water pressure

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
chrisj1948

Re: water pressure

Post by chrisj1948 »

mosy wrote:Does anyone know if the central heating boiler should be switched off, or maybe it does by itself anyway? Ta.
It should have a header tank in the loft which will isolate it from supply interruptions for quite a while, but I am not a plumber and your system may vary.

Regards
Chris
BingBong

Post by BingBong »

This, just posted on Thames Water's Twitter feed:

#SE23 #SE26 #SE27 area has also been impacted due to pumps tripping at Brixton Pumping Stations which has caused an air lock at Crystal Palace reservoir. Our team is working to get the area back to normal as soon as possible.

12:17 PM - 5 Mar 2018
The Clown

Post by The Clown »

Thanks BingBong - loving the announcements :D
paulsyd

Post by paulsyd »

I think this is the specific job posted on the Thames Water site:
https://inyourarea.thameswater.co.uk/issue?id=D609

I briefly had water at 6:30 this morning, then none till about 10. All fine or near full pressue near Sydenham Station now.
Robin Orton

Post by Robin Orton »

Our water (Radlet Avenue ) is now back - low pressure but improving.
sherlomi

Post by sherlomi »

Still no water in Kirkdale, the Sydenham Hill end anyway. There is a water "station" in High Level Drive
where we were given trays of bottled water but then had to carry them back to Kirkdale - quite heavy but
much needed. No idea when our water will be on again.
Parker1970

Post by Parker1970 »

Thames water replied to my tweet saying it was back/being restored. If they call the dribble coming out of my tap restored... well.... it took 2 minutes to half fill the kettle and not enough pressure to restart the boiler for hot water. #CobbsCorner #FeelingSmelly #NeedShower
Parker1970

Post by Parker1970 »

Aaaand it's off again.
angela53

Post by angela53 »

pressure dropped again, not confident to putting the heating back on yet
alywin

Post by alywin »

Just when I was thinking it was all over, we're down to zero again in the Toastrack :( ...
Steveofsyd

Post by Steveofsyd »

Yup down to eff all in Wiverton. Bloody incompetence.
alywin

Post by alywin »

Okay, just taken a trip down to the office, used the facilities, picked up a couple of large bottles of mineral water at the supermarket, filled some more up with tap water and lugged the whole lot home. Not impressed. And the Thames Water Twitter account has been worryingly silent over the past few hours. Maybe only because the person who operates it has clocked off, but who knows?
sherlomi

Post by sherlomi »

Woke up just now in the hope that we might have water. Managed to fill two saucepans of water
from the slow dribble coming out of tap - just enough to flush the toilet (oh my god. the toilet!!!!)
Now no dribble at all and so we will be making another trip to High Level Drive to replenish the
water stocks. I would actually pay for bottled water if I could get my hands on any but yesterday
all shops sold out. I am sick of going to Thames Water twitter to hear how well they have done
in NW3 and nothing on Sydenham. Do I sound like a snowflake? I want my shower!!!!
Parker1970

Post by Parker1970 »

Well I'm at Cobbs corner and had no water last night. I woke at 5:20am to the sound of water filling pipes, radiators etc and I heard the boiler start up. I didnt get back to sleep so I took a shower at 6:00am, it was weak but it was a shower. Very glad I did as it is now 7:20am and the water is off again.
sherlomi

Post by sherlomi »

You had a shower?!! You b..........!!!!!!
sherlomi

Post by sherlomi »

I've just been on to Thames Water twitter and I'm sure most people know by now that the nearest
bottle station is in High Level Drive. Evidentally there are only five stations providing bottled water
in the affected areas. The trays are so heavy to carry home and I pity the elderly. Can you imagine
living a distance from HLD and without a car? I only hope we can all check on elderly neighbours
to make sure they are OK.
alywin

Post by alywin »

These water stations are all very well for those people who have cars - not so good for those who don't. And what about the housebound? Does Thames Water even have a list of "at risk" customers like British Gas and the electricity companies?

(Edit: the previous post hadn't come in while I was typing this)
Last edited by alywin on 6 Mar 2018 10:39, edited 1 time in total.
alywin

Post by alywin »

I was in Stratford yesterday. Seriously considered buying some water there and bringing it home, but rang home and the water was apparently all right - then. Hence the "midnight dash".

BTW, from previous events I believe that SE20 is on a completely different system ...
Parker1970

Post by Parker1970 »

I realize it's been a few days and as this thread is quiet, they solved the problem around Weds... however...

Our flats in Kirkdale opposite the greyhound still had really low pressure and no water at peak times (7am-9am). I stupidly assumed it was just residual issues that would clear, but I was wrong.

I ended up tweeting Thames Water yesterday and got some direct messages for more information, then a phone call.. then a thames water engineer turned up around 730pm yesterday evening. He found several of the pressure valves for our flats were almost at the "off" position, he suspects the freeze and cut off with airlocks caused a kind of suction that pulled the valves almost closed. All now resolved and back to normal.
syenhamboy

Post by syenhamboy »

Today I received a £50 cheque for compensation from Thames Water regarding this water issue.
Did everyone else get this too?