Supreme Fish Bar

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
GFA

Supreme Fish Bar

Post by GFA »

Does anyone know if the Supreme Fish Bar has changed hands? There's an array of unfamiliar faces behind the counter, they're selling the smallest pieces of cod I've ever seen and I've just eaten something which I'm convinced isn't actually cod!
Syd_Stone

Re: Supreme Fish Bar

Post by Syd_Stone »

Can't speak for whether this is a permanent change of management - but I can similarly say that this new team sold me a piece of fish that most certainly wasn't the cod I ordered. So that's it, another takeaway bites the dust.

Shame, really - It's been very good in the past.
Spark plug

Post by Spark plug »

Ordered cod and chips a couple of weeks ago,again ,no it wasn't cod.Hope they respond here as I won't be back.
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

If they are passing off a cheap fish as cod, perhaps it needs to be reported? There’s the possibility of a public health risk there, i think.

I’m so sad to read this - we’ve been getting our fish there for more than ten years. It was alway fresh, tasty and HUGE.
GFA

Post by GFA »

Rachael wrote: 26 Jan 2019 10:06 If they are passing off a cheap fish as cod, perhaps it needs to be reported? There’s the possibility of a public health risk there, i think.

I’m so sad to read this - we’ve been getting our fish there for more than ten years. It was alway fresh, tasty and HUGE.
I'm not sure what's going on - but I did wonder if they're now using salted cod/pollock, re-hydrating it and frying it. There is a definite aroma, colour and texture to the fish that makes me think this is what could be happening. It could also account for the size of the portions.

Like you, I've eaten there for years and years and have never had any problems with the quality of the fish. It's the very first time I couldn't finish it. Have to say it was pretty unpleasant.
syd-gal

Post by syd-gal »

I haven't been here recently so haven't tried the suspect fish. But I wonder if they are serving panga / pangasius fish, which is a cheap white fish often used instead of cod. If you Google it, you'll see it's got lots of bad mentions!!!
Syd_Stone

Post by Syd_Stone »

Walked past today - there's now a poster outside saying 'Under new management'.

Might just print this forum conversation out and slip it through the letter box if they have one...
GFA

Post by GFA »

Syd_Stone wrote: 26 Jan 2019 18:42 Walked past today - there's now a poster outside saying 'Under new management'.

Might just print this forum conversation out and slip it through the letter box if they have one...
Definitely didn't see that last night - that explains alot ...

Its a shame that rather than keeping the standards up, they're choosing to sell such obviously inferior produce straight away. I definitely won't be buying fish from there again and I won't be the only one - judging by the comments here!

If anyone has any recommendations for a good local chippie, please post them here!
mosy

Post by mosy »

I'm happy to recommend the one at the other end of Newlands Park just before you bump into Penge East Station. (Bus pass holders can jump onto a 75 bus or the other one whose number I forget at the stop near Tesco.)

The Harbour, just beyond Syd. Station towards Kirkdale is good for fish although I find the chips a bit variable. They also do kebabs etc.
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

The one at Penge East station has long been recommended around here. The problem for us is that my OH can’t abide skin on battered fish (it’s not something we’ve come across anywhere outside London). Supreme was the only place we found that did skinless battered fish. 🙁
GFA

Post by GFA »

mosy wrote: 27 Jan 2019 03:22 The Harbour, just beyond Syd. Station towards Kirkdale is good for fish although I find the chips a bit variable. They also do kebabs etc.
I agree about the chips from Harbour - they're crispy and quite oily at the same time (or at least were well over a year ago when I last tried them). At least the cod was actually cod and was nice!
mosy wrote: 27 Jan 2019 03:22
I'm happy to recommend the one at the other end of Newlands Park just before you bump into Penge East Station. (Bus pass holders can jump onto a 75 bus or the other one whose number I forget at the stop near Tesco.)
The other bus is the 194.
lulu1

Post by lulu1 »

Not in Sydenham, but Jolly Bee in Forest Hill (right opposite the train station) is really great. Huge portions, fantastic fish and amazing chips. Service is always good. Only thing to note is that they only take cash. Not sure if they deliver as we always collect.
sparticus

Post by sparticus »

Another long-standing fan of Supreme fish 'n chip shop. Went there last Friday. Very disappointed. Might have to trek up to Penge East in future, though I never thought their offering was as good as Supreme.
KPR

Post by KPR »

Not sure it’s actually changed owners - a lot of local businesses seem to share staff (e.g there used to be a guy who worked at Supreme who also worked at the large Istanbul with the car park). They have a new gang of Turkish staff in there though who don’t seem to be as on it as the last lot, who weren’t as on it as the ones before that, whose photos are still on the wall on the health and safety certificates. The first lot were total fish and chip ninjas - only two of them, whereas now it takes four people to do the same job but not as well. Price has gone up too.

Pizza GOGO is still there though, and they know what they’re doing, even if the main man looks and talks like he’s stoned out of his mind.
SallyBee

Post by SallyBee »

Haha this is timely, no kitchen to speak of yet, can anyone recomend a tasty takeaway for tonight?
Parkrunner

Post by Parkrunner »

SallyBee wrote: 2 Feb 2019 16:00 Haha this is timely, no kitchen to speak of yet, can anyone recomend a tasty takeaway for tonight?
Pizza from Raffaele's every time - you have to collect, though.
GFA

Post by GFA »

sparticus wrote: 30 Jan 2019 09:45 I never thought their offering was as good as Supreme.
I see what you mean. I popped over this evening - the fish was good and the chips were ok.
syenhamboy

Post by syenhamboy »

Rachael wrote: 26 Jan 2019 10:06 If they are passing off a cheap fish as cod, perhaps it needs to be reported? There’s the possibility of a public health risk there, i think.

One way to start a vicious rumour and scaremongering
Last edited by syenhamboy on 3 Feb 2019 13:53, edited 1 time in total.
broken_shaman

Post by broken_shaman »

syenhamboy wrote: 3 Feb 2019 12:25

One way to start a vicious rumour and scaremongering you should be ashamed of yourself for Fake News based on your own insecurities. No justification for saying this. Libel Laws are there for a reason.
WTF. Heavy night?
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

syenhamboy wrote: 3 Feb 2019 12:25

One way to start a vicious rumour and scaremongering
Er, what? I was just responding to several other posters all saying that what they got was not as advertised. Not rumour but direct reported experience. Don’t you think that’s something that should be looked into?