Beckenham Beacon Urgent Care Centre

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
Parker1970

Beckenham Beacon Urgent Care Centre

Post by Parker1970 »

Does anyone have any experience of wait times here? I;ve booked an appointment with my Sydenham GP but that is 10 days away and they said if I need to see a doctor sooner I need to go to the Beckenham beacon urgent care centre, I may go if I feel worse but wondered how long the wait time may be (so I can figure out if I need a whole day of work or just half...)

Any advice greatfully received.
stuart

Re: Beckenham Beacon Urgent Care Centre

Post by stuart »

Hi Parker,

Are you with the Sydenham Green practice? You can get an appointment on a Wednesday by turning up at 7am (yes 7am and people do so don't be late). You collect a ticket and come back at 8am when they will give you the actual appointment. Seems crazy but I've used in twice and it works.

Lewisham Hospital also has a GP on hand in the Urgent Care Centre (a subdivision of A&E for less urgent). You need to get your GP's receptionist to refer you. The GP was excellent, 30 min wait.

Thank goodness for the NHS.

Stuart
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Wait times vary hugely at The Beacon! Sometimes the room can be full, sometimes only a few people there. I've not waited more than an hour, but that's based on only a few instances.
Parker1970

Post by Parker1970 »

stuart wrote: 25 Feb 2019 14:17 Hi Parker,

Are you with the Sydenham Green practice? You can get an appointment on a Wednesday by turning up at 7am (yes 7am and people do so don't be late). You collect a ticket and come back at 8am when they will give you the actual appointment. Seems crazy but I've used in twice and it works.

Lewisham Hospital also has a GP on hand in the Urgent Care Centre (a subdivision of A&E for less urgent). You need to get your GP's receptionist to refer you. The GP was excellent, 30 min wait.

Stuart
Wells Park, they told me if I wanted to see a doctor sooner, this centre was the option... Previous surgeries I have been to have had a "Duty Doctor" style system but apparently not Wells park.

Thanks all for the advice, may go on Weds..
Jollylolly

Post by Jollylolly »

We last went on a busy looking Sunday (when I imagine fewer docs?) and the wait was 1 hour. The waiting room was 3/4 full
simon

Post by simon »

My partner went during the Christmas holidays and describes it as very busy. Waited about an hour and a quarter. Top tip: go early in the day.
John H

Post by John H »

stuart wrote: 25 Feb 2019 14:17 Hi Parker,

Stuart
I spent 7 hours at Lewisham Hospital Urgent Care Centre. I went to the reception and they claimed they had called my name (they had not) and that I would have to wait a further 5 hours. I went to Beckenham Beacon and I was seen within a matter of minutes... The irony is I only left one of the GP practices there (responsible for the UGC) recently when my longstanding GP retired.

Sydenham Green offer appointments six weeks hence... We effectively do not have GPs in Sydenham.
alywin

Post by alywin »

OTOH, you can also get appointments with a GP there if your own surgery is overbooked, but only if your surgery has an agreement with them. (I've done it a couple of times when I've needed to see someone urgently and continuity of care wasn't a particular concern). I guess that probably requires you to live in Bromley rather than Lewisham, though.
John H

Post by John H »

alywin wrote: 26 Feb 2019 01:26 OTOH, you can also get appointments with a GP there if your own surgery is overbooked, but only if your surgery has an agreement with them. (I've done it a couple of times when I've needed to see someone urgently and continuity of care wasn't a particular concern). I guess that probably requires you to live in Bromley rather than Lewisham, though.
It is simple enough. There is a triage system in operation at Beckenham Beacon. If the issue is serious enough to warrant a GP consultation you are automatically given one. Living in Bromley is not a requirement. It is a National Health Service.
Parker1970

Post by Parker1970 »

John H wrote: 26 Feb 2019 09:58
alywin wrote: 26 Feb 2019 01:26 OTOH, you can also get appointments with a GP there if your own surgery is overbooked, but only if your surgery has an agreement with them. (I've done it a couple of times when I've needed to see someone urgently and continuity of care wasn't a particular concern). I guess that probably requires you to live in Bromley rather than Lewisham, though.
It is simple enough. There is a triage system in operation at Beckenham Beacon. If the issue is serious enough to warrant a GP consultation you are automatically given one. Living in Bromley is not a requirement. It is a National Health Service.
I'll let you know how I get on tomorrow, decided it cannot wait until 6th March for my GP appointment so off I go in the morning.
alywin

Post by alywin »

Best of luck then, Parker!
John H wrote: 26 Feb 2019 09:58
I was talking about the "overflow GP service" which is offered if you ring your surgery for an on-the-day appointment and they have none left (or if, like me, you specifically ask, as Beckenham is often easier for me to get to than my surgery). You then have a precisely bookable appointment, between 4 and 8 pm, I think - and on the 2 occasions I've used it they've been right on time, which is more than can necessarily be said for my surgery! I think that would require you to be living in Bromley, though. The "triage-and-GP/nurse/other health professional as appropriate" setup is different, and does unfortunately involve a considerable wait at times, especially if you get there once people are getting home from work/school, in my experience.
Parker1970

Post by Parker1970 »

Well, it was not so bad.

I arrived at 1030 (thought it would be best to go whilst others were at work/school) and checked in, was triaged about 10 minutes later and then seen by the doctor about 2 hours after that, which was fine, I had a book to read.

It's a good job I check medications though, I told her I am allergic to Penicillin so we agreed on Erythromycin instead, thinking I would be given a prescription I was quite surprised when she left the room and returned with a box of pills for me... only they were Amoxicillin (penicillin) lol. She was quite red faced when I said with a smile on my face "Are you trying to kill me? :)"
Tadpole

Post by Tadpole »

For future reference for anyone needing GP appt sooner:

https://www.lewishamccg.nhs.uk/your-hea ... ccess.aspx

Phone your GP (wells park should have offered you this service Parker) if no appointments, then ask for the above.
I was asked morning or afternoon, which day I wanted to go.
I was offered an hour from my call but that wasn't convenient.I picked 12.30 next day.
Waited 30 seconds to be called in. Seen by lovely doctor and very pleased with the service.
GFA

Post by GFA »

Tadpole wrote: 27 Feb 2019 17:47 For future reference for anyone needing GP appt sooner:

https://www.lewishamccg.nhs.uk/your-hea ... ccess.aspx

Phone your GP (wells park should have offered you this service Parker) if no appointments, then ask for the above.
I was asked morning or afternoon, which day I wanted to go.
I was offered an hour from my call but that wasn't convenient.I picked 12.30 next day.
Waited 30 seconds to be called in. Seen by lovely doctor and very pleased with the service.
I got an appointment to the Lewisham Hospital GP extended access service via Sydenham Green Group Practice last September. I managed to get a same day appointment - a couple of hours after my call to the surgery. Saw a lovely doctor there too - its a very good service.