Local Legends Sydenham & Penge

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
chezsu

Local Legends Sydenham & Penge

Post by chezsu »

I saw this topic on another forum, Forest Hill & Honor Oak Park cough cough.

Basically is there anyone in the Penge/Sydenham area that deserves special praise for their customer service or helpfulness? Perhaps one of the lads from Smart Chaps? Or that mafia looking guy who runs the Moon Stars?

My vote goes to the young lad who works in Greggs Penge. Super helpful and he brightens my day when I go on to get my daughter a sausage roll for a treat once a week.

There was a day when the queue was massive and there wasn't much food ready. When he served me I told him people would go crazy if there was no Gregg's in Penge. His reply:

"People worry about Brexit, but Greggsit would be a far more frightening situation"

Genuinely cracked me up all day.
El Cid

Re: Local Legends Sydenham & Penge

Post by El Cid »

My vote would go to Raffaele, at our trattoria. He always makes tour feel appreciated when you walk through the door. Nothing is too much trouble.

I'd also like to single out the staff at Sainsbury's at Cobb's Corner and Tesco in the high street.
Jollylolly

Post by Jollylolly »

Great thread. Lots of people: Raffaele agree. Also the chap that runs cherry and ice is always super friendly. I think that many of the people who work/volunteer at Sydenham library are saints. The chap who cleans lower sydenham streets has good chat too. Lots of community spirit in Sydenham.
Pally

Post by Pally »

Definitely Raffaele. Also Fresh and Fruity and Billings staff. On the Hoof bloke who is there most of the time. Some staff at Sainsburys local. Bloke in the shoe menders on the High St. Angie-flowers! Actually, I really can think of a lot of great people on our High St!!!
Bovine Juice

Post by Bovine Juice »

Ian and Judy at Designer Drapes in Penge are local legends. Involved in everything, run the Penge Traders Association and are always at fundraisers. Really lovely people too.
prince

Post by prince »

I nominate Alona Sheridan of Friends of Mayow Park as a complete legend. Her enthusiasm, love and hard work seem endless!
JGD
Location: Perry Hill, SE6 (free-transferred to Perry Vale Ward, next to Bell Green; distinct from Sydenham).

Post by JGD »

Raffaele and his team - superb service, food and all delivered with warmth.
mosy

Post by mosy »

I agree with an earlier post that many retailers on Sydenham Road provide excellent customer service, but I'm not sure that makes them legends. Perhaps volunteer workers in charity shops come very close by giving their time freely with the singular aim of helping. So, as said, similarly with library volunteers.
stuart

Post by stuart »

Everybody should be a legend. I find most people are. OK the legend bit can sometimes be a bit hidden. its the ones who ain't that worries me.

Stuart
JRW

Post by JRW »

I have always found the street cleaning team to be great people, who do a fantastic job of what must feel like a losing battle. They sweep a street spotless, then the wind blows, and litter goes everywhere all over again. Despite this, they are polite and dedicated, and deserve Legendary status. :D