How Cobbs Corner is changing

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
El Cid

How Cobbs Corner is changing

Post by El Cid »

As I walked past the old CAB office this morning, I glanced inside and was delighted to see the extractor units for the new branch of Mama Dough pizza, which currently has branches on Ladywell, Honor Oak, Peckham, and Brixton. A sour dough pizza restaurant will be fantastic addition to Sydenham.

What with The Greyhound and the arrival of Nandos, along with Blue Mountain, Cobbs Corner is set to become a foodie hub for Sydenham.

A consequence of this might be less passing trade for The Dolphin and The Golden Lion. I walked past The Greyhound the other afternoon and there were quite a few people sitting at there tables outside in the sunshine. In contrast, there was no one at the tables outside The Dolphin.
nicknack

Re: How Cobbs Corner is changing

Post by nicknack »

It's going to change massively, when the Nando's opens the corner will become quite busy I imagine. The old snooker hall along the side could well be reopened as bars or restaurants in the future.
monkeyarms

Post by monkeyarms »

The Dolphin's tables are never exactly rammed though, mainly because they've got a large garden out the back, something the Greyhound doesn't have.
Parker1970

Post by Parker1970 »

monkeyarms wrote:The Dolphin's tables are never exactly rammed though, mainly because they've got a large garden out the back, something the Greyhound doesn't have.
Indeed, why sit near noisy traffic when their beer garden is fantastic :)

I live at Cobbs corner and have done for nearly 6 years now, the change is amazing and I can't wait for Nando's and Mama Doughs to get finished (and KFH for that matter), it's completely changed the zone and it will be a much better sight to see for those entering/driving through Sydenham.
MrScott

Post by MrScott »

I must say, I’m really disappointed at KFH taking such a large spot on Cobbs Corner.

There are plenty of other spots on the high street they could have taken, and it’s such a missed opportunity not putting more cafes or small shops in, that could have made the corner a real destination.
owlwise

Post by owlwise »

Good point but the roundabout is an embarrassment, with all the rubbish and carrier bags and drying shrubs. That's what the passing traffic sees as an introduction to Sydenham. Yet, the council has issues with the 'Health and Safety' of the staff who might maintain it. So the solution is not to. It's a joke!
poppy

Post by poppy »

The roundabout is definitely a joke.

I am involved in trying to get more trees for Sydneham high street (see related thread) and next on my list is tackling that roundabout and a very sad looking 'flower' bed at the bottom of Trewsbury Road.

If anyone wants to help me with a bid to the assembly for cash to do something about these or can offer help or advice please message me.
JRobinson

Post by JRobinson »

both the golden lion and the dolphin have outdoor seating front and back now, so the only reason to sit outside on the road side would be if you wanted, or didn't want, the sun, depending on time of day.
most people wouldn't want to sit next to the main road though.
parker

Post by parker »

Anyone else think the new Cobb’s Corner (Used to be the Blue Mountain coffee shop) signage is just God awful?

It looks like a youth club, to think all those years of a filthy awning, big paint job and that signage is the best they can come up with. Such a shame. Get a Starbucks in, I’d rather that than a half ***** effort.
nicknack

Post by nicknack »

parker wrote:Anyone else think the new Cobb’s Corner (Used to be the Blue Mountain coffee shop) signage is just God awful?.
Slightly disappointed in the new lettering, they've gone for cheap & cheerful whereas when the new awning went up I thought they were going for a more classy, gentrified look. Good luck to them though, hope it works for them, definitely don't want a Star*ucks that would be truly God awful!
TeresaR

Post by TeresaR »

poppy wrote:The roundabout is definitely a joke.

I am involved in trying to get more trees for Sydneham high street (see related thread) and next on my list is tackling that roundabout and a very sad looking 'flower' bed at the bottom of Trewsbury Road.

If anyone wants to help me with a bid to the assembly for cash to do something about these or can offer help or advice please message me.
Hi Poppy

I agree the roundabout looks god awful. I think a palm tree and some surrounding plants would look fab. Look at the roundabout on the top of Lordshop Lane they have done a good job of that. I would be happy to support this .
Pally

Post by Pally »

I don't agree about Cobbs Corner Cafe! Its a darn sight better than some of the other shop/cafe fronts around!