Greyhound Pub

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
Chris w

The Greyhound

Post by Chris w »

Hi

Does anyone know whats happening with the Greyhound. Last timed I logged on there was talk of it reopening. Turns out that was year ago! Any recent developments??

Cheers
Chris.
simon

Post by simon »

Good question. Last I heard was that the development was knocked back by planning who wanted more details. Don't know if the developers are interested any more.
simon

Post by simon »

I've got a feeling that Parker will tell us shortly ;)
Steve Grindlay

Post by Steve Grindlay »

I've just spotted this on the Lewisham Planning website...
Ronski

Post by Ronski »

"42 residential units......9 parking spaces"

That's not going to work is it.
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

I sincerely hope it will not go ahead but am not optimistic.
Annie

Post by Annie »

264 residents to satisfy ?

You never know Eagle.
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

I am not as confident as you that the council give a dam about what people think. They assume Labour will get in even if they put Sir Fred as Mayor.
parker

Post by parker »

Im thinking that Lewisham's idea of much improved public transport will mean people dont need cars as it would seem that they are expecting roughly about 25% of the residents to own a car, oh lordy! ...This is Lewisham Council for you, remember! :x

They said something about having ample motorcycle parking and a whopping 56 cycle racks :shock: suppose who needs a car when you have a bicycle and several young children :roll:

How loud would it be for residents living on top of Sydenham Station?! Something like 16 trains an hour! The area should be used for retail and maybe a smaller amount of housing, and how lush would a trendy Pizza Express be at the Greyhound with lovely outdoor seating with nice luxury housing at the back with another 'pocket square' to give the area nice landscaping.
Annie

Post by Annie »

Eagle wrote:I am not as confident as you that the council give a dam about what people think. They assume Labour will get in even if they put Sir Fred as Mayor.

I didnt say i was confident about Lewisham council giving a damn Eagle,

But if the peoples voice is loud enough in protest you never know what the outcome may be.
Keef

Post by Keef »

Damned shame if it does turn in to flats, would love to see The Greyhound reopen as a pub... Maybe one with live music!
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

The pub isn't turning into flats, not from what I read.

The plans look pretty much the same as they were before. Here are the pictures from the proposed plans:

As for the provision of parking, it's not that different from many other schemes. Not everyone has a car and they are having a car club scheme like streetcar.[/img]
Julsb

Post by Julsb »

Goodness. It's just so... tall.

I think I'd feel a lot more positive about it if they chopped the top floor off those flats.
Ulysses

Post by Ulysses »

I'm not sure where I stand on the Greyhound. Moving away from the issue of it never being a pub or hotel again and whether or not it had even been a decent pub for some time I am glad it will not be demolished even if I am slightly sad that the minton tiles/old hotel entrance seem to be 'done for'.

On the one hand oridinarily I am the biggest architectural snob. If it isn't Georgian/Victorian or at a stretch Edwardian I am simply not interested. That written I actually do like alot of the modern developments. Yes they may be a bit identi-kit (almost flat pack) BUT they do offer sound-insulation; heat insulation; safety and comfort far superior to the usual poorly converted Victorian affairs that if converted pre 2004 you can often hear your neighbours breathing in! What's the alternative? Sitting for another 18 months or so in the Blue Mountain looking at or walking past that eye-sore - which is maybe the tact that the developers have taken?

After all. Think about what modern developments offer? They often sprout on brown-field or disused sites and offer much needed accomodation on derelict sites. Similarly that whole parade is a bit tatty. We can already boast a run-down snooker hall, a pretty naff gym frontage and an abandoned dodgy night-club. Even what was Kirkdale cameras isn't exactly appealing to the eye. Floor Zone and SugaHill could do with some things...in keeping with they and the Cobbs Corner architecture if not neccesarily the shop beneath.

I am worried about the sight-lines for the residents of Spring Hill Gardens. I also fear whether or not it's height will block out sun in their gardens - never mind the noise during build! Taking all that into account, if the retail units do offer what we think we all want and so long as it isn't to become a middle-class ghetto then I'm a consentor [?]

After all what did we expect? Something to make Lubetkin proud or from the stable of Sir Norman Foster? It's on an incredibly busy and noisy road and it's right next to a busy train-line in an area of London that as much as I love could do with some stock that isn't over 100 years old or from the 30's or 50's (not normally my cuppa but each to their own).

