New Aldi approved in Bell Green

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham

Moderator: frenzarin

New Aldi approved in Bell Green

Postby JamesSyd » 16 Nov 2018 17:51

Just saw that permission has been granted for the old Toys R Us in Bell Green to become an Aldi.
JamesSyd

Re: New Aldi approved in Bell Green

Postby nicknack » 27 Nov 2018 13:26

Yes! So now they won't need to demoloish the gasholders!
nicknack

Postby JGD » 28 Nov 2018 09:48

Except there is the small matter of the outcome of the Planning Inspectorate Inquiry in 2019.

And the development of an office block and yard with 180 jobs.

And a cafe

And a restaurant

And parking spaces for the Livesey Hall to relieve parking pressure for a quarter of a mile round the Hall.

And Traffic Improvement measures

And the awful vista of the unloved redundant ribs for those adjacent to the site.
JGD

Postby parker » 28 Nov 2018 16:54

I wonder if they moaned as much about air quality when they built the Purley Way.
parker

Postby nicknack » 29 Nov 2018 10:52

Thanks for the answer JGD, interesting stuff - but judging by your reply on the other thread all of this was refused permission and has now been appealed against to be decided by an inquiry next year, so none of it is concrete yet, to coin a phrase?

I love the view of the gasholders, so 'unloved' is not strictly correct, although I do acknowledge I seem to be one of the few not the many on this!
nicknack

Postby JGD » 29 Nov 2018 11:14

nicknack wrote:I love the view of the gasholders, so 'unloved' is not strictly correct, although I do acknowledge I seem to be one of the few not the many on this!

May be a little more balanced than you think nicknack - there is a significant number of supporters of the view of the gas-holders - as demonstrated by the number of signatories to a petition to retain them and the efforts of SydSOC to successfully apply to have a local listing granted.

At the outset my BH and I were relatively neutral to their presence - even though they dominate the vista from the front windows of our house. Our views changed though when we realised how dis-benefited our immediate locale would be by the loss of the Traffic Improvement measures and the provision of the parking to the rear of the Livesey Hall.

Our view evolved - especially when both civic societies objected to the proposals and demonstrated woefully how little they knew of - or valued - the benefits of the redevelopment to which I refer.

And those feelings for the gas-holders moved towards them becoming unloved.
JGD

Postby EUSSR » 29 Nov 2018 17:29

Why on earth people want to protect and have "listed" some old iron girders or whatever these ex gasholders are is beyond me...if these people were around millenia ago we'd still be living in caves and foraging limpets on the sea shores... :roll: ...

is there anything they dont object to !?...answers on a small pin head please...

Get rid of them and build something useful....gasholders with no gas in 'em....pfffft
EUSSR

Return to Town Hall