Local Pubs - Best Beer Gardens

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
Mayowthorpe

Local Pubs - Best Beer Gardens

Post by Mayowthorpe »

The Telegraph published its best beer gardens in London for the bank holiday weekend.

Its a premium article, but I can tell you that our local pubs did very well. Noting that seven of these are in South London:

1. The Albion, Islington
2. The People's Park Tavern, Hackney
3. The Eagle, Shepherd's Bush
4. The Wood House, Dulwich (Sydenham Hill)

If we were being picky, we'd say the former home of Joseph Paxton, esteemed architect (he designed the Crystal Palace) and gardener, is actually in Sydenham - not the more salubrious Dulwich, as the pub itself claims. But the beer garden is so big, it could very well straddle two postcodes. There's a Burger Shack in the garden and truly wonderful roasts in the main restaurant. Book a table in one of the giant bird boxes or arrive early to grab the best tables.

39 Sydenham Hill, Sydenham/Dulwich, SE26 6RS

thewoodhousedulwich.co.uk

5. The White Swan, Twickenham
6. The Half Moon, Herne Hill
7. The Duke of Edinburgh, Brixton
8. Magic Garden Pub, Battersea
9. The Castle, Tooting
10. The Dolphin, Sydenham

Forget weed-covered paving and mould-dusted wooden tables: the garden, at this aquatically named South London pub is a modernist masterpiece featuring elegant box hedging and lots of tucked-away corners. Perfect for a date.

121 Sydenham Rd, London SE26 5HB

thedolphinsydenham.com
Ghlpc

Re: Local Pubs - Best Beer Gardens

Post by Ghlpc »

Nice list Mayowthorpe, I love both the Woodhouse and Dolphin gardens, and I'll definitely check out the South London ones!