic longing for the pubs of my youth. You remember the ones that served disgusting beer- Watneys Red Barrel anyone?- had lavatories that stank and were ankle- deep in urine, and the best they could offer in the way of food was a stale bread roll with some plastic cheese in it. Oh, and were so fuggy with tobacco smoke it made your eyes water. But times change.
For pubs to make money these days they have to offer decent food served in agreeable surroundings. And even if they get it right it's always bloody hard work. Otherwise they join the 30 or so pubs that are closing every week. I for one am happy to be grateful for the efforts of those that saved the Greyhound and to Monty and his team for creating such a welcoming environment for an old bloke and his dog to enjoy a couple of pints in. And the scotch eggs are rather special!
Parker1970

Post by Parker1970 »

sparticus wrote:Give me strength! We've waited for years for the Greyhound to re-open, it turns out to be better than most of us expected, decent beer, good food, a pleasant space to sit in, and friendly helpful staff. And it's only been open for a couple of weeks and already the moaners have started. I'm sure the staff will really appreciate the advice from those on this forum who clearly have vast experience in bringing a pub on stream from scratch. I've been there at lunchtime on a weekend; its rammed, with staff rushed off their feet. The fact that its so busy then with families suggests that it is doing something right. Of course if you turn up without a booking at peak times you're going to be disappointed or face a long wait for a table. I might have a nostalgic longing for the pubs of my youth. You remember the ones that served disgusting beer- Watneys Red Barrel anyone?- had lavatories that stank and were ankle- deep in urine, and the best they could offer in the way of food was a stale bread roll with some plastic cheese in it. Oh, and were so fuggy with tobacco smoke it made your eyes water. But times change.
For pubs to make money these days they have to offer decent food served in agreeable surroundings. And even if they get it right it's always bloody hard work. Otherwise they join the 30 or so pubs that are closing every week. I for one am happy to be grateful for the efforts of those that saved the Greyhound and to Monty and his team for creating such a welcoming environment for an old bloke and his dog to enjoy a couple of pints in. And the scotch eggs are rather special!
Well said. I;ve booked a table for 5pm tomorrow for a birthday meal with some friends and very much looking forward to it.
blueheaven wrote:
Our main observation was that it's not really a pub, it's a restaurant. Most of the space is dedicated to eating, you get shown to a table when you arrive, there's table service - all of that's fine but it's just not what I look for when going to a pub. Personally I'd like it to be a bit more relaxed, so you can sit wherever you like regardless of whether you're eating or just drinking, and if you want food you can just go up and order it at the bar.
It's a gastro pub. Which is what the owners intended and we all knew and for the most part we welcome it. The "pub" you are describing is called Wetherspoons. Personally I prefer the Greyhound the way it is attracting the clientelle it does. If the regular pub experience is more your thing, that's the niche that The Pavillion fills.... with added karaoke on Friday night.
blueheaven

Post by blueheaven »

Parker1970 wrote: It's a gastro pub. Which is what the owners intended and we all knew and for the most part we welcome it. The "pub" you are describing is called Wetherspoons. Personally I prefer the Greyhound the way it is attracting the clientelle it does. If the regular pub experience is more your thing, that's the niche that The Pavillion fills.... with added karaoke on Friday night.
You seem to have quite an outdated view of pubs if you think it's only Wetherspoons and places like the Pavillion that allow customers to order food at the bar and sit where they want. There are loads of good pubs that manage it.

What do you consider to be the difference between a restaurant with a bar area and a gastro-pub?
Parker1970

Post by Parker1970 »

blueheaven wrote:
Parker1970 wrote: It's a gastro pub. Which is what the owners intended and we all knew and for the most part we welcome it. The "pub" you are describing is called Wetherspoons. Personally I prefer the Greyhound the way it is attracting the clientelle it does. If the regular pub experience is more your thing, that's the niche that The Pavillion fills.... with added karaoke on Friday night.
You seem to have quite an outdated view of pubs if you think it's only Wetherspoons and places like the Pavillion that allow customers to order food at the bar and sit where they want. There are loads of good pubs that manage it.

