SCAMS

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham

Moderator: frenzarin

syenhamboy

SCAMS

Post by syenhamboy » 29 Mar 2019 13:28

Fraudsters send fake Virgin Media emails threatening “automatic disconnection”

Action Fraud has received over 100 reports about fake emails that purport to be from Virgin Media. The emails threaten the recipient with “automatic disconnection” due to “invalid billing information”. The links in the emails lead to genuine-looking phishing websites that are designed to steal your Virgin Media account login details.

Don’t click on the links or attachments in suspicious emails, and never respond to messages that ask for your personal or financial details.

For more information on how to stay secure online, visit www.cyberaware.gov.uk

JGD

Re: SCAMS

Post by JGD » 29 Mar 2019 14:18

I am receiving a new surge of semi-automate calls on my landline purportedly from BT.

An automated voice delivers a monotone message that reports that either my BT service is about to be cut off or my service has been compromised. It then invites you to press key #1 to speak to a technician.

Of course that #1 key must never be pressed. if it is you will be speaking to a criminal scammer who will do their best to convince you to hand over control to your pc or laptop. if they do gain access they will act in the most persuasive fashion to allow them to steal personal details and/or pay money direct to them to "fix" your problem.

It is insidious and is hate ridden, they will abuse you if they feel you are not co-operating with them. They are criminals. They deserve to go to jail.

Don't fall for it.

syenhamboy

Post by syenhamboy » 2 Jul 2019 20:39

Action Fraud have received an increase in reports and intelligence where elderly victims are being targeted by individuals purporting to be police officers or traffic wardens. The victims are being approached whilst parked in a car park and are told by the suspect that they have parked illegally or broken a speed limit and a photo has been taken of their car for ‘evidence’.

Victims are advised that they will face a substantial penalty fine unless they pay a smaller upfront fee immediately. Victims, who opt for paying the smaller penalty, will be directed to a parking meter and asked to enter their card and PIN. These parking meters have been tampered with by the suspect in order to retain the card.

Once the victim inserts their card and are asked for their PIN, the victims are shoulder surfed for their PIN by the suspect. Once victims input their PIN, the card is retained by the machine and victims are told by the suspect to seek help from the company who operates the parking meter or their bank.

What you need to do
• If you are suspicious about the authenticity of the fine, do not pay it until you have verified it with your local council.
• Always shield your PIN from view when using an ATM machine, and never share your PIN with anyone.
• If your bank card is retained by an ATM machine, contact your bank immediately to inform them.

https://www.actionfraudalert.co.uk/

mosy

Post by mosy » 4 Jul 2019 13:18

I've received two or three messages on my landline answerphone that an SMS message awaits, but it starts immediately so I only hear the tail end after the beep has beeped asking me to press buttons. The message says that my SMS incoming message will be deleted after a day, implying an urgency that seems rather unusual. Needless to say, I haven't obliged - or am I missing genuine SMS messages?

Any knowledge please? Ta.