Greyhound Pub

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
Wealfrost Ltd

Greyhound Pub

Post by Wealfrost Ltd »

Dear Sydenham residents,
I write to you as a director of Wealdfrost Ltd (the owner of the
Greyhound pub and adjoining land). I thought that you should all be
aware that we are making all efforts to try and keep the site
(especially the pub) as secure as possible.
We have been to the site last Friday and this Monday.
We are also speaking to some security Co's re a monitoring service.
I would also like to add that we are currently speaking to the council
re a new scheme for the site, which includes the retention of the pub.
We will keep you updated with our progress.
I look forward to hearing from you and any comments that you may have.
Kind Regards
Mr A Gerrard
Pat Trembath

Post by Pat Trembath »

After nearly a year of doubt as to the future of the Greyhound this is truly welcome news.

I'm sure residents of Sydenham will look forward to seeing Wealdfrost's plans for this site, which will come at an opportune time and should complement the long overdue facelift to the area around Cobbs Corner and Sydenham Road planned for later this year.
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

Thankyou for posting.

Hopefully you will find that with dialogue with residents we can all get something out of this.

Personally I'd like a pub with character, that we feel safe walking into, something not unlike the Royal Albert in Deptford, the Perry Hill, the mansion in Gypsy Hill (my favourite pub) or the Amersham in New Cross.

But with reasonable prices, nice decor, proper pub food, but quality (steak & Guinness pudding, roasts, Bread and butter pudding, The Odd Salad, a proper ploughmans, Beef Stew etc. Perhaps some real ales from a barrel would be nice so it changes and isn't always the same.

I'd also like a pool table or table football.

At the very least, whatever you do, can you make it look nice (well designed, not boring, not cheap, not modern generic architecture and tacky olde worlde pastiche), something that people will admire and say 'yes, they did a really good job of that'.

But that's just me...perhaps there are others that think like this?

Good luck Mr Gerrard.
poppy

Greyhound

Post by poppy »

Thanks very much for this information.

I agree with most of what Lee has said about a future pub. It might be worth one of your agents visiting the Dolphin pub on the corner of Mayow and Sydenham roads, which was relaunched in Dec 06, on a Friday night to see how well such a high quality business is doing in Sydenham.

There is definately room for another similarish establishment and I am sure it would draw people in from a very large area as it is in such a brilliant location.
simon

Post by simon »

Mr Gerrard,
Thankyou for keeping us informed.
Just one question. When you purchased the Greyhound site did you do so on the condition that Barter Inns were no longer tennants? If so why? If not, were you prepared to buy the site with a functioning pub on site?
Thanks
Simon
Juwlz

Post by Juwlz »

Wow, that is so brilliant Mr Gerrard.

Its like Christmas has come again! :D
ALIB

Post by ALIB »

I do welcome the constructive approach taken by Mr Gerrard and Wealdfrost. This looks like producing some positive results for all concerned. However, in the current economic climate, where pubs seem to be closing rather than opening, I wonder if Mr Gerrard is seeking to retain the pub building for a different use, or to actually retain it as a refurbished and functioning pub.
To me, the retention of the building was the priority,in conjunction with a quality development that would enhance the area.

Alib
Big Ben

Post by Big Ben »

Great news Mr Gerrard - I'm looking forward to seeing initial plans. IMHO the Greyhound site is the key to the regeneration of Sydenham. A restored pub together with some high quality housing will bring new life into the town centre and continue the uplift started by Blue Mountain, Sugahill, Floorzone and others - including of course the much-loved Kirkdale Bookshop.
scott.l.hamilton

Post by scott.l.hamilton »

Mr. Gerrard,

This is great news! I look forward to seeing what the greyhound will become during your ownership. As mentioned previously, there have been some fantastic renovations and "revivals" of some pubs in the area and I agree that the greyhound will (should) be the keystone in the regeneration of Sydenham. One pub recently redone and done nicely is the Plough in East Dulwich. I look forward to the opening!
user100

Post by user100 »

[Decided to remove my original post as it was stupid].

Great news about the Greyhound. Hope the owners can find a way to retain the pub and keep us all happy.
Psi

Post by Psi »

I think there are enormous possibilities for the Greyhound, but best to try and make something quite different from the Dolphin to give the area a bit of variety.

To fit in with the period of some of the surrounding buildings how about a 1930's Art Deco style interior could be very unique as there are very few pubs in this style anywhere but it is not too far from the modern styling of bars.
DaveT

wow!

Post by DaveT »

An art deco bar - what an awesome idea !

"I'm sure that your cool head and undoubted thespian powers will see you through the day, Sir." (Jeeves and Wooster)
poppy

Greyhound

Post by poppy »

I think the Jam Circus/EDT people are planning to build an art deco style building just over the bridge. Somewhere else on here someone said work was due to start in the summer.
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

Is the interior of the greyhound art deco? If not it would be horrible to do some fake pastiche art deco interior for the sake of it in anon art deco building when it has enough original features of its own anyway. That would be horrible and tacky.
poppy

Greyhound

Post by poppy »

I agrfee. I think you should work with what you've got.
Juwlz

Post by Juwlz »

I also agree. The period of the building is not art deco. I think that the interior would suit a plain and simple kind of rustic relaxed style.
poppy

Greyhound pub

Post by poppy »

Or even with lots of nice interior accessories, like chandeliers and lush curtain fabrics. Pretty lamps etc...
rodney

Post by rodney »

A request to Mr Gerrard of Wealdfrost. Could you please clarify...

Will Weadlfrost be re-opening the Greyhound themselves, or will they be looking to find someone who will lease it from them?

If the latter, then there is probably no point any of us putting forward suggestions as to how they would like the new pub to look, until we know with whom we are dealing.

If a leaseholder is the chosen route, then could you also please let us know what steps you have taken to find someone who is willing to take on the pub?

Finally, could you let us know what is the state of the tiled lobby? Was it dismantled? If the tiles have been taken away for storage, can they be re-instated?

Many thanks. We look forward to your reply.
simono

Post by simono »

Just to let everyone know that the security is clearly not that great. This morning yet again someone was again stealing lead from the roof. I called the police and he was arrested. However the building remains insecure and will start to deteriorate rapidly as rain gets in. The possibility of high winds also means that where slates have been stripped others are likely to be dislodged from the roof.
I am sorry to say the new owners are taking no more care of the building than the old ones.
annabel mclaren

Post by annabel mclaren »

Following on from Rodney, for those who have never seen the tiled room of the Greyhound there are pictures and the history of the pub at this link: www.sydenhamsociety.com/W07-Greyhound%20campaign.html
Thanks Simono for keeping an eye on the place - Mr Gerrard, when are you going to sort out the security?