What do you consider to be the difference between a restaurant with a bar area and a gastro-pub?
My view is not outdated, specifically as I ran pubs with food offers for 15 years as a licensee. The outdated view is expecting all pubs to do "the same thing". Order your food at the bar, then go away to your table please. In order for pubs/drinking venues/restaurants with bars (delete as applicable) to survive these days is to do something unique. That's what the Greyhound have acheived here. None of the other Sydenham venues have the same type of offer, therefore making it more attractive to the more discerning crowd. Please don't think I am being critical of what you personaly want from a drinking venue, that will always differ from person to person and rightly so, but if it's not for you, that does not make it a bad venue, just not your style, just as you would not see me drinking in the Pavillion on Karaoke night...
blueheaven

Post by blueheaven »

Parker1970 wrote: My view is not outdated, specifically as I ran pubs with food offers for 15 years as a licensee. The outdated view is expecting all pubs to do "the same thing". Order your food at the bar, then go away to your table please. In order for pubs/drinking venues/restaurants with bars (delete as applicable) to survive these days is to do something unique. That's what the Greyhound have acheived here. None of the other Sydenham venues have the same type of offer, therefore making it more attractive to the more discerning crowd. Please don't think I am being critical of what you personaly want from a drinking venue, that will always differ from person to person and rightly so, but if it's not for you, that does not make it a bad venue, just not your style, just as you would not see me drinking in the Pavillion on Karaoke night...
I'd pretty much agree with all of that and it doesn't actually differ much from what I said in my original post - all I offered was my personal first impression of the place.

I did say quite a few positive things about it too, but on a discussion forum I don't see anything wrong with also being a bit critical as long as it's fair. I still feel it's more a restaurant than a pub, but it's a nice restaurant so that's obviously a great thing for the area.

I've never been in the Pavillion but I'm not a karaoke fan either.
stuart

Post by stuart »

Parker1970 wrote:The outdated view is expecting all pubs to do "the same thing". Order your food at the bar, then go away to your table please. In order for pubs/drinking venues/restaurants with bars (delete as applicable) to survive these days is to do something unique. That's what the Greyhound have acheived here. None of the other Sydenham venues have the same type of offer, therefore making it more attractive to the more discerning crowd.
Yes! The surprise is that The Greyhound appears to be fairly rammed most evenings yet the other venues are not markedly depleted. This suggests The Greyhound has tapped a new market for Sydenham which must be a good thing for both owners and residents.

Just because The Greyhound doesn't match my particular requirements (except for the Ghost Ship) doesn't disappoint me. Its the emptiness of The Golden Lion which couldn't be more depleted that is more worrying especially after the facelift. No one wants to see any pub die. The GL owner does have a challenge to put together a plan to attract more custom. I'm not sure what it is. People have said they don't keep their beer too well (because of the lack of turnover?) - but they are missing out on the bottle drinking crowd too.

Stuart
Ghlpc

Post by Ghlpc »

It's a great venue, and has tapped into a market that wasn't catered for in sydenham.

As said previously the venue will make most of it's money from food, so it's right that they concentrate on this area. I've had lunch, it was very good but pricey.

However I do think maybe a couple more tables for drinkers could be squeezed in, especially in the large middle area, or some bar stools around the bar area perhaps.

It's nice for a casual drink, but I don't think I would spend an evening just drinking there ....I prefer the ambience of the dolphin if I'm staying local.

But as mentioned already it's different to what we have already got so it's good sydenham now has a bit of variety and choice.

As for the Golden Lion, I think that has much more of an identity crises than the greyhound.

For me, there is a lack of a quality venue showing the sports (Bt and Sky), and I think the Golden Lion could tap into this.
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

I’m assuming the current configuration is temporary until the upstairs dining room opens.
El Cid

Post by El Cid »

I find myself agreeing with much of what bluehaven said. I've been to The Greyhound three times, and it does feel more like a restaurant. Nothing wrong with that. Good news for Sydenham. It needs more places where you can eat a decent meal. We all welcome that.

But. I have to say, I've been to plenty of gastro pubs that actually feel like pubs, for example, locally, The Golden Lion, The Westow in Crystal Palace, or The East Dulwich Tavern on Lordship Lane. The Greyhound feels like a restaurant with a bar area.

I think some people on this forum are far too quick to jump down the throats of those who express a different opinion. I thought it was all about discussion.

The Greyhound is an excellent addition to Sydenham, but that doesn't mean that it is beyond being critiqued.
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

But... it’s not finished. The main dining is going to move upstairs, isn’t it? But until it does, they need to maximise what they make from running the kitchen. So how it feels now is not the finished product. Yes, I know I’m repeating myself.
topofthehill

Post by topofthehill »

I thought the upstairs rooms were going to be for events?
sparticus

Post by sparticus »

But. I have to say, I've been to plenty of gastro pubs that actually feel like pubs, for example, locally, The Golden Lion, The Westow in Crystal Palace, or The East Dulwich Tavern on Lordship Lane. The Greyhound feels like a restaurant with a bar area.