I appreciate it has always been an emotive subject and there's my two-hundred-penneth! :oops: I do not work for anyone involved in the project and I am not a wimp but I have to say I'm not against what I see currently.

Although, in the picture taken from the train station please tell me that isn't a walk-way on the top-floor?? Do they think this is Neasden??
Annie

Post by Annie »

I am please that something is going to be done, but am concerned that it just seems too tall,and imposes itself on the Greyhound, the Greyhound looks like it has reluctantly been left there because it was that or the builders wouldn't be allowed to develop.
Gaz

Post by Gaz »

I am not against the idea behind this development (an urban square thingy); however, my concern is that the buildings are so tall and bland that this could lead to this area becoming a bit of a ghetto - as I posted above somwhere; this reminds me of a view of one of the council estates along Westferry Rd.

Also, from what I can see, the proposed buildings would overshadow the Spring Hill houses and indeed their gardens, which surely wouldn't get past the planning stages?

However, this area needs to be redeveloped - and I want to retain the Greyhound. Guess my overall impression is that this gateway could look and feel so much better...

So I'm not a 'yes' or a 'no' yet! :?
gillyjp

Post by gillyjp »

Gaz, Annie and all those who have reservations about this development - you are not wrong. Gaz thanks for mentioning those who will have this monstrosity blighting their back gardens but it will be Peak Hill Gardens residents who it will effect most of all. Spring Hill is a little way away to be directly affected, but they will be, even if it is only by the parking problem this development will generate.

Please, please anyone with a bit of sense can see that this is just a load of breeze blocks with no character being put behind our houses. They have said there is to be just 9 car parking spaces and 42 residencies. Now it doesnt take much sense to realise where the lack of car parking will lead to. Peak Hill Gardens of course! Which I must say is already being squeezed by the commuters who now park along our road every day. We do not have any more capacity in this road to take on more cars being parked here. Trust me - it will be a nightmare for all residents in the locality.

Please see Simono's post 'The Greyhound' on 5/4/09 regarding the petition which is being organised against this development. We have tonight leafleted all the local residents who we think will be concerned and affected enough to want to sign the petition. We have had some very concerned residents who are anxious to sign the petition but we need more.

Look at the proposals for that development. The buildings literally dwarf the Greyhound pub - that is how big they want it to be. Please feel free to PM myself or SimonO if you would like to add your name to this petition.

Let's be united in this and not just take whatever they decide to plonk practically in our back gardens. You have a voice and can put a stop to this or at least get the plans amended to reflect our community. We deserve to be heard and listened to.
poppy

Post by poppy »

I agree, I think it is far too big. Half the size would probably be a lot better.

Also, does anyone know if there are any of these 'urban squares' that could be looked to as a case study. So many shops rely on passing trade and lots of people who generally only drive through Sydenham would not know what was there...I am very unsure about this...

Any examples of Wealdfrost's other developments?
bensonby

Post by bensonby »

parker wrote:Im thinking that Lewisham's idea of much improved public transport will mean people dont need cars as it would seem that they are expecting roughly about 25% of the residents to own a car, oh lordy! ...This is Lewisham Council for you, remember! :x

They said something about having ample motorcycle parking and a whopping 56 cycle racks :shock: suppose who needs a car when you have a bicycle and several young children :roll:

How loud would it be for residents living on top of Sydenham Station?! Something like 16 trains an hour! The area should be used for retail and maybe a smaller amount of housing, and how lush would a trendy Pizza Express be at the Greyhound with lovely outdoor seating with nice luxury housing at the back with another 'pocket square' to give the area nice landscaping.
but most people really don't need cars living in London do they? The more restricted and less attractive car-ownership is the better to be perfectly honest...
simono

Post by simono »

The planning application is in and the public consultation is under way and closes on 20 April.
It is different from the original plans - 42 flats, shops, bars and restaurants. 9 parking spaces for all of that but room for 56 bikes!
The building line to the rear of the site next to Peak Hill Gardens is that of the existing building, but it will be half as high again. And it is just as ugly!
I am organising a local petition in opposition.
Anyone want to help please feel free - email me on sjs_oelman@yahoo.co.uk.