The Monstrosity - ie St Philp Neri school building

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
JGD
Location: Perry Hill, SE6 (free-transferred to Perry Vale Ward, next to Bell Green; distinct from Sydenham).

Re: The Monstrosity - ie St Philp Neri school building

Post by JGD »

Sorry Julia - could only find this significantly different pic. Do you more in another location ?
Larky

Post by Larky »

Getting a bit lost with this !

The new building that is completed and occupied by the children, has been approved by planning and as far as I am aware the planning has not been withdrawn. Surely nothing can be done with this now?

I understood that is was the second building that has yet to go up has had part of the planning permission withdrawn?
JRW

Post by JRW »

The paperwork is bewildering, but although the work is being done in 2 phases, the next bit joins on and completes a single building. This is how it is described in all paperwork. Planning permission for phase 2 includes all the work of phase 1, so it seems it is completing the project. If Lewisham decides to interpret it as being exclusively the next bit, then that would mean upgrading one bit of a building, and leaving the other end in a mess. Until I get official statements about what is going on, I interpret the documents as meaning it is a single development. I have various requests out to councillors, prospective Mayor and Ellie Reeves our MP, who has agreed to look into it. As for Planning enforcement, to whom the situation has been passed, if I don't hear back soon, I will put in a Freedom of Information request.
TredownMan

Post by TredownMan »

I’m still a bit confused. The building, ugly as it is, is exactly as billed in the original planning isn’t it? There was a public meeting I recall where they showed the plans.

The rejected application was to turn building 2 into plastic cladding rather than timber outer, wasn’t it?

I’m sympathetic, but im still not sure where the planning rules have been breached. Im concerned if they have been, of course
JRW

Post by JRW »

Grow Sydenham, I missed your query. The history of the development is that planning permission was granted on a design which was quite sophisticated and subtle, even if I would have preferred a different plan. The developers then dumped the elite architectural firm and used a builder with in-house design capabilities(!)to deliver the project.

There has a continual stream of modifications, and the current design bears only a passing relationship with the permitted design. In the last few months, the High Count has ruled on a case in Hackney, that if substantial difference is made in changing plans, then the authority is legally obliged to repeat the public consultation process. Take a look at the original designs, posted on an old trail on this site, and you will see what I mean. This version is like a child's Lego attempt at Buckingham Palace.
JRW

Post by JRW »

Can somebody upload the original design? The images have disappeared from the old trail, and I can't cut and paste on my new phone!
The roof is completely different, the gable design has been ruined by altering angle and proportion. The windows are very different, and were supposed to be deep set rather than flush, with coloured reveals. Just that would have given the facades light and shade, and interest that the Lego shed can't manage. The block facade was articulated into sections, toning down what is now a plain hulk. There are so many differences that other than the fact it has the (now fake) gables, it is unrecognisable. I could bang on, but have probably bored you rigid already.
JGD
Location: Perry Hill, SE6 (free-transferred to Perry Vale Ward, next to Bell Green; distinct from Sydenham).

Post by JGD »

Pally

Post by Pally »

It comes up as unavailable when clicked on link
mosy

Post by mosy »

Pally wrote:
It comes up as unavailable when clicked on link
I've concluded that documents on Lewisham's planning site are shown as unavailable more often than they are available, which is the website not the documents.

You just have to try again at a less busy time. I haven't found a workaround to access documents supposedly available otherwise since all roads lead to Rome, i.e. unavailable until luckily accessing the site when they are available... I found it misleading until I realised that.
JGD

Post by JGD »

Hi Julia

I tested it twice and it worked - just retested after seeing your message - and you are right it failed..

Probably a timing issue.

Let me try a different approach tomorrow.
syd

Post by syd »

It seems the planning docs have been removed! Not suspicious at all

http://councilmeetings.lewisham.gov.uk/ ... Report.pdf
JRW

Post by JRW »

The whole thing is incredibly suspicious. Planning permission was granted for the architects plans, with them as agents, then within 2 months the agent was Build Offsite, submitting major alterations showing the current Monstrosity. Hard not to be cynical.......
syd

Post by syd »

JRW wrote:The whole thing is incredibly suspicious. Planning permission was granted for the architects plans, with them as agents, then within 2 months the agent was Build Offsite, submitting major alterations showing the current Monstrosity. Hard not to be cynical.......
Indeed :D Did you get hold of the plans?
JRW

Post by JRW »

All downloaded, so they needn't bother shredding anything........ Oh, and I have printouts of the original plan and documents.
syd

Post by syd »

JRW wrote:All downloaded, so they needn't bother shredding anything........ Oh, and I have printouts of the original plan and documents.
Hey can you upload them?
JRW

Post by JRW »

I have just tweeted 2 images, 1 artists impression of planning approved scheme, and a photo of what it actually looks like. Enjoy!
JRobinson

Post by JRobinson »

can you post a link to the tweet?
... never mind, found it.
https://twitter.com/JRWSE26
JRW

Post by JRW »

https://twitter.com/JRWSE26/status/991363789240127488
If somebody can paste the images, I'd be incredibly grateful. Also, please do leave your own social media comments, or respond to mine. The Sydenham Society are not retweeting about this issue, so it looks like it is only me who cares. Make your views know, or you will have to live with the consequences......
stuart

Post by stuart »

JRW wrote:If somebody can paste the images, I'd be incredibly grateful.
There you go:

syd

Post by syd »

stuart wrote:
JRW wrote:If somebody can paste the images, I'd be incredibly grateful.
There you go:

Blimey the original plan looks really nice, I cannot believe they think they’ve got away with that hideous mess. They’ve started on the extension I wonder if they’ll just put a bouncy castle in there?

I’ll contact Cllr Best too