I think some people on this forum are far too quick to jump down the throats of those who express a different opinion. I thought it was all about discussion.
The East Dulwich Tavern and the Westow, both Antic pubs, are, I agree, more "pubby" but both have been open for much longer than the Greyhound under that management and are both larger and less linear than the Greyhound. Having said that, I've been in the Westow at times when it does seem like everyone is eating and at others when it it so full of yummy mummies and their offspring that it feels like a bloody kindergarten. Of the three pubs mentioned, The Golden Lion is arguably the most traditionally pub-like. I have nothing to say against it except to observe that it is usually empty.

I thought discussion included challenging views that one disagreed with. But I do think it's unfair to criticise an enterprise that is trying hard and brings something overwhelmingly positive to Sydenham when it's only been open for a couple of weeks. If people have criticisms or suggestions then make them directly to the management in person or by email. I rather deplore this tendency to criticise places on social media just because we don't like them. If it's Amazon or Thames Water or if they've committed some egregious horror then fair enough, but generally my old granny's precept of "if you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all" is a good one. Positive feedback is almost always more productive than negative. It's why I don't take much notice of negative feedback on Tripadvisor and such like. I recently had a meal in a restaurant in Bermondsey that styles itself as a traditional French bistro*. It was exactly like the best sort of small family restaurant in a town in France profonde. It published an accurate description of itself with lots of pictures and daily menus on it's website. Someone had commented on Tripadvisor that the sauces were too rich, the wines too robust and that there were no vegetarian options- "fish ISN'T vegetarian!!" It was wonderful!
*Casse-croute if you*re interested.
SydenhamOwl

Post by SydenhamOwl »

The Alfred has both but it’s a bit of a subdued atmosphere in there at times...
Keef

Post by Keef »

decchips wrote:
Ghlpc wrote:
For me, there is a lack of a quality venue showing the sports (Bt and Sky)
Bricklayers Arms on Dartmouth Road is a solid Sydenham boozer and fantastic for sport.

Agreed, Bricklayers is great, AND pretty cheap. Bird in Hand (also Dartmouth Road but Forest Hill end) is very good for sports, and is VERY cheap. Has a bit of a bad rep, but I think that's more based on the past.
Keef

Post by Keef »

Anyway, RE The Greyhound, I've not been in yet, and p[robably won't now, because my friend has just tried and posted a photo on a plate full of the fattiest looking lamb you'll ever see, for which she paid £16. And the most pathetic tiny and burnt looking kids burger, which cost £7.

If you're spending £50 to feed a family of 2 adults and 2 kids (and that's without drinks) you have a right to expect a hell of a lot better than what she got.

It looked so bad I actually felt the need to post on this forum for the first time in 6 years.
Keef

Post by Keef »

In the interests of fairness, I should add that I went for a roast at The Golden Lion a couple of weeks back. If was rubbish and came half cold.

Basically Sydenham pubs seem to be going for Dulwich prices, but not coming up with the goods.
Tykesthorpe

Post by Tykesthorpe »

I've been twice now and enjoyed the food a lot.

Went the first time shortly after opening and had some great mackerel and lemon sole followed by a lovely crumble. My partner's cassoulet wasn't quite there but otherwise pretty impressed.

The second time I had a good cheese mousse followed by a decent pork belly.

Craft beer selection is much better than the average antic (though to be fair quite a lot more pricey) and a decent wine selection.
Maria

Post by Maria »

We've been three times since opening and have every intention of continuing to support them - because the food was always delicious, the atmosphere lively, and as for the service and the attention we received they were second to none.
....And it just looks beautiful!
Ghlpc

Post by Ghlpc »

Keef wrote:Anyway, RE The Greyhound, I've not been in yet, and p[robably won't now, because my friend has just tried and posted a photo on a plate full of the fattiest looking lamb you'll ever see, for which she paid £16. And the most pathetic tiny and burnt looking kids burger, which cost £7.

If you're spending £50 to feed a family of 2 adults and 2 kids (and that's without drinks) you have a right to expect a hell of a lot better than what she got.

It looked so bad I actually felt the need to post on this forum for the first time in 6 years.
Surely you should at least go in and try the place for yourself, before making a judgement on the basis of a friends photo and posting on here?