Supreme Fish Bar

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
syenhamboy

Re: Supreme Fish Bar

Post by syenhamboy »

Rachael wrote: 3 Feb 2019 14:56
syenhamboy wrote: 3 Feb 2019 12:25
Rachael wrote: 26 Jan 2019 10:06 If they are passing off a cheap fish as cod, perhaps it needs to be reported? There’s the possibility of a public health risk there, i think.

I’m so sad to read this - we’ve been getting our fish there for more than ten years. It was alway fresh, tasty and HUGE.
One way to start a vicious rumour and scaremongering
Er, what? I was just responding to several other posters all saying that what they got was not as advertised. Not rumour but direct reported experience. Don’t you think that’s something that should be looked into?
People on this forum need to think more carefully about what they write. You can't go accusing someone's business of illegal acitivity without proof. This is someone's livelihood and a load of keyboard warriors have him hung drawn and quartered on nothing more than a load of gossip mongerers anonymously hiding behind their keyboards.

If you think this business is acting illegally then report it through the proper channels.
This forum is not for gossip mongering!!
syenhamboy

Post by syenhamboy »

Rachael wrote: 3 Feb 2019 14:56
syenhamboy wrote: 3 Feb 2019 12:25
Rachael wrote: 26 Jan 2019 10:06 If they are passing off a cheap fish as cod, perhaps it needs to be reported? There’s the possibility of a public health risk there, i think.

I’m so sad to read this - we’ve been getting our fish there for more than ten years. It was alway fresh, tasty and HUGE.
One way to start a vicious rumour and scaremongering
Er, what? I was just responding to several other posters all saying that what they got was not as advertised. Not rumour but direct reported experience. Don’t you think that’s something that should be looked into?
not as advertised

You accused him of a PUBLIC HEALTH RISK with no proof or evidence, - Just idle tittle tattle
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

No one has done anything wrong here. They have reported their actual experience. Ever heard of reviews? Same thing. It’s not gossip or tittle-tattle. My response was exactly what you’ve just yourself suggested, syenhamboy, that IF people have genuine concerns they should consider reporting it for further investigation. I did not make any accusation. I said IF the situation was as ACTUAL customers reported, then that would be a cause for concern. IF. The proper authorities could establish that one way or another. Which is why I suggested that course of action. Seriously, of everyone who contributed to this thread, you attack me for suggesting people follow up in the proper way if they are truly concerned? REALLY?

There are definitely situations where people are unhelpfully negative about businesses on forums. This is not such a case.
Syd_Stone

Post by Syd_Stone »

To my mind this is exactly what a forum discussion *should* be - a way to alert others to issues they may find useful. In this case there's no alleging that my cod wasn't cod - it simply was not cod. And it's good to see that word is clearly getting out about this issue, even though it is disappointing to lose such a previously excellent local chippie.

The ideal ending here is if the people now running Supreme see this thread, respond by changing their ways and we all get what we order. There's surely a decent chance of that, although a simple down-turn in trade might have the same effect, independent of this forum post, of alerting management to the problem.

'Gossip mongering', say what? What a strange reaction - to a FORUM post, of all things! I suppose I can vaguely see how you might read 'there's the possibility of a public health problem" as a troll-like way of ensuring a "there IS a public health problem" rumour - but come on, that's one giant leap, and anyway it's hardly outside the realms of fair comment.

You know what would have prevented all of this? Selling the product as advertised.
Supreme fish bar

Post by Supreme fish bar »

Hi to all we are sorry you have had a bad experience with our cod but we have been in contact with our fish supplier to make sure they send us the best possible cod they have available. We have also been assured by our suppliers that the fish we pay for is cod and nothing else but we will be investigating this matter further to make sure we get what we pay for. As for the sizes of the fish we will be making sure in future portion sizes are better value for money we sincerely apologise for any inconvenience caused.
Pally

Post by Pally »

Hey ...well done for responding "Supreme Fish Bar" :)
GFA

Post by GFA »

Agreed and thank you. I really hope your supplier gets it together. I've always thought it was the best chippie in the area and this was the first time in about 15 years I've ever had such a bad experience. Personally, I'd like to resume getting my fish and chips there without worrying about the quality!
Syd_Stone

Post by Syd_Stone »

So indeed, the internet at its best - potentially! Very glad that you've responded Supreme, and I'll happily return should future reviews posted here report the problem resolved.

Hopefully, whichever part of the supply chain was at fault will not find themselves dealing with any unexpected additional cost implications. But in any event here's to the return of cod - best available or otherwise - to the Supreme menu.

Could I ask - is the fish supplier you've been using different to the one used by the previous management? The cod they used to sell was excellent.
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

Thank you, Supreme, for responding here. I look forward to hearing good reports on your cod soon. (Keep it skinless and you’ll almost certain have my business!)
Supreme fish bar

We can confirm that the fish supplier has always been the same supplier supreme have had in the past and we are working with our suppliers to get the best cod possible to make our customers happy. Hopefully we will see you again in the future
HappySyd

Post by HappySyd »

I’ve been in a few times now. Chips have been consistently good and great size portions. Hubby loves the cod bites. John is super friendly. Good luck to them.

And the curry sauce is fab.
Last edited by HappySyd on 16 Feb 2019 16:13, edited 1 time in total.
Supreme fish bar

Thank you happysyd we look forward to seeing you again.
sparticus

Post by sparticus »

Had fish 'n chips from there on Friday night. Pretty much back to the high standard maintained by the previous management. The power of social media and the willingness of the current owners to listen to feedback seems to have done the job!
Supreme fish bar

Thank you Sparticus we’re glad we are moving in the right direction thanks for the feedback.
Spark plug

Post by Spark plug »

Had cod and chips last night and confirm the cod was 100% as good as it always was.
GFA

Post by GFA »

Spark plug wrote: 19 Feb 2019 08:39 Had cod and chips last night and confirm the cod was 100% as good as it always was.
Its so encouraging to see these comments - I may make a visit at the weekend. If I do, I'll post my comments here as well. Thanks to all who have.
stuart

Post by stuart »

Just to add my two-pennyworth - well I remember when chips were sixpennyworth and cod was for special occasions only - how I appreciate Supreme's response here.

When I was Admin I often got complaints from traders about complaints here. They were hurt, their businesses are their pride and joy, plus probably the mortgage on the house too - and they wanted them removed - forthwith or ...

I tried to persude them that a complaint was a gift. It was their customer's view of their business. Right or wrong it was going to damage their business whether they just stopped buying, told their friends or came here. It may tell you something you don't know about your business - how it looks from the other side of the till. Changing the problem or just perception identified not only gets you the customer back but is a great advertisement for your business.

All businesses make mistakes. The good ones are the first to fix them rather than deny them. Well done Supreme. You are at the wrong end of the street for me so I only come in occasionally. But I will keep coming in occasionally - unlike the Sydenham businesses that don't.

Stuart
Supreme fish bar

Thank you Stuart we look forward to seeing you again.
GFA

Post by GFA »

Well, I agree with all of the positive comments. I popped in this weekend and was so happy to eat freshly fried 100% genuine cod which tasted lovely and was a good size. The unpleasant unidentifiable substitute I ate and failed to finish a few weeks ago, is now a fading memory.

Thank you Supreme for responding in the positive way that you have - by your willingness to respond to the comments raised on this forum and by your action. I'm pleased to say that normal service has now resumed (but please - just keep an eye on your supplier!!!)
Supreme fish bar

Thank you gfa we’re glad you enjoyed your cod and were working with our suppliers to make sure we only get quality fish supplied to us.