The Monstrosity - ie St Philp Neri school building

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
JRW

Re: The Monstrosity - ie St Philp Neri school building

Post by JRW »

Hi Pally, shame you can't make it, but I am sure we could do it another time as well. Queries to planning are far more important anyway.

For everyone else, the meeting is going ahead tomorrow, Tuesday 8th May at 6.30. We will meet at the Library Square, where there is shade and seating for people to wait. I will be there from 6, and will have to leave at 7.15, but I hope some of you will make it. Your discussion can feed into the campaign, and help to resolve the issue.

It is particularly important that people make their feelings known immediately, as things may move quickly. The Syd Social committee is discussing the development at their meeting tomorrow evening, and hopefully they will be able to bring pressure on Lewisham. I have been invited to update them, so come along at 6.30 and give me your views, so I can pass them on to the committee.
Sydenham Syd

Post by Sydenham Syd »

JRW wrote:To be honest, it is too early for me to make suggestions about improvements, although I certainly could make some! First, we need to hear from Lewisham on their next steps in the matter.

This is not going to be a quick fix, and I believe that we should both focus attention on the planning failures, AND press for an upgrade of the current structure's design and quality.
The best way of delivering this, is by sanctions against the school for its failure to obey planning law. As the school claims to educate in the moral focus of the church, it is difficult to understand why they find it so difficult to see that the law also applies to them.

I hope Lewisham will respond soon, as otherwise, there is a lot of explaining to do. Is there, for example, any private deal relating to the large parcel of land on Mayow Road (the infant school) which will be freed up for development?
This was NOT a school issue - the design decision was down to the diocese.
It is unfair to deliver sanctions against the school.
Just saying
JRW

Post by JRW »

Just a reminder that if anyone wants to meet and talk about the monstrosity, come along at 6.30 this evening at the library square. Come and gaze at the building with approved plans for contrast. Talk to your neighbours about the sheer grimness of it.....
Larky

Post by Larky »

What was the feedback/outcome of the two meetings?
JRW

Post by JRW »

All very positive noises, some brilliant new connections, and hopefully there may be a rather more professional campaign launched soon. I will post as soon as there is any definite news. Thanks for all the support!
JRW

Post by JRW »

Updates: sorry for the delay, but I was giving people the time to announce their positions on this topic. After 3 weeks, I have decided I can't wait any longer, as time is pressing.

The meeting with the Syd Soc committee went well, and they agreed to take action, starting with getting the issue formally tabled at the next Sydenham Assembly, on June 13th. To prepare for the Assembly, I have asked to see the councillors at next Saturday morning surgery at Sydenham library, on 2nd June. Anyone else is welcome to come along, and discuss how to proceed.

I met the new Mayor, and asked him what he could do to help us. Damien kindly offered a meeting with all parties at his office, and promised that he would come to the Assembly on June 13th, and take questions it in his new Mayor's Question Time format.

Probably the most important news is the written confirmation that the development is under a planning enforcement notice, and discussions are underway. Critically, the email acknowledges that the building stands considerably taller and larger than the agreed plans, but says they are focused in improving the cladding. I think this is not enough, as the sheer bulk is a major factor in making it an eyesore.

Clearly the politicians are distracted by the various elections, but the Lewisham East by-election won't be for weeks yet, and we need answers now. I hope that, given that the seat is totally safe, the needs of the national party are not allowed to get in the way of local accountability.
syd

Post by syd »

JRW wrote:Updates: sorry for the delay, but I was giving people the time to announce their positions on this topic. After 3 weeks, I have decided I can't wait any longer, as time is pressing.

The meeting with the Syd Soc committee went well, and they agreed to take action, starting with getting the issue formally tabled at the next Sydenham Assembly, on June 13th. To prepare for the Assembly, I have asked to see the councillors at next Saturday morning surgery at Sydenham library, on 2nd June. Anyone else is welcome to come along, and discuss how to proceed.

I met the new Mayor, and asked him what he could do to help us. Damien kindly offered a meeting with all parties at his office, and promised that he would come to the Assembly on June 13th, and take questions it in his new Mayor's Question Time format.

Probably the most important news is the written confirmation that the development is under a planning enforcement notice, and discussions are underway. Critically, the email acknowledges that the building stands considerably taller and larger than the agreed plans, but says they are focused in improving the cladding. I think this is not enough, as the sheer bulk is a major factor in making it an eyesore.

Clearly the politicians are distracted by the various elections, but the Lewisham East by-election won't be for weeks yet, and we need answers now. I hope that, given that the seat is totally safe, the needs of the national party are not allowed to get in the way of local accountability.
Hey, Congrats on getting a response from the council. Hopefully there will be a major rework over the summer holidays.
Pally

Post by Pally »

I have had no response to my comments to Lewisham planning.

