What is happening on Sydenham Road right now?

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
poppy

What is happening on Sydenham Road right now?

Post by poppy »

There is an ambulance, many police cars and it's closed off from Girton Road upwards!
chris 1961

Re: What is happening on Sydenham Road right now?

Post by chris 1961 »

DanW

Post by DanW »

Rumour in twitter is motorbike hit a woman near Co-op and police chased the motorcyclist. Lots of emergency services in attendance and roads blocked off.
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

Other way around, I think - the police were already chasing the motorbike, which is why there were so many police immediately on the scene. The motorbike can be seen lying on the road in these photographs, and it looks like other vehicles were involved. https://twitter.com/sydenhamnewsuk/stat ... 8845549573
Parker1970

Post by Parker1970 »

I hope she is okay. Whilst the injury to an innocent bystander is awful, I am still quite glad they are doing something about the motorcyclists/moped riders that are speeding down sydenham road, quite often tooting their horns to tell people to get out of their way. (obviously not all riders, just quite a few in our area giving the decent bikers a bad name)
chrisj1948

Post by chrisj1948 »

Hearsay gleaned from bystanders. Moped involved in robbery, chased by police, failed to stop, struck bus, another vehicle and a pedestrian. One accomplice apprehended. Another one sought.

I have no idea how accurate this is.

Regards
Chris
poppy

Post by poppy »

The speed of traffic on Sydenham road is really bad sometimes.
The junction with Newlands park is often like a race track. Someone almost lost control and hit me and my son as we were waiting to cross recently.
The lights at the junction with Mayow road really don't work properly leaving motorists in the way of pedestrians!
marymck

Post by marymck »

From BBC ...

Severe accident: A212 London both ways
BBC News Travel
A212 London both ways severe accident, at Queensthorpe Road.

A212 London - A212 Sydenham Road in Sydenham closed in both directions at the Queensthorpe Road junction, because of an accident.

To report traffic and travel incidents dial 0330 123 0184 at any time

Posted at 14:50
Woman injured by motorbike being pursued by police
A woman has been rushed to hospital after being hit by a motorbike in Sydenham which was being pursued by a police car.

The Met says at about 11:45 a motorbike rider failed to stop and was then followed down Sydenham Road by a marked police car.

As it made off, the bike hit a female pedestrian, believed to be aged in her mid-50s.

The biker also suffered an injury and has been arrested, the Met has said.

Both the biker and the victim have been taken to hospital where their current conditions are not yet known.

The Met says its Directorate of Professional Standards (DPS) has been informed.

The Independent Office for Police Conduct (IOPC) says it is also aware of the crash.
syd-gal

Post by syd-gal »

http://www.newsshopper.co.uk/news/16690 ... -arrested/

I went past around 5.30pm and the police car that was damaged (in the Twitter photo) was just being loaded on to a truck.
There were still another 4 police cars parked on the high street as well as 2 police bikes, so they obviously weren't needed elsewhere.
John H

Post by John H »

Well it was certainly not a moped. It was a high powered motor bike. With luck this was the noisy reprobate that keeps us all from having our windows open and the injuries are serious enough to keep him off the road for a decade or so.
broken_shaman

Post by broken_shaman »

It was a scooter, widely referred to in the media as a moped, although that classification requires a small engine and, in my mind, pedals.
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

broken_shaman wrote:It was a scooter, widely referred to in the media as a moped, although that classification requires a small engine and, in my mind, pedals.
You’re right. The angle of the photo is deceiving.
chrisj1948

Post by chrisj1948 »

Incidentally, I admire the initiative of Chef's Delight who, whilst their main entrance was within the cordon exclusion zone. had their back door onto the alley behind the shops open, and were ushering people in.

Regards
Chris