I think improved cladding would actually make the building less imposing. If the cladding toned in more with the surrounding buildings this would help considerably. Will try to attend Sydenham Assembly.
Jollylolly

Post by Jollylolly »

So planning for the boundaries is now on the Lewisham website. Is anyone who is good at reading drawings and has a decent computer (taking over half hour to load on mine) able to tell me what they are doing to the boundaries between the houses and the playground? Seems like they are taking away current wall?
JRW

Post by JRW »

Lewisham has acknowledging that there are planning breaches on the St Philip Neri school redevelopment.

Chris Best writes in the new Syd Soc newsletter, on page 4.
"I know a number of residents are concerned with the look of the new Our Lady and At Philip Neri School. The planning department is committed to the original signed-off designs.

Contrary to what may have been conveyed to the school or others via the builders and the employer's agent, the planning department has not signed off any changes to the design. Indeed they have informed the builder that the installed cladding has not (as per the planning conditions) been signed off, as not only have the builders not provided an initial sample for approval, but the cladding is of insufficient quality. Design principles must stand, and the quality of the material needs to be sufficient."

An email response from Simon Chalcraft, the St Philip Neri Planning Enforcement officer, agrees the cladding is a problem, and that the builders need to go through planning and public consultation before acting. He went on to say:
"........ In regards to the height and scale of the building, after visiting the site, we could see no reason to dispute that the dimensions approved have not been adhered to. But the materials remained the main, overall concern."

I think that this doesn't go far enough, as the greatly increased height and bulk of the building will not be ok, even with upgraded cladding.

Each of these statements includes an invitation to the Sydenham Assembly to ask for more information
JRW

Post by JRW »

My objection to the Boundaries planning application:

I object strenuously to this application, which bears no relation to the permitted design.

Greatly increased height and bulk; the building now lacks the proportions, articulation and detail of the original. PVC windows set flush, their format, colour and inferior quality materials detract from the visual effect, especially as the existing building has a lower proportion of window in each elevation. They also breach the regulations by opening on the Sydenham Road aspect.

The loss of the approved deep reveals, recessed elements and altered roofline has produced a loss of shadow and articulation to the facades, and created the impression of a giant industrial estate warehouse dropped from the sky.

The Fairlawn wall and gate are aesthetically painful; the paint is strident, and putting 3 metres of shrieking blue fence at the end of small gardens is very intrusive. The gate is unfit for purpose in child protection, leaving the infants playground unscreened. Improvised screening by the school is unlikely to be attractive; using reflective film on the ground floor windows has been unacceptable.
syd

Post by syd »

JRW wrote:My objection to the Boundaries planning application:

I object strenuously to this application, which bears no relation to the permitted design.

Greatly increased height and bulk; the building now lacks the proportions, articulation and detail of the original. PVC windows set flush, their format, colour and inferior quality materials detract from the visual effect, especially as the existing building has a lower proportion of window in each elevation. They also breach the regulations by opening on the Sydenham Road aspect.

The loss of the approved deep reveals, recessed elements and altered roofline has produced a loss of shadow and articulation to the facades, and created the impression of a giant industrial estate warehouse dropped from the sky.

The Fairlawn wall and gate are aesthetically painful; the paint is strident, and putting 3 metres of shrieking blue fence at the end of small gardens is very intrusive. The gate is unfit for purpose in child protection, leaving the infants playground unscreened. Improvised screening by the school is unlikely to be attractive; using reflective film on the ground floor windows has been unacceptable.
Does anyone know what’s happening to the monstrosity?
JRW

Post by JRW »

Breaking news......

At the Sydenham Assembly, residents voted for a public meeting about the St Philip Neri School planning issues, and were promised it would be delivered. Given the likely timescale for planning enforcement action, Lewisham has agreed to hold a public meeting so we can give our feedback on the process so far.

The meeting will be held at Sydenham Library on Thursday 19th July at 7pm. It will be chaired by Cllr Tom Copley, the ward councillor who is taking the lead on this issue. The acting head of Planning will attend and answer questions, and spokespeople will be invited to represent the Archdiocese, the Education Commission, the builders and architects.

When the posters and other publicity material arrives, the Syd Soc will include a dedicated email address and Twitter handle, so everyone has a chance to say what they think, and we can try to ensure their question is addressed. This has the advantage of giving the planners and developers the chance to come prepared with answers....

More info to come in the next few days, so start thinking about what you want addressed. Brief points please, not an